PDA

View Full Version : How to bridge two wireless routers?

waqasahmed
10th April, 2010, 11:15 PM
Hello guys, before you say I have googled this first(and youtubed it), but its all so confusing lol0and I didnt really get the answer I wanted(and I saw this thread first:http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f20/how-create-wireless-bridge-2748/)

I have a Belkin Wireless N router(dont know the model) and also a Linksys WRT45G, and I was wondering how you would bridge the two routers, so that I can connect my Openmedia's to it to get updates from the PLI server and for more sinister things(The regulars will know what Im on about lol)

I realise homeplugs would be a heck lot easier, but they also cost a lot more as well. ?15 for one with only one ethernet port doesnt really cut it for me and for two receivers, I would need three homeplugs. The same goes for wireless gaming adaptors lol

Help would be appreciated!

EDIT: Ill probably be getting two WRT300N's, and selling my wireless routers, as Ill most likely move to Orange broadband lol(its the cheapest), but Im pretty sure the principal of bridging two devices would remain the same

dctyper
11th April, 2010, 08:19 AM
1st you need to check wether the routers can be bridged, do the check(via google or your manual) and get back to me

dc

waqasahmed
11th April, 2010, 11:09 AM
Hey my Belkin router is a F5D8233 and my Linksys is a WRT54G

Ive also found this when googling
DD-WRT Tutorial 3: Building a Wireless Bridge - www.wi-fiplanet.com (http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3639271)

I would really be wanting to have the Belkin as the main/host router and the Linksys to be the client/secondary router

EDIT: I followed this tutorial
YouTube- DD-WRT Set up a Client Bridge and Repeater Bridge

and now have my WRT54G to act as a bridge, but when wireless is disconnected from a device such as a netbook, I get "limited connectivity" lol

Also, would I need to change the mac address of the Openmedia's using a MAC changer tool?-as we do have two of them, and dont want to cause conflicts

Ive gave it an IP address within my network, and I am able to connect to the router though from any device on the network

waqasahmed
11th April, 2010, 10:53 PM
Right, heres my current network(as shown in the attachment) Using packet tracer, Ive gave both Openmedia's the same MAC address, and surprisingly its giving the green light(as in the attachment)

In the diagram, I havent included any other end devices eg: printers, pcs, wireless pc's etc...

I have managed to FTP to my Openmedia over the network using a netbook(wireless-ly), but when I went to upgrade the image(PLI) on the dreambox, and selected internet update, it said "domain host unreachable" I dont really want this to be a problem when I do c/s, and preferably Ill also want to download bouquets from a PLI/nabilosat server etc...

I am able to type in the IP address of the receiver in to any device thats connected to the local network, with browse access, and I can FTP from any device I wish.

Its just the downloading of new images and bouquets it cant do-it says "domain host unreachable"

EDIT: I can "ping" both the secondary router and the Openmedia, but its just not able to download using "internet update" as opposed to "manual update"

waqasahmed
12th April, 2010, 08:41 PM
Update: Ive got to be the dumbest person ever lol. The reason why when I connected the router to other devices on the network and I got no net connection, was because DHCP was disabled lol

The next bit, I suppose is a pretty noob mistake. In my Openmedia settings, I assigned it the following
IP :192.168.2.11
Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
Gateway :192.168.2.10

That gave it network access, but it wasnt able to connect through the tinternets

I then changed the gateway to 192.168.2.1(the IP of the main router) and it now has access

The main router has an IP address of 192.168.2.1, and the secondary router has one of 192.168.2.10

johndou2011
14th April, 2012, 07:19 PM
Message to grant access

jordigirl
14th April, 2012, 07:21 PM
access denied :roflmao:

ijlal
20th January, 2013, 10:39 PM
there is an option called WPD-check that box and it will bridge to another wifi device and works fine.

mikk
21st January, 2013, 04:35 PM
DD-WRT is all you need. Their site has a wiki that explains everything in detail. I found the hardest part was getting the two routers to mesh.