PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hawkings Warning

hoggy952
25th April, 2010, 07:33 PM
Aliens almost certainly exist but humans should avoid making contact, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.
In a series for the Discovery Channel the renowned astrophysicist said it was "perfectly rational" to assume intelligent life exists elsewhere.
But he warned that aliens might simply raid Earth for resources, then move on.
"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," he said.
Prof Hawking thinks that, rather than actively trying to communicate with extra-terrestrials, humans should do everything possible to avoid contact.
He explained: "We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet."
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

In the past probes have been sent into space with engravings of human on board and diagrams showing the location of our planet.
Radio beams have been fired into space in the hope of reaching alien civilisations.
Prof Hawking said: "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.
"The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like."
The programme envisages numerous alien species including two-legged herbivores and yellow, lizard-like predators.
But Prof Hawking conceded most life elsewhere in the universe is likely to consist of simple microbes.
In the recent BBC series Wonders of the Solar System, Professor Brian Cox, a physicist from the University of Manchester, also suggested life may exist elsewhere within our solar system.
He said organisms could be present under the ice sheet that envelops Europa, one of Jupiter's moons.
Professor Cox added: "Closer to home, the evidence that life could exist on Mars is growing. :afraid:
"We will only know for sure when the next generation of spacecraft, fine-tuned to search for life, are launched to the moons of Jupiter and the arid plains of Mars in the coming decades."

THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials are almost certain to exist — but that instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.
The suggestions come in a new documentary series in which Hawking, one of the world’s leading scientists, will set out his latest thinking on some of the universe’s greatest mysteries.
Alien life, he will suggest, is almost certain to exist in many other parts of the universe: not just in planets, but perhaps in the centre of stars or even floating in interplanetary space.
Hawking’s logic on aliens is, for him, unusually simple. The universe, he points out, has 100 billion galaxies, each containing hundreds of millions of stars. In such a big place, Earth is unlikely to be the only planet where life has evolved.

“We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach.”
One scene in his documentary for the Discovery Channel shows herds of two-legged herbivores browsing on an alien cliff-face where they are picked off by flying, yellow lizard-like predators. Another shows glowing fluorescent aquatic animals forming vast shoals in the oceans thought to underlie the thick ice coating Europa, one of the moons of Jupiter.
Such scenes are speculative, but Hawking uses them to lead on to a serious point: that a few life forms could be intelligent and pose a threat. Hawking believes that contact with such a species could be devastating for humanity.
He suggests that aliens might simply raid Earth for its resources and then move on:
Hawking’s belief in aliens places him in good scientific company. In his recent Wonders of the Solar System BBC series, Professor Brian Cox backed the idea, too, suggesting Mars, Europa and Titan, a moon of Saturn, as likely places to look.
Similarly, Lord Rees, the astronomer royal, warned in a lecture earlier this year that aliens might prove to be beyond human understanding.
“I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we can’t conceive,” he said. “Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are beyond the capacity of our brains.”
Stephen Hawking's Universe begins on the Discovery Channel on Sunday May 9 at 9pm
source timesonline

patkins
25th April, 2010, 09:16 PM
Very interesting Hoggy,but look at who are trying to make contact. Yes the Yanks..and probably with the mindset of another nation to conquer.

talmadge
26th April, 2010, 02:02 AM
I don't know, I guess I am an optimist on this subject. When Columbus came to America he did it on a simple boat, in search of riches. By the time we are able (if ever)we will have advanced so far, ( hopefully) it wont be in search of riches but for knowledge. Maybe in this galaxy we will find DNA that resembles are own.Surely a life form capable of space travel wont be in search of gold. And if it was why come here go to super massive star explosions. I guess the way I see it; you can find gold and other minerals every were in the universe you just have to look,But earthlings are rare you will only find them here.Just think about how many stars are out there, I think other life forms will be in search of life and knowledge.

ready183
26th April, 2010, 09:58 PM
If you look at us, Humans, we are doing just that to this planet. We are using up all the natrual resorces, when we have used all them, we'll look to other planets in our solar system. When they are gone, we'll look further.

If another world is anything like us they'll be doing the same. Humans are like Cancer, we spread and spread and eventually we'll kill our planet.

Let me ask you this, if it was us and we needed the supplies to survive, some of us would decide to goto war with other worlds to get what we want. Sure some of us are not like that, but the ones who are, govern us all.

maca
26th April, 2010, 10:02 PM
bollox we could survive easily asda is open 24/7 now..

barrowmanandrew
26th April, 2010, 10:10 PM
i am a firm believer in intellegent e.t. life, i think that, if they are far more advanced than us, then they would be friendly. my reasoning being that if they were a violent species like us, they would destroy there own race (as we probably will one day) long before they become capable of reaching other galaxies. if they are non violent then we hace nothing to worry about.

Meat-Head
26th April, 2010, 10:15 PM
i am a firm believer in intellegent e.t. life, i think that, if they are far more advanced than us, then they would be friendly. my reasoning being that if they were a violent species like us, they would destroy there own race (as we probably will one day) long before they become capable of reaching other galaxies. if they are non violent then we hace nothing to worry about.

1) All they need to join DK is a valid e-mail address:roflmao:
2) Have you never seen the film 'Day Of The Triffids'?:roflmao:

barrowmanandrew
26th April, 2010, 11:00 PM
:roflmao::roflmao: i wish they would ~~~~in hurry up, could put them to work on the n3 problem

johnboy1974
27th April, 2010, 11:34 PM
whos to say we wouldnt raid their planets natural resources.

cgscott
27th April, 2010, 11:38 PM
whos to say we wouldnt raid their planets natural resources.

The furthest we have got so far with man is the moon.

I would think that maybe they have better technology than us.

Like pentium 10 processors and xbox 460's. Broadband running at over 1tb and nagra 3 open.

opsmonkey
13th June, 2010, 06:56 PM
Stephen Hawkings can now get a hard on, they uninstalled his pop-up blocker

Cronus
13th June, 2010, 09:19 PM
Stephen Hawking is only worried in case they try to get him on an alien version of Robot Wars!!

BRASS EAGLE
22nd June, 2010, 12:26 AM
Aliens almost certainly exist but humans should avoid making contact, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.
In a series for the Discovery Channel the renowned astrophysicist said it was "perfectly rational" to assume intelligent life exists elsewhere.
"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," he said.
Prof Hawking thinks that, rather than actively trying to communicate with extra-terrestrials, humans should do everything possible to avoid contact.
He explained: "We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet."
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

In the past probes have been sent into space with engravings of human on board and diagrams showing the location of our planet.
Radio beams have been fired into space in the hope of reaching alien civilisations.
Prof Hawking said: "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.
The programme envisages numerous alien species including two-legged herbivores and yellow, lizard-like predators.
But Prof Hawking conceded most life elsewhere in the universe is likely to consist of simple microbes.
In the recent BBC series Wonders of the Solar System, Professor Brian Cox, a physicist from the University of Manchester, also suggested life may exist elsewhere within our solar system.
He said organisms could be present under the ice sheet that envelops Europa, one of Jupiter's moons.
Professor Cox added: "Closer to home, the evidence that life could exist on Mars is growing. :afraid:
"We will only know for sure when the next generation of spacecraft, fine-tuned to search for life, are launched to the moons of Jupiter and the arid plains of Mars in the coming decades."

THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials are almost certain to exist ? but that instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.
The suggestions come in a new documentary series in which Hawking, one of the world?s leading scientists, will set out his latest thinking on some of the universe?s greatest mysteries.
Alien life, he will suggest, is almost certain to exist in many other parts of the universe: not just in planets, but perhaps in the centre of stars or even floating in interplanetary space.
Hawking?s logic on aliens is, for him, unusually simple. The universe, he points out, has 100 billion galaxies, each containing hundreds of millions of stars. In such a big place, Earth is unlikely to be the only planet where life has evolved.

?We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn?t want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach.?
One scene in his documentary for the Discovery Channel shows herds of two-legged herbivores browsing on an alien cliff-face where they are picked off by flying, yellow lizard-like predators. Another shows glowing fluorescent aquatic animals forming vast shoals in the oceans thought to underlie the thick ice coating Europa, one of the moons of Jupiter.
Such scenes are speculative, but Hawking uses them to lead on to a serious point: that a few life forms could be intelligent and pose a threat. Hawking believes that contact with such a species could be devastating for humanity.
He suggests that aliens might simply raid Earth for its resources and then move on:
Hawking?s belief in aliens places him in good scientific company. In his recent Wonders of the Solar System BBC series, Professor Brian Cox backed the idea, too, suggesting Mars, Europa and Titan, a moon of Saturn, as likely places to look.
Similarly, Lord Rees, the astronomer royal, warned in a lecture earlier this year that aliens might prove to be beyond human understanding.
?I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we can?t conceive,? he said. ?Just as a chimpanzee can?t understand quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are beyond the capacity of our brains.?
Stephen Hawking's Universe begins on the Discovery Channel on Sunday May 9 at 9pm
source timesonline

Ive seen 3 strange orbs floating about 1000 meters in the sky,there was no sound at first i thought that they were chineese lanterns but these were in pervect sinc ant they just stoped in mid air and jetted straight up and disapeared? I dont care what any one else thinks or slags me i know what i say in the EH51 area in Scotland

Mobilemick
22nd June, 2010, 10:17 AM
bollox we could survive easily asda is open 24/7 now..

Dont forget Tesco as well

:dito:

dandanthegardeningman
25th June, 2010, 12:15 AM
before we find any other life form we destroy ourselves with greed and religion thats our destiny want want want read the bible its all there

oldeno
25th June, 2010, 05:06 AM
No need to worry.Let it be for new generation to find how they look like.We are glad to live this far.

eleusis211
27th June, 2010, 07:31 AM
crazy!!!!!!

nialler
27th June, 2010, 01:17 PM
crazy!!!!!!

great first post !!!
welcome to dk mate

davieboy.rfc
3rd July, 2010, 12:21 AM
:barscarf:

THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials are almost certain to exist ? but that instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.
The suggestions come in a new documentary series in which Hawking, one of the world?s leading scientists, will set out his latest thinking on some of the universe?s greatest mysteries.
Hawking?s logic on aliens is, for him, unusually simple. The universe, he points out, has 100 billion galaxies, each containing hundreds of millions of stars. In such a big place, Earth is unlikely to be the only planet where life has evolved.

?We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn?t want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach.?
Hawking?s belief in aliens places him in good scientific company. In his recent Wonders of the Solar System BBC series, Professor Brian Cox backed the idea, too, suggesting Mars, Europa and Titan, a moon of Saturn, as likely places to look.
?I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we can?t conceive,? he said. ?Just as a chimpanzee can?t understand quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are beyond the capacity of our brains.?
source timesonline

after watchin V i think we should blow the shit ot of anything that comes near us lol..

hoggy952
10th July, 2010, 07:01 PM
:barscarf:

after watchin V i think we should blow the shit ot of anything that comes near us lol..
if they ever get anywhere near earth we wont stand a chance,
the best thing to do is find them first and suss out if they are friendly or not?.

alexics
10th July, 2010, 10:42 PM
Traveling at the speed of light is impossible so if say their world is 1 light year away they would all be dead by the time they got here. Not much of a fight then. And Stephen Hawking knows this so what the hell is he wittering on about.

mikeslocks
30th December, 2010, 07:25 PM
Silica life forms cell division might not degrade and get old like carbon based humans that mean they could live for ever. Mel Gibson could boar them to death about who already owns everything. Aliens could eliminate the Jersey Shore cast and make life on earth bearable again and reruns of the yankers.

msocsci
30th December, 2010, 09:42 PM
Traveling at the speed of light is impossible.

So how does light travel then? :vroam:

thered
30th December, 2010, 11:20 PM
Traveling at the speed of light is impossible so if say their world is 1 light year away they would all be dead by the time they got here. Not much of a fight then. And Stephen Hawking knows this so what the hell is he wittering on about.

its not impossible there is something that can travel at the speed of light :call2:

but tbh i dont know about all this moon and meeting aliens and space travel i think we are just getting a little bit carried away

i cant even get a letter cos theres an inch of snow outside

alexics
2nd January, 2011, 09:17 AM
Photons are the only thing that can travel at the speed of light and they are considered massless. The amount of energy needed to travel at the speed of light approaches infinity the nearer it gets to that speed. Also the objects mass increases. It's all because of the equation e=mc2. You can plot this relationship using the gamma function but it is a very uninteresting thing to do.

gmb45
2nd January, 2011, 09:20 AM
:cobblers: radio waves travel at the same speed, 186,000 mps

DarkKnight
2nd January, 2011, 02:48 PM
I don't believe everything is what it appears to be, these facts that scientists proclaim to be facts where at one point just an idea, sometimes things are believed until seen in a different light such as the world being flat.

Who is to say that one day we won't find something out that will suggest traveling at the speed of light can be possible ?

Does this video open you're mind at all ?

YouTube - Double slit theory Quantum Physics Animation

nara
2nd January, 2011, 03:52 PM

To what?:confused:

The double slit experiment is standard in the teaching of wave-partical duality.
The effect was first noticed by Isaac Newton in the 17th Century and refined by Thomas Young in the 18th. I learned it in school.

There's nothing "mind opening" about it.

DarkKnight
3rd January, 2011, 11:15 AM
To what?:confused:

The double slit experiment is standard in the teaching of wave-partical duality.
The effect was first noticed by Isaac Newton in the 17th Century and refined by Thomas Young in the 18th. I learned it in school.

There's nothing "mind opening" about it.

It changes behaviour when they try to observe it. As if it knows when it is being watched.

cablefreejunkie
3rd January, 2011, 04:48 PM
I don't believe everything is what it appears to be, these facts that scientists proclaim to be facts where at one point just an idea, sometimes things are believed until seen in a different light such as the world being flat.

Who is to say that one day we won't find something out that will suggest traveling at the speed of light can be possible ?

YouTube - Double slit theory Quantum Physics Animation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ElSXo1HWS4)
i understand what youre saying completely
quite interesting analogy

DarkKnight
5th January, 2011, 03:19 PM
i understand what youre saying completely
quite interesting analogy

Thanks.

At least someone got it.

:D

Bolykop
14th January, 2011, 04:27 PM
Do you think that maybe this is a double bluff? And that Stephen Hawking is telling us to avoid contact because he is " really " an alien pathfinder. So we trust in him for advice...meanwhile the invasion fleet is massing " Out there"..oh .. didn't I nick that from " V " ? well no matter..Murdoch seems to have pulled " V " from Channel 1.. so no one will guess.. :)

tshirtman
14th January, 2011, 11:11 PM
Do you think that maybe this is a double bluff? And that Stephen Hawking is telling us to avoid contact because he is " really " an alien pathfinder. So we trust in him for advice...meanwhile the invasion fleet is massing " Out there"..oh .. didn't I nick that from " V " ? well no matter..Murdoch seems to have pulled " V " from Channel 1.. so no one will guess.. :)

what like a dalek you mean,

alexics
17th January, 2011, 07:12 PM
what like a dalek you mean,

Davros m8. Wheeled around in a machine, synthetic voice. And once you've seen Dr Who the idea of such a threat becomes make believe. Perfect cover.

charlie1952
27th January, 2011, 09:48 PM
i read enough aboot bible john and they didnae catch that scum im quite happy wae beano dandy seems more real