PDA

View Full Version : Winxp Pro

siddler
13th November, 2008, 09:45 AM
Hi all.....My 1st post on this forum.

Some times when closing pages the mouse locks and changes from the arrow pointer to the glass symbol which hangs.

Hitting ctrl,alt and del keys to bring up the task manager to which appears but still stuck with with the glass symbol?.

I have to switch off the machine and power up again,the problem only shows from time to time,any help would be appreciated.

siddler:confused:

Dreamer
13th November, 2008, 10:26 AM
Is is probably happening with the same program all the time.. Try uninstalling and installing the program again.

smokey_jnr
13th November, 2008, 12:11 PM
what you need to do is to check what processes are running and what is either taking the most CPU or mem usage. start by killing that process and searching google to see what it is..?

when the task manager comes up a it may be slow to respond but you will still be able to click on to the tabs...

siddler
14th November, 2008, 06:04 AM
what you need to do is to check what processes are running and what is either taking the most CPU or mem usage. start by killing that process and searching google to see what it is..?

when the task manager comes up a it may be slow to respond but you will still be able to click on to the tabs... Hi Thanks for prompt reply I will check out what you advise and advise you ...I think It started playing up with a update to IE7 from Microsoft.

Thanks.... siddler.

siddler
14th November, 2008, 06:11 AM
Is is probably happening with the same program all the time.. Try uninstalling and installing the program again. Hi Dreamer,Thanks for the info,I think it came about from MS updates to their browser...I think I will take the upates off one by one and see if thats,s the problem.

Thanks siddler.

smokey_jnr
14th November, 2008, 10:54 AM
try looking on ms website and finding the KB no: ie7 then if you go into windows folder and enable the hidden files you should see all the installed patches, and then uninstall the one for ie7

i think it's this one...
Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB928089)

siddler
18th November, 2008, 07:16 AM
try looking on ms website and finding the KB no: ie7 then if you go into windows folder and enable the hidden files you should see all the installed patches, and then uninstall the one for ie7

i think it's this one...
Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB928089)Hi I have found the problem, afile named "REALSHED" from a deleted program "REALPLAYER" was culprit don't know why it was left behind when the prog was deleted...I had to boot into save mode to get rid of it and the same file was in a "Prefetch" folder.

Thanks for all the advices.

siddler

peggimon
3rd December, 2008, 06:13 PM
Hiya,
this is a familiar thing when programs are unistalled, they always leave registry keys and files there..

I use a small program called "Reg Seeker" and this gets rid of all the useless stuff in the registry...

Hope this helps in future....

siddler
4th December, 2008, 02:49 AM
Hiya,
this is a familiar thing when programs are unistalled, they always leave registry keys and files there..

I use a small program called "Reg Seeker" and this gets rid of all the useless stuff in the registry...

Hope this helps in future.... Hi, Thanks for the info yes you are right I have a program called 'Total uninstal which is used'.

Thanks siddler

dasteph
12th December, 2008, 10:24 AM
try revo uninstaller it takes out the software and any leftover keys in the registry!

dctyper
12th December, 2008, 11:23 AM
sounds like your memory is getting used up, try ccleaner or any of the suggested.

what is the ram on your pc? how much space do you have left on your hard drive?
do you have an anti virus running? these will all effect your performance

siddler
25th May, 2009, 08:58 PM
try revo uninstaller it takes out the software and any leftover keys in the registry!Hi Thanks for the info.

siddler

siddler
25th May, 2009, 09:01 PM
sounds like your memory is getting used up, try ccleaner or any of the suggested.

what is the ram on your pc? how much space do you have left on your hard drive?
do you have an anti virus running? these will all effect your performanceHi Ram is 2Mb Machineis ok now.

Thanks siddler