PDA

View Full Version : What exactly do i need to buy................

NatWill
12th November, 2008, 06:41 PM
...............if i want to get satellite channels without subscription.
I don't have cable in my area but we have a sky dish fitted with expired subscription. If i get a Dreambox or similar what is involved in getting started viewing all the sat channels and what can i expect to view over say a Humax Freesat box?
Very new to all this, my workmates all have cable so i'm the odd one out and don't know anyone using a satellite system.
Just point me in the right direction please guys/girls, my parents are hopefully getting me the kit for my Christmas prezzy :-)

father ted
12th November, 2008, 06:45 PM
with fixed dish and a dremabox youll get only free to air channels or is that free to view i can never get it right check the red stickies in the sat section am sure youll be fine in there loads of reading for you

Curious123
12th November, 2008, 10:38 PM
Forget about your S*y dish and get your self a 1m motorised dsih and a dreambox and you will be the envy of all your cable friends! I have cable because the wife can't handle all the channels available on sat but I can honestly say that I can get everythying that is available on cable with my sat sytem.

hoopy1888
12th November, 2008, 10:40 PM
Agreed mate, 1m dish, DiseqC 1.2 motor, dreambox with cccam installed and the world will 'open' up.

Curious123
12th November, 2008, 10:47 PM
It is not as simple as it looks I would say about two thirds of the world willopen up and the rest will open with cardsharing but that a completely different story.

hoopy1888
12th November, 2008, 10:59 PM
was trying to hint at that mate, but wasn't sure of the rules here on CS. Need to be careful when discussing these things in some places unfortunately.:beer:

Curious123
12th November, 2008, 11:05 PM
The boss Devilfish is fine with discussion on C/S as long as we do not discuss Rupert Murdoch's company. Personally I thought I had everything with cable than I discovered sat and realised what I had ben missing all these years, now I could do without cable but I am not sure I could do without sat.

hoopy1888
12th November, 2008, 11:09 PM
Man, my dish, box and motor are like a family member. (one that you would actually miss, not a smelly old auntie you just see at xmas)
Lovin the output on 1 west just now, blows socks off any other packages at the mo. Picture quality and programme quality.
Cheers mate

.: JaCkPoT :.
12th November, 2008, 11:53 PM
Get a minimum off 90cm with motor and you will be over the moon. We had everything on satellite without even cardsharing. We only got cable coz my parents wanted some of the foreign channels.
Sat is much better than cable IF you got a motor

felix1
13th November, 2008, 04:42 AM
Get a minimum off 90cm with motor and you will be over the moon. We had everything on satellite without even cardsharing. We only got cable coz my parents wanted some of the foreign channels.
Sat is much better than cable IF you got a motor

firstly let me say i have more than i could want to watch via c/s. what im intersted in is what you can get without c/s. reason being is this is a hobby and once you have things working perfectly ITS BORING AS HELL. so other than softcams, how do you get all these channels.

thanks in advance

ShaGGy
30th November, 2008, 12:05 AM
Hi Guys and Gals

Just signed up to this great forum and thought I'd firstly say hello to all :)

I have in my shed a 1 mtr dish and H2H motor from before I moved to this house and used to use it on the old anolgue channels but them good old days died and I couldn't see ant point in mounting the dish on this house.
But after reading a few posts on here maybe it's time to get back up the ladder and start drilling :)

I was to get up and mount the dish and motor what receiver would you recommend buying (budget is tight but will find extra if needed for better system) and would I need to buy any cams?

I have broadband and router am I right in thinking I can connect to the router to open up more channels?

Sorry for all the questions I currently am paying for murdochs new yacht but I just want to make sure I won`t miss out on anything if I get rid of that box and replace with your recommendations.

thanks

Curious123
30th November, 2008, 12:33 AM
You just need to buy yourself a dreambox dm500 probably ?60-?70 and you are good to go m8.

krazylegz
30th November, 2008, 12:38 AM
one thing you need to be realise m8 is that if you get a satellite box it wont get you murdochs channels for free. you will need to join a cardshare or use your official card in the box but as stated using your card wont get you any more channels than you're current sky box.

but if you decide to join a card share you'll need a linux based box such as a dreambox or ipbox or TM9100 or similar.

you might also need a new universal lnb for you dish dependant on the age of it m8

ShaGGy
30th November, 2008, 12:39 AM
You just need to buy yourself a dreambox dm500 probably ?60-?70 and you are good to go m8.

Thanks Curious

Just had a though would I need a new LNB as the last time I used it was on analogue sat transmissions?

Anywhere you recommend for a box ?

ShaGGy
30th November, 2008, 12:49 AM
one thing you need to be realise m8 is that if you get a satellite box it wont get you murdochs channels for free. you will need to join a cardshare or use your official card in the box but as stated using your card wont get you any more channels than you're current sky box.

but if you decide to join a card share you'll need a linux based box such as a dreambox or ipbox or TM9100 or similar.

you might also need a new universal lnb for you dish dependant on the age of it m8

Thanks M8

I am not too bothered about murdochs channels just having enough English channels to watch mainly.

So from what i gather I can get the box and Possibly a new LNB and I can use my original card to get those channels and the box will do the other sats with software or CS (is CS a free service as I seen someone in another thread warn people away from paying for CS as they are rip off merchants making money from someone else)

Sorry if my questions sound dumb but last time I used sat box it was done through a card programmer and pic chip :)

Curious123
30th November, 2008, 01:10 AM
Cardshare is not exactly free but best described as if all your friends who suscribed to different packages with our dear friend Rupert were to get togather and pool their cards so everyone got the maximum that was available with the cards no matter what package they actually subscribed.

ShaGGy
30th November, 2008, 01:14 AM
Cardshare is not exactly free but best described as if all your friends who suscribed to different packages with our dear friend Rupert were to get togather and pool their cards so everyone got the maximum that was available with the cards no matter what package they actually subscribed.

So i`ll need to find some friends then :laugh: everyone I know has cable :(

Seen some boxes on FeeBay but china ones so i guess these will be clones?

ShaGGy
30th November, 2008, 02:09 AM
Just been reading up on the 500S and it doesn't seem to have the outputs for a motor? how are you guys using a motorised dish with this box?

ShaGGy
30th November, 2008, 02:36 AM
ah just found i would also need to buy a V-Box II or similar to power the H to H mount