PDA

View Full Version : Where should 20dB In-Line Amplifier go in 30 meter cable?

wasaaye
27th April, 2010, 12:55 PM
Hi

I just bought An 20 dB In-Line Amplifier...and i wonder where should i put it in my 30 meters long cable
I have Dreambox 800 HD Clone

1.close to the dish?
2.close to the box?
3.somewhere in between?

Thanks for all help

southpaw
27th April, 2010, 01:53 PM
ive got mine closest to the box , about 4 foot , on a similar length run as yours ,
I`ve still got a bit of glitching on some hd channels (after doing the C1 cap change) and now have a 13db to 18db booster , read somewhere that this varying booster is the one to go for , not 20db , will change mine later and see if any differance

Skiboy
27th April, 2010, 03:22 PM
Here is a 13 to 18db on ebay if your looking for one guy's.

KONIG in LINE SATELLITE AMPLIFIER.BOOSTER,NEW.... on eBay (end time 07-May-10 23:35:07 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290338850813&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

if you look at some of them selling in-line amps with the cable attached, the cable end that goes in the box is only a foot or so long, so I guess they go near to the box.

cheers

freck
27th April, 2010, 04:40 PM
got mine about 8 inches from box and every hd channel is spot on....nothing to report.
Freck

wasaaye
27th April, 2010, 05:13 PM
I thank you all the info guy..Btw Skiboy..i got the same booster you posted i changed the one with 20 dB
...I got Motorized dish so i'll see how it goes and give some feedback leter;)

Again thanks

bubbles69
27th April, 2010, 06:52 PM
You must use the 13db to 18db SLOPE in line amp,
20 db amp will make it worse...!!!

this below is the correct amp, if think teh one above in ebay listing is correct amp to but the one below is tried and tested by many people,

ukdreamshop - IN-LINE AMPLIFIER FOR DM800HD WITH WEAK DISH SIGNAL INC PATCH CABLE (http://ukdreamshop.com/product.php?id_product=20)

wasaaye
27th April, 2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks bubbles this is the one im using..i think its the same
TV-Sat Combiner-Splitter Digiality Amplifier (K300) | sabsatellite.nl (http://sabsatellite.nl/tv-sat-combiner/128/digiality-amplifier-k300)

bubbles69
27th April, 2010, 08:56 PM
yes that's OK just read the spec on it..!

Sloping type equalizing characteristic curve

damiensk
28th April, 2010, 12:38 AM
ive got the 13 - 18 slope in-line amp, as recomeneded by bubbles69, and indeed it does work.
now i also asked a sat dish installer, and he said to install the amp just after the motor. so in my case it is, lnb, motor, in-line amp, then cable to my reciever.
he said and it makes sence i suppose, you need to boost signal at the strongest point, no point in trying to do boost it when its already lost power.
saying that, i can get to my dish easy enough, as its at the bottom of the garden, but it also is 120 foot away from my reciever, so i did need the extra for the hd channels.

southpaw
28th April, 2010, 11:59 AM
ive got the 13 - 18 slope in-line amp, as recomeneded by bubbles69, and indeed it does work.
now i also asked a sat dish installer, and he said to install the amp just after the motor. so in my case it is, lnb, motor, in-line amp, then cable to my reciever.
he said and it makes sence i suppose, you need to boost signal at the strongest point, no point in trying to do boost it when its already lost power.
saying that, i can get to my dish easy enough, as its at the bottom of the garden, but it also is 120 foot away from my reciever, so i did need the extra for the hd channels.

suppose you would need to do some kind of sealing if its outdoors , as if damp gets down your coax it can cause all kinds of issues

skippydoo
28th April, 2010, 12:27 PM
Mine is inside an IP66/67 weatherproof junction box, can't be too careful ;)

Your local electrical wholesaler will have them, or you could try one of the big local diy sheds if you want to pay through the nose...