PDA

View Full Version : linux ubuntu help

2tone
8th November, 2008, 10:03 PM
Have installed linux ubuntu on to a system and seem to be having some probs , trying to install a file in to usr/bin it then says you cant install this some thing about access but im loged in as main user and have checked pass as well even when i go in to the term and type su in and hit enter the type pass says authentication failure . Im not sure maby it was an install problem as when i turn the system of every thing logs out then it just sits there with ubuntu wrote on the screen as if its not shutting down

Devilfish
8th November, 2008, 10:48 PM
Try to reset the root password...

sudo passwd

If that doesn't work, use the CD to boot into recovery mode, you should be able to set the password there.

2tone
9th November, 2008, 11:18 AM
tryed that so i did i think im going to do a new install some thing might have went wrong nothing wants to play

2tone
9th November, 2008, 02:08 PM
well think it was the hard drive i was using as when i did the new install it every thing just shut down so got a new one there and setting it up now

2tone
9th November, 2008, 03:14 PM
Ok this is driving me mad lol every time i try and put a file in usr/bin i get error permission denied it just wount let me install this file im not sure why any help with this would be great thanks

Devilfish
9th November, 2008, 03:48 PM
Did you not set the sudo password during the install process?

2tone
9th November, 2008, 07:31 PM
Did you not set the sudo password during the install process?

more than sure i did if it ask to install updates i can put pass in and it updates so im lost in what is going on here it wount even shut down when i click shut down be trying ever thing with it