PDA

View Full Version : hdmi splitter?

EVERS666
28th April, 2010, 12:14 AM
need to know what is the best splitter to use to link up my V+ cable box and a PS3 to my TV.

i have been googling this and its coming up with splitter cables and splitter box amplifiers?

also what are the best value for money HD cables to use?

on_the_jazz
28th April, 2010, 12:26 AM
need to know what is the best splitter to use to link up my V+ cable box and a PS3 to my TV.

i have been googling this and its coming up with splitter cables and splitter box amplifiers?

also what are the best value for money HD cables to use?

If your tv has one hdmi socket and you want to hook up 2 devices then you'll need a hdmi switch. Something like this:

BELKIN COMPONENTS Belkin HDMI 2-to-1 Video Switch - Video/audio switch - 2 ports - HDMI external : Accessories for your Desktop | Dell UK (http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=bsd&sku=A1928877&cs=ukbsdt1&dgc=SS&cid=41148&lid=1069637&acd=23975883724507155)

As for hd cables, just get the cheapest you can find. The pound shop might have some. The signal is digital so unless there are chunks missing or the connectors are falling off it shouldn't matter what cable you use.

EVERS666
28th April, 2010, 04:40 PM
sold.. will get it now.....
also,
i keep on hearing about fiber optic cables? are these any good or are they a waste of money?

sirlisterofsmeg
28th April, 2010, 06:01 PM
Fibre optic cable
I am assuming that you mean an optical audio cable (SP/DIF)
These are purely for digital audio
So if you wanted to connect you PS3 & V+ to an AV reciever to allow you to get full 5.1/7.1 audio from your kit.
Most AV kit will allow you to output digital audio through an HDMI lead but only if it goes into an AV receiver first and then from the reciever into your display (TV)
Otherwise you will only get stereo sound if you hook them up directly to your TV.
If you do go down this route then you will have to change your sound options on the PS3 and V+ to output via SP/DIF as i believe the default setting is 5.1 via HDMI

sirlisterofsmeg
28th April, 2010, 06:45 PM
Also make sure you get an HDMI switch and not a splitter
Splitters may be cheaper than a switch but they can loose the signal quite easily (They are mainly passive and do not require a power source)
Especially if you dont fully turn off one component before you switch the other on
They get easily confused as to which signal you want to use.
Pay the extra for a dedicated switch which will need a separate power supply.

EVERS666
28th April, 2010, 08:24 PM
yep did mean optical..

am thinking of installing an av receiver and upgrading my surround sound, but need to read up on this first as i haven't a clue at the moment how it works.

How much would i be looking at in total (roughly) for a decent AV set up with speakers with the items listed above connected?

anyway back to the original question,
if i am going to purchase an av receiver, will the item above do the job for the moment or will it be a waste of time?

sirlisterofsmeg
28th April, 2010, 10:26 PM
Most decent AV recievers nowadays have HDMI inputs (At least 2) and 1 HDMI output
This will allow you to connect your V+ & PS3 into it with another HDMI lead to the TV.
Both should output 5.1 audio via the HDMI lead (.75m ?4 from asda)
that way you shouldnt have to buy any optical leads.
Where abouts are you based.
Try your local Richer Sounds if you have one nearby.
They will price match almost any price you can find on the net (dont forget to add delivery costs)
And for 10% of the purchase price you will get a 5year warranty aswell.
you should be able to get a decent amp & spekers for anything from ?200 upwards
DO NOT BUY AN ALL IN ONE SYSTEM
These normally include a DVD/Bluray Player & amp in a single unit but have limited or no input connections (basically they are just a 5.1 DVD player)

Hope this has helped

EVERS666
29th April, 2010, 07:33 PM
live in the midlands, brierley hill area..
got a richer sound in brum i think? what about maplins?

hayley22
29th April, 2010, 07:37 PM
thank you for your message:top:

clem58
4th May, 2010, 07:30 PM
Most decent AV recievers nowadays have HDMI inputs (At least 2) and 1 HDMI output
This will allow you to connect your V+ & PS3 into it with another HDMI lead to the TV.
Both should output 5.1 audio via the HDMI lead (.75m ?4 from asda)
that way you shouldnt have to buy any optical leads.
Where abouts are you based.
Try your local Richer Sounds if you have one nearby.
They will price match almost any price you can find on the net (dont forget to add delivery costs)
And for 10% of the purchase price you will get a 5year warranty aswell.
you should be able to get a decent amp & spekers for anything from ?200 upwards
DO NOT BUY AN ALL IN ONE SYSTEM
These normally include a DVD/Bluray Player & amp in a single unit but have limited or no input connections (basically they are just a 5.1 DVD player)

Hope this has helped I'm thinking of replacing my hi-fi receiver for one with HDMI connections, but i'm a bit puzzled as to how i get HDMI sound when my v+ box & ps3 only have one HDMI each. can you tell me how it would work. :top:

sirlisterofsmeg
4th May, 2010, 09:31 PM
HDMI can carry digital audio & Picture together (Think of it as a HD Scart lead if you will)
The V+ box has HDMI & SP/DIF (Digital Optical) outputs.
I dont have one myself so am unsure as to whether it can carry 5.1 via HDMI (I know that the SKY HD boxes dont)
The PS3 will carry both the picture & 5.1/7.1 audio via the HDMI.
I know there is an option to output 5.1 via an Optical cable on the V+ box as i set a friends up that way. HDMI direct to TV Optical to AV reciever.

So what you will need is
1 HDMI V+ to AV
1 SP/DIF V+ to AV
1 HDMI PS3 to AV
1 HDMI AV to TV

If the V+ can output 5.1 Digital via HDMI the you wont need the SP/DIF

Any decent AV Receiver should do the job
BUT YOU MUST MAKE SURE IT CAN CARRY MULTI CHANNEL AUDIO VIA HDMI AS WELL AS THE VIDEO SIGNAL
This one does
Onkyo TXSR308 Black | AV Receiver With HDMI Interface | Richer Sounds (http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txsr308/onky-txsr308-blk)

This one will only carry the Video
so you will need extra cables for the Audio
Sony STRDH500 Black | AV Receiver With HDMI Interface | Richer Sounds (http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdh500/sony-strdh500)

Let me just point out that I have no affiliation with RS
But i have been buying most of my AV kit from them for over 15 years and their service & knowledge is second to none

Hope this has helped

sirlisterofsmeg
4th May, 2010, 09:50 PM
Just saw your location
You have a RS in your area
Pop into the store and tell them what you want to connect up to it.
Dont let them sell you any cables though they are very expensive from them.
You can pick up HDMI cables for about ?5 at Tesco/Asda etc that will be just as good as an expensive one (They are digital and just carry 1's & 0's)
But seriously think about their 5year warranty as it cant be beaten and is also transferable to a new owner if you ever upgrade and sell the Amp.

clem58
5th May, 2010, 06:33 PM
Just saw your location
You have a RS in your area
Pop into the store and tell them what you want to connect up to it.
Dont let them sell you any cables though they are very expensive from them.
You can pick up HDMI cables for about ?5 at Tesco/Asda etc that will be just as good as an expensive one (They are digital and just carry 1's & 0's)
But seriously think about their 5year warranty as it cant be beaten and is also transferable to a new owner if you ever upgrade and sell the Amp. I buy all my gear in richer sounds probably the best outlets both sides of the pond. I was looking at a receiver at nearly a grand, but when i asked one of the lads to solve the the HDMI sound & vision problem his response wasn't that convincing and at a thousand quid ya gotta be sure that you get what your after.In your opinion can you hear the difference between optic sound HDMI. :top:

macjst35
5th May, 2010, 08:36 PM
Hi peeps try these, sorted me out i needed a splitter for ps3 and sky hd has tv has one hdmi port prices seem reasonable also, http://www.neetcables.com/:top:

sirlisterofsmeg
5th May, 2010, 09:31 PM
Difference between optical & HDMI
HDMI will output full HD Audio Whether it be Dolby HD
or DTS True HD
This will only affect you if your Amp can decode and play the HD Format
Bluray palyers & PS3 will output this format
Plus it also means that you will only need a single cable to connect them.
Have a look at this ONKYO
Onkyo TXSR608 Black | AV Receiver With HDMI Interface | Richer Sounds (http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txsr608/onkyo-txsr608-blk)

Should do everything you need

clem58
6th May, 2010, 12:56 AM
Hi peeps try these, sorted me out i needed a splitter for ps3 and sky hd has tv has one hdmi port prices seem reasonable also, http://www.neetcables.com/:top: Your link didn't link, can you say what it is. And thanks for reply.:top: