PDA

View Full Version : brake light, mot failure ???

Saltire
12th November, 2008, 09:22 PM
If a car has two brake bulbs on either side, and one is out, does that make it fail an mot ?? I.E - two working on left, and only one working on the right.

yamar1
12th November, 2008, 10:19 PM
i would say so yes, for what it takes to fit one just put one in. job done.

Saltire
12th November, 2008, 11:04 PM
i would say so yes, for what it takes to fit one just put one in. job done.

i did try mate, must be summit up with the wiring or summit, tried several bulbs, no joy :(

cgscott
12th November, 2008, 11:21 PM
The wiring should be ok. Take the bulb from the other light and try that just incase yu had duff bulbs.

dctyper
12th November, 2008, 11:22 PM
yes it will fail. you need to check if the power is getting through, try a volt meter and press the brake pedal. if you get nothing you need to work your way back to the source of power to find the fault.

Saltire
12th November, 2008, 11:58 PM
the new bulbs are ok, they have been tested.

my car is under warranty, i guess for such a problem the warranty would cover it, eh ??

Also, talking again about the mot, dont you only need one working brake bulb on either side ?? so in theory i could just take out the other bulb and make it equal, i.e- one bulb on either side ?? i didnt think it would matter having one out as long as the brake bulb below it still worked, but i dunno, thats why i posted.

cactikid
12th November, 2008, 11:58 PM
what make of car? as i know some cars the contact strip gets damaged so needing replacement lamp.

Saltire
13th November, 2008, 12:45 AM
what make of car? as i know some cars the contact strip gets damaged so needing replacement lamp.
it dont matter though really what make it is, does it, its under warranty for such a fault, surley the warranty covers that ?? its not as though its wear n tear.

Saltire
13th November, 2008, 12:58 AM
can someone correct me if iam wrong, is it not right that you only need one fully functioning brake light on either side of the rear of the car ?? if that is correct then i could simply unplug one of the bulbs from the side that has two bulbs working and then that would just leave one working bulb on either side ?? you know what i mean ?

drakov
13th November, 2008, 04:07 AM
can someone correct me if iam wrong, is it not right that you only need one fully functioning brake light on either side of the rear of the car ?? if that is correct then i could simply unplug one of the bulbs from the side that has two bulbs working and then that would just leave one working bulb on either side ?? you know what i mean ?

Well depends on make/model of car, had one in the other day brake lights working, yet the bulbs where blown;), try explaining that one to a paying customer:D, newer cars use a Can Bus system, where cars actually think and fix even if there's a problem, in this case both brake bulbs where faulty (blown filament) ecu recognised there was no resistence in brake bulb feed and introduced a higher output to sidelights (to act as a brake light), if it's a hatchback most likely fault is a break in the wiring just as it passes through the bootlid to main chassis, removing the bulb will most likely pass an mot (unless the tester is a clever ****er), as for warranty, if it's a break in loom where I said that can be regarded as wear and tear as the fault occured due to normal operation of openeing and closing of the tailgate, really depends on the place you bought car from if they will fix or not, in current motor trade climate i think you'll be lucky. So removing the other bulb may allow it to pass the MOT (but no guarantee), if it does you should still get the fault checked out.

Saltire
13th November, 2008, 04:47 AM
surley if the car is under 3 years old and only done 24k miles it cant be down to wear and tear, especially as the hatch is only opened like couple of times a week ??

raffo
14th November, 2008, 11:48 PM
hi i am a mot tester and yes your car should pass mot you still have one on the n/s and one on the o/s. i would pass it with an adivise attached

cactikid
15th November, 2008, 01:51 AM
it dont matter though really what make it is, does it, its under warranty for such a fault, surley the warranty covers that ?? its not as though its wear n tear.
the reason i asked because some problems arise on the same model and its only a guide to pointing u in general direction of fault.
the nct crowd over in irl have their own rules for checking and they do get it wrong.

cactikid
15th November, 2008, 01:56 AM
maybe its a safety issue at night driving behind a car and it slows down by pressing brake and u notice there are 2 bulbs lit on left and only 1 on right,u have taken ur eyes off road to look at brakelight on a car.

Saltire
15th November, 2008, 04:19 AM
ohh well, ~~~~ it then, if thats the case and warranty wont pay to cover repair then i will just pull one of the bulbs out and therefore have 1 brake light on either side, sorted :)

cactikid
15th November, 2008, 12:19 PM
if they know it is suposed to have 2 on each side as some technicians i have found out know about toyota that car will be passed to them,a honda will be passed to a honda technician,etc,its a gamble.

Saltire
15th November, 2008, 08:35 PM
i'll just put it in a little back street dive and hopefully they wont know thier arse from thier elbow, lol.

dctyper
17th November, 2008, 08:43 PM

ALL BRAKE LIGHTS MUST WORK OR YOUR CAR WILL FAIL

thebigman
17th November, 2008, 11:00 PM
ALL BRAKE LIGHTS MUST WORK OR YOUR CAR WILL FAIL
Thats not the case at all there only has to be 2 stoplamps.

thebigman

dctyper
18th November, 2008, 02:35 PM
thomson, although th advise on here is good, i was a service manager for a car dealership for a few years and i am 100% certain that ALL brake lights must work. ie. If you have 1 on either side working but the centre not, you will fail

thebigman
18th November, 2008, 07:13 PM
thomson, although th advise on here is good, i was a service manager for a car dealership for a few years and i am 100% certain that ALL brake lights must work. ie. If you have 1 on either side working but the centre not, you will fail
I am a current tester and I can confirm that as long as you have 2 working stoplamps the car should pass. There is a lot of confusion about stoplamp lamps especially high level stoplamps, these do not have to work the class4 testing manual states that unless the tester can see that these are wired up benifit of doubt should be given to the vehicle presenter. Testers cannot dismantle or remove anything to check this. However i can't gaurentee the tester on the day will pass as a lot of testers missinterpit the rules.

thebigman

dctyper
19th November, 2008, 10:50 PM
i would sack you mate, your a liability

and i would also question the rest of the mot.

X-PAC
20th November, 2008, 01:45 AM
Yep on newer cars anything over 1995 i think it must have the middle brake light working too, it will either be in the rear window or on spoiler.

cactikid
20th November, 2008, 02:18 AM
just think how many cars out there with bulbs gone and wont get them fixed

fms267
20th November, 2008, 07:47 PM
Any obligatory light must work and in good condition
Any additional brake lights fitted must work and in good condition
or should fail MOT

dctyper
20th November, 2008, 11:44 PM
UKMOT.com MOT Manual 1.3 Brakes lights (http://www.ukmot.com/1-3.asp#Text_top)

jurasic
26th November, 2008, 10:51 PM
HI,if the car is fitted with two brake lights as standard, then they both have to work for
the mot. Also check your fuses as some times rear lights are fused independantly side for side.
Trust me,I,m a DOE Inspector.
Jurasic.

offonone
28th November, 2008, 06:16 PM
I had to mot my volvo T5 last weekend and had a high level brake lamp bulb out which I was told was a fail,lucky for me that was all I needed for a pass,makes a nice change:proud:

djcj
28th November, 2008, 09:44 PM
bloody hell getting worse

smirnoff_rules
29th November, 2008, 12:16 AM
I had to mot my volvo T5 last weekend and had a high level brake lamp bulb out which I was told was a fail,lucky for me that was all I needed for a pass,makes a nice change:proud:

thats not right its an optional extra ., u only need two brake lights

Saltire
29th November, 2008, 12:50 AM
anyway guys, i should have posted back to let ya'z know what happened.

Took it back to dealer, they fixed the light under warranty, so that was that, only had a few days of the warranty left too, lol.

and then i got an mot done and guess what ? it passed, thank ~~~~, lol.

I should have asked the tester about the light but i forgot to, but i didnt want to take a chance as some people says its a fail and some say its a pass, so i though well ~~~~ it, might as well have it fixed firstly.

Got a note on the advisory thing saying that there was a slight bit of play in the steering (or summit like that, lol), i guess it cant be dangerous otherwise they wouldnt have passed it, eh ?