PDA

View Full Version : The oddest problem i've ever encountered! Please HELPPPPP!!!!

pixiepants
8th November, 2008, 03:32 PM
Hi all, I'm new here, and am very hoping someone can help me on this one!

Here goes...
My friends laptop would not connect to the internet, so i brought her laptop home and worked through the problem, to find a corrupted copy of 'Zonealarm', I removed this and hey presto... problem solved, connected fine to my internet connection.
So Took her laptop back to her, and the damn thing would still not connect, I brought it home again, yep connected fine.
Ok so you think it may be her dsl line? so did i, but when i took my laptop to her place that connected fine.
So in a nutshell...
Her laptop will work at my home, but not hers, my laptop will work fine at her home.
What on earth is this?
btw, the modem and software used were always the same on both laptops and lines.
Sorry for the very longgggg post, but i had to tell the full story.
Help would be so so so appreciated.
Thankyou!

Devilfish
8th November, 2008, 11:04 PM
Are you connecting straight to the modem or via a router?

When you connect your friends laptop, go into the network settings page in the control panel, right click the network adapter and choose 'disable'. Wait 10 secs, right click it again and choose 'enable'.

See if that helps.

pixiepants
9th November, 2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks devilfish, But somehow I seemed to have worked through the problem, actually I think it was more due to a power cut....As i was trying to connect last night, the power went out, and I assume this resset something, cause after that it connected straight away!
Very odd none the less!

caveman_nige
9th November, 2008, 03:00 PM
My sister has a similar prob on her lappy, tried a number of things but was short on time so i did a system restore and took it back a week, is all fine now. I suspected a an MS update nailed it but cannot be sure as i was not given the time...