PDA

View Full Version : E46 ECU Trouble

Wayne01
2nd May, 2010, 02:14 PM
Hi. I am only new to this site and hope someone out there can help me. I have an E46 318i and have just installed a second hand ECU as the other was burnt out. Do I have to change the vin in the unit or something as the motor will turn over but there is no spark. I was wondering if it will not start because it doesn't respond to the vin in the unit. It is a Bosch 0 261 204 420
Thankful for any help given,
Wayne01

frick
2nd May, 2010, 04:56 PM
Hi,
Has you change the ECU you MUST resyncronize new ECU with EWS.
Your ECU and EWS code did not match that way engine not start.
You must use Progman to do that or ISIS.
Best regrds,

tonemoz
2nd May, 2010, 07:04 PM
depending on ews version fitted, you would need the ews and key from the donor vehicle from which your new dme was sourced

dudmd
3rd May, 2010, 05:37 AM
why not try out bimmerforums or other bmw forums?

Wayne01
3rd May, 2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the response people. I am still trying to figure this out. What is the program I should use to sync. the ECU with?

maaxxyy
3rd May, 2010, 12:22 PM
You need INPA or possibly Pasoft.

Wayne01
5th May, 2010, 05:23 AM
Thanks,
I am in the process of downloading INPA to try that. I have P.A. Soft 1.3.6 but it does not seem to allow me to alter the vin in the DME.

Wayne01
8th May, 2010, 03:43 AM
I have installed EDIABAS/INPA and using just the round obd interface from pasoft it shows the battery on, ignition off. I tried to jump pin 17-20 but the battery signal goes off. Not too sure how else to get this going. Could I please have a little guidance?
Thanks
Wayne

bali motor
8th May, 2010, 04:16 AM
Hi. I am only new to this site and hope someone out there can help me. I have an E46 318i and have just installed a second hand ECU as the other was burnt out. Do I have to change the vin in the unit or something as the motor will turn over but there is no spark. I was wondering if it will not start because it doesn't respond to the vin in the unit. It is a Bosch 0 261 204 420
Thankful for any help given,
Wayne01

you read data flash ecu, and data ews.

and post here..

i will help you..

Wayne01
8th May, 2010, 04:50 AM
Thanks Bali Motor but I am not sure how to get the information you ask for.
Wayne

drifter511
13th May, 2010, 02:53 PM
keep it simple: E46 DME, EWS and cluster stores VIN number of vehicle - the number can be written once only, or you must reflash with virgin files. Thats why you need to have data flash - to make the modules virgin.
drifter511

synkrotronic
13th May, 2010, 10:31 PM
why not try out bimmerforums or other bmw forums?

After all I see forum members helping in what they can...with the possibility to help to solve the problem.

Thanks to all for what i had learn here

synkrotronic
13th May, 2010, 10:44 PM
I have installed EDIABAS/INPA and using just the round obd interface from pasoft it shows the battery on, ignition off. I tried to jump pin 17-20 but the battery signal goes off. Not too sure how else to get this going. Could I please have a little guidance?
Thanks
Wayne

Normaly: pin 20 or 17 is K line and pin 15 is L line

pin 14 positive and pin 19 negative

Maybe need to connect pin 7 obd ...to 20 or to 17

and pin 15 obd... to 15

pin 4,5 obd ...to negative

pin 16 obd ...to positive

Its what i can say...

Wayne01
22nd May, 2010, 12:57 AM
Hi, I am back,
I now have Ediabas/Inpa installed with the appropriate interface. It shows Battery on and Ign. On and seems to be operational. Could some-one assist in how to proceed from here?
Thanks,
Wayne

sloper
6th June, 2010, 05:18 PM
Hello you can try reading the Epromm and send the file to thelegendweb.com to get it virginized ,then do a Synch with ews and car should start .
hope this helps

Alexny1
13th June, 2010, 01:51 AM
I believe it's very simple to swap flash and eeprom from damaged DME to used one, Most of the time EEprom and flash chips are Ok in damaged DME.

mkpapakostas
13th June, 2010, 11:23 AM
I believe it's very simple to swap flash and eeprom from damaged DME to used one, Most of the time EEprom and flash chips are Ok in damaged DME.

If its simple, please tell us :proud: