PDA

View Full Version : My WiFi is to WEAK! help please

Gun_Man
4th May, 2010, 03:27 PM
Hi guys at my mums we are having a problem with getting a wifi signal all over the house. She has a N1 Vision Wireless Modem Router: see link ( hxxp://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=450535) but its just so weak that when you want to use wifi internet on your phone/laptop it drops out and never connects, unless you go and stand right next to the router. So I brought a wifi repeater and installed it in the loft connected with a RJ45 cable. As I was told this will make it stronger and boost the signal more. But still no joy. Still dropping out and weak. So my dad said get an industrial antenna/booster so the wifi is BOOMING all over the place. I have attached a small diagram of the place and the position of the router and repeater for you to understand where I am coming from. But if some one could point me to a website or an item on ebay that I can buy and install that will fix this problem that would be grate. They also have a problem with getting a mobile phone signal and my dad asked is there a small cell phone mast that can be install on the roof that can then go to a antenna witch will allow them to get coverage around the house, this is because that live right in a vally and unless you go stand outside up the hill you cant use your mobile phone. If again any one knows of a website or an item on ebay that I can use/install please let me know.
Cheers a lot guys :beer:

cactikid
4th May, 2010, 07:29 PM
have you tried powering it off for 15 mins then on again maybe just needs a reboot.

Gun_Man
4th May, 2010, 07:35 PM
lol yeah mate i have tried that its not that, I just somthing that I can plug in and it will super boom it out every where so I can even go in the back garden and use the internet on my laptop.

opsmonkey
4th May, 2010, 11:39 PM
you want to get one of these mate.. i can get 3 streets worth of wifi with this plugged into my laptop..

1000mW 1W USB Wireless Wifi Adaptor Antenna Realtek on eBay (end time 25-May-10 08:12:54 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1000mW-1W-USB-Wireless-Wifi-Adaptor-Antenna-Realtek-/160427453356?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255a38abac)

Gun_Man
5th May, 2010, 05:34 AM
Ok so I have made another diagram to show you what I need, just some kind of booster transmitter not a receiver. The reason for this we have all kinds of devices that use Wi Fi at home not just one or two laptops.

hcip
5th May, 2010, 06:20 AM
I use an ordinary router and a salvage sattelite disc to boost my wi-fi signal up to 5 km in distance
I connect the router as a LNB to sattelite disc, but the router has a case to protect to wet during rain
it give me a long distance coverage of my wi fi signal tested in 5 kilometer distance

Gun_Man
5th May, 2010, 06:24 AM
I see what you are saying, but I need it to go through walls and upstairs rather than over a long distance.

hcip
5th May, 2010, 08:53 AM
I see what you are saying, but I need it to go through walls and upstairs rather than over a long distance.

ah ok!, so you need a "High power outdoor Access point"
instead that you use the repeater.
in my country, there is an available Outdoor AP sale on computer store. I am not yet tested this, but some user of this access point told me that its work, this kind of Acces point are used in some establishment, like hotels and enough to deliver a good signal in a whole building

shedder101
8th May, 2010, 09:08 PM
its your environment i would say

i dont know what your house is made of but as a network engineer we have problems with older houses or the area your in has a very strong signal interfering with your wifi

try different channels to see what is best dont just leave the router on automatic

Chicken wire blocking WiFi signals in older homes - FierceBroadbandWireless (http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/chicken-wire-blocking-wifi-signals-older-homes/2010-01-04)

Gun_Man
10th May, 2010, 10:44 PM
Ok so lets try and word this another way and maybe I will get the answer that I am looking for, If I was to set up a very STRONG WiFi connection from just one ADSL connection and modem/router for a large house,hotel, restaurant or coffee shop. i.e when you eat at Mc Donalds you can sit on the other side of their carpark and still get their FREE WiFi connection. But with the router and repeater that I have once you go down stairs you cant even connect. So what kind of industrial repeater/access point would I need? Please can you post a link to ebay or a UK supplier web site, cheers

Gun_Man
11th May, 2010, 04:07 AM
will a wireless G repeater work with a wireless N router?

shedder101
12th May, 2010, 06:50 PM
yes it will but will only accept 54mbps through put

net 26mbs

MC ext have repeaters around the place

you use a wireless detector to see the cold spots and rectify that

Canker_Canison
13th May, 2010, 11:29 AM
You also mentioned a problem with mobile phone reception.

If you know where the nearest mast is for your network you can boost it with a pasive repeater.

Take two digital tv antennas & connect them via standard coax cable. Put one on the roof pointing to the mast & the other in the loft space pointing down into the house.

XHALLO
14th May, 2010, 01:16 PM
Hi you can make parabolic anthena it boost your signal 20 or 30 % works for me ...check youtube , you can make it by your self it cost almost nothing or you can get on e-bay 9 or 12 db anthena it definatly works , i'm cathing signal from neighbours .....lol...

manxspud
22nd May, 2010, 11:21 PM
Sorry just seen this thread.... hopefully by now you are sorted out, however if anybody else reads this heres how to increase the range of wifi...

first you need a router/access point/dongle that has removable aerials. you then replace them with these Omni Directional Antenna.

RP-SMA 2.4 GHz 17dBi WIFI Booster Wireless Antenna WLAN on eBay (end time 14-Jun-10 22:45:15 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RP-SMA-2-4-GHz-17dBi-WIFI-Booster-Wireless-Antenna-WLAN-/390196635893?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item5ad98828f5#ht_3556wt_956)

if you want send/ receive signals in a certain direction use one of these

16 dBi 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g Wifi Yagi Antenna RP-SMA 5M on eBay (end time 28-May-10 01:40:21 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/16-dBi-2-4-GHz-802-11b-g-Wifi-Yagi-Antenna-RP-SMA-5M-/270538321131?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3efd572ceb#ht_3081wt_954)
this one can be fitted out side and is ideal for sending/receiving signals to/from hard to reach areas.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/62099-manxspud/albums/my-recivers/3564-dsc00818-600-x-337.jpg

this one is fitted to a access point behind my tv, it receives
a signal from around 75ft away through 2 walls a hedge and whatever else is in the way lol

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/62099-manxspud/albums/my-recivers/3565-dsc00819-600-x-337.jpg

this one can receive signals err a long way off :roflmao:

if i am feeling really cheeky i use the yagi antena in link 2 and up to now i have a confirmed connection about 700ft away.

unless you live in a palace or castle these will do what you want for a few squid. always buy routers/access points/dongles with changeable antennas.

hope you found this helpful.
regards @manx

GastonJ
22nd May, 2010, 11:33 PM
Ever looked at something like this?

http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/dlan-200-av-wireless-g/pdf/product-sheet-dlan-200-av-wireless-g-uk.pdf

Solwise do a cheaper version

http://www.solwise.com/

Do a search under Homeplug

manxspud
22nd May, 2010, 11:42 PM
82.00 vs say 10.00....

i do not have a internet account so dont really need 1.....;)

plus i think a home plug only works in your own house :aetsch:

Gun_Man
1st June, 2010, 01:28 PM
Ok first of all thanks for the response's
No I have not fixed my problem as of yet but I will look into all the options that you guys have given me.
Also DO NOT try the ?TV aerial to TV aerial? via piece of coaxial cable this dose not work. Also I found out this weekend. I went and brought two aerials costing ?40 connected them via coaxial cable once of them pointing at a small cluster of mobile phone masts in a local town the other pointed directly at my mobile phone and now one bit of difference. It cost ?40 for nothing to not try it. I never thought it would work but I was willing to try anything. As for the wifi what I might do is buy a cheap router on ebay with detachable aerials and buy some super strong ones and super strong repeaters see how that goes.
Cheers guys.

hcip
1st June, 2010, 02:38 PM
I have already try the external antenna to boost the wi-fi signal, it doesnt work instead it drop the signal
I use TP-link router and an external antenna with 3 feet long, it doesnt work, instead the signal drop and cannot reach in the third floor of our building, but the orig antenna of my router reach 2 bar in the 3rd floor

I plan to purchase the outdoor AP like in the picture in Solwise website ,but the brand is not a solwise I think its clone but this is the one available here in my country
I will post the result when I bought

august8
17th July, 2010, 07:50 PM
Try putting the wireless router in different locations in the house, at different heights.

You may also want to try one of those newer N routers as these have better coverage than the older B/G routers.

Try different channels that the wireless router broadcasts on as well. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are non-overlapping channels.

starsky
13th August, 2010, 01:37 PM
? - wtf lol ?

airwaves1
14th August, 2010, 10:26 AM
I recommend you Wimax 3.5Ghz but in some countries it is illegal to use. It's radius is around 10 Km

sanscorp
14th August, 2010, 10:37 AM
you might just wanna try another channel to get a better signal.
No belkin router is so bad that you have no signal at all.

Things like concrete with rebar (walls, floor etc.) in your house are able to ruin it all.

look further before you buy another router for nothing.