PDA

View Full Version : Updating software version?

Devilfish
11th May, 2010, 05:11 PM
Hi folks,

If I update my software version via iTunes, will I loose all my pics and apps and stuff?

I'm going to try and jailbreak it but I thought I would upgrade from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 first.

Cheers
Devilfish

owenb
11th May, 2010, 05:30 PM
dont bother updating mate 3.1.3 brings very little over 3.1.2 buddy, just jailbreak your 3.12

Devilfish
11th May, 2010, 05:33 PM
Is there an untethered (if that's the right word lol) version for 3.1.2? My brother done his iphone that was on 3.1.2, his battery ran done and when he charged it up, it has done a reset and upgraded to 3.1.3 and he lost all his apps, photos, etc., this is why I'm checking before I do it, don't want to loose everything. I have a backup but the less hassle I give myself the better lol.

Cheers

aftermath
11th May, 2010, 05:37 PM
the latest version of spirit will do, it will keep all your files,photos, apps e.t.c., even if the battery runs out, it will boot ok, without a factory reset.

some usefull posts

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f110/untethered-jailbreak-3-1-3-3gs-about-time-114297/
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f110/jailbreak-3-1-3-a-100634/index5.html
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f110/cydia-sources-114021/

Devilfish
11th May, 2010, 05:40 PM
So I'm best to upgrade to 3.1.3 first then?

And back to my original question lol, if I upgrade, does it keep all your personal stuff?

aftermath
11th May, 2010, 05:43 PM
yes it keeps all your original stuff, i only lost my photo`s , but since then a newer version of spirit has come out that dont delete your photos.

i would leave as 3.1.2, just in case the last few days apple has upgraded their software a little
but i am sure it would be ok.

always best to take a full phone back up before you do it, its always something to go back to

Devilfish
11th May, 2010, 05:57 PM
So I should be ok to use the 3.1.3 version of Spirit on my 3.1.2 phone?

Cheers

aftermath
11th May, 2010, 06:09 PM
I am sure there is only 1 version of spirit, if you run it and it dont detect the iphone version it will tell you.

my iphone is on 3.1.3, and it worked right away, took about 5 seconds .

the box will tell you if it cant be done, else it will carry on and sort it for ya

Canker_Canison
11th May, 2010, 06:10 PM
I would of thought so. Never used it myself but Blackra1n will jailbreak & unlock any 3.1.2 device. So it would follow the Spirit will do the same.

Devilfish
11th May, 2010, 06:38 PM
I ended up upgrading to 3.1.3 before applying Jailbreak. Seemed to go ok, still got everything.

Once more question lol, after Jailbreak is installed, when you go to install a paid for app, should it still say 'Buy Now' or does it change to 'Free'. If it still says buy now, I assume you don't get billed for it?

aftermath
11th May, 2010, 06:45 PM
do you see a new cydia icon on iphone ?

in there you can add the url`s for a download cliend, i am using apptrackr, i will get you the thread that shows how to add it, in a mo.

once you got the apptracr icon on iphone you click on that the same way as you do on itunes , it will show a price but you dont pay.

you will only pay if ya click on the itunes icon for apps.

2 secs will get you more info..

Devilfish
11th May, 2010, 06:47 PM
OK m8 thanks for that.

Yeah I have the Cydia icon.

Fcuk...how I cancel an app that I've started installing lol. I clicked on the normal apps icon to install an app, I assume I'm going to get charged for it now.

aftermath
11th May, 2010, 06:50 PM
itunes apps will ask for a password to install , well mine does.

the jailbreaked apps dont ask for a password.

you can download apps from the web site to PC and drag and drop to your itunes / apps library and they will install when you sync your phone

now to get you that post, lol

EDIT foloow this , post 58, you cant go wrong http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f110/jailbreak-3-1-3-a-100634/index4.html#post570998

aftermath
11th May, 2010, 06:54 PM
I ended up upgrading to 3.1.3 before applying Jailbreak. Seemed to go ok, still got everything.

Once more question lol, after Jailbreak is installed, when you go to install a paid for app, should it still say 'Buy Now' or does it change to 'Free'. If it still says buy now, I assume you don't get billed for it?

the icon should just say " download " and not "buy now "