PDA

View Full Version : Which scanner to choose?

grr
11th May, 2010, 07:58 AM
I am looking for a scanner for private use on my own cars. I currently have a GT1 system with the fister interface (if it's known to you, bmwecu.org), but it's too old to work on the facelift 1-series, so I don't really need it anymore. I also have an Audi, but I have VAG-COM 704 which works pretty well. I am now considering BMW OPS or to go for a generic scanner, like Autoboss V30. The OPS solution will be the cheapest, but is it a lot of hastle to use?

Are the $1500 Autoboss scanners china copies?

oldford
11th May, 2010, 09:08 AM
If you only want something for BMW have a look here:
BMW and Mini Cooper Model Feature Matrix for the Bavarian Technic Diagnostic tool (http://www.bavariantechnic.com/modelfeaturematrix.aspx)
You can also use your vag-com in OBD2 mode to read out other cars. Works for Iso and Can protocols.

grr
11th May, 2010, 09:19 AM
If you only want something for BMW have a look here:
BMW and Mini Cooper Model Feature Matrix for the Bavarian Technic Diagnostic tool (http://www.bavariantechnic.com/modelfeaturematrix.aspx)
Hmm.. but for that price (of the pro kit, I don't want to be limited to 3 VINs as I swap cars quite often) I could get BMW OPS and an IBM T30 instead, and have ALL possibilities...

However it wouldn't hurt to have a system that could do most cars, that's why I am considering Autoboss. But I am guessing Autoboss from an authorized dealer is a lot more expensive than $1500... (which is enough for private use). No way to get updates on the china versions?

You can also use your vag-com in OBD2 mode to read out other cars. Works for Iso and Can protocols.
I actually didn't know that. Found it on the RossTech website as well now. Looks a bit limited though...

grr
11th May, 2010, 09:25 AM
Definitely. All updates are blocked unless you purchase from a Genuine Autoboss supplier. Details of authorised suppliers are available on their site. Autoboss may not be your best option. I know here in th uk it fairly limited certainly on key prog etc. The best bet is manufacturer specific if you want all functions or take a look at cardaq+ or passthru -xs. Passthru-xs is by Actia who have written alot of manufacturer software and is the best choice for uk and European Vehicles, and CarDaq+ for American and many European and Asian. Buth offer passthru J2534 programming too.
I don't know a lot about programming etc. and I don't think I need it. I've done some basic coding (changing options/behaviours of lighting etc.) and reprogramming some modules for new options added (upgraded clima control, added cruise control etc), but no "custom" programming. The mentioned basic coding and error memory read outs are what I am looking for.

Will do some net research on the Cardaq and the Passthru... they are new to me.

oldford
11th May, 2010, 09:52 AM
Of course OBD2 mode looks limited. It is limited.
It only applies to engines and gearboxes, but it is free and it can be helpful some times.

omglol
11th May, 2010, 11:50 AM
Definitely. All updates are blocked unless you purchase from a Genuine Autoboss supplier. Details of authorised suppliers are available on their site. Autoboss may not be your best option. I know here in th uk it fairly limited certainly on key prog etc. The best bet is manufacturer specific if you want all functions or take a look at cardaq+ or passthru -xs. Passthru-xs is by Actia who have written alot of manufacturer software and is the best choice for uk and European Vehicles, and CarDaq+ for American and many European and Asian. Buth offer passthru J2534 programming too.

Hi! I have Actia Passthru XS+ ... but only software I run on it is Actia Multi-Diag ... are there any other softwares that can run on this interface?

maruti
11th May, 2010, 01:19 PM
can autoboss v30 support indian car model like suzuki , honda , tata , hundyai

omglol
17th May, 2010, 03:13 PM
How? Do you have solution how to get this interface working with Clip/PPS/Lexia?

omglol
19th May, 2010, 03:45 PM
Clip, PPT2000, Lexia and all web based J2534

So, is this just an empty talk or something?