PDA

View Full Version : unlock 3g iphone on o2

cygnusx1
11th May, 2010, 08:30 PM
Hi

Just purchased a s/h black 3G iphone off fleabay. its locked to o2.
I am not on O2, but would like to unlock it to accept my other carrier.

I have done some research, and want to jailbreak it too to be able to load other apps, but for now unlocking it to accept my carrier sim is my 1st priority!

So first port of call is to determine my current firmware,baseband and bootloader versions, as apparently 5.12.01 or higher cannot yet be unlocked! :(

I have installed itunes on my laptop but when i connect it to the iphone the app complains about compatible sims from supprted carrier so i am unable to proceed into the ihpne menu and verify versions!! :banghead:

help!

cygnusx1
13th May, 2010, 05:45 PM
not 1 reply??

right, purchased a pay as u go sime card from o2, topped it up with ?10 and have now manged to successfully activate the card/iphone combo and test all is working ok.

here are my current s/w levels
version 3.1.3
firmware 05.12.01

supposedly i cannot unlock this due to v3.1.3, so any advice/recommendations besides waiting for v4 to do this??

will jailbreaking allow me to use more apps and customize even if im on a o2 pay2go sim?

mickydibble
13th May, 2010, 11:32 PM
Quick look!! Seems that you could jailbreak but not unlock -as of yet :)

owenb
14th May, 2010, 07:20 AM
no unlock avail for modem firmware ( bootrom) yet mate im afraid have to wait u can jailbreak but u wont be able to use any other sim card than 02 for the time being

cygnusx1
14th May, 2010, 07:53 AM
no unlock avail for modem firmware ( bootrom) yet mate im afraid have to wait u can jailbreak but u wont be able to use any other sim card than 02 for the time being

well as of now i cant use any other so makes no odds!

whats the easiest jalibreak u recommend? blackra1n? will it work with 3.1.3?

aftermath
14th May, 2010, 08:35 AM
well as of now i cant use any other so makes no odds!

whats the easiest jalibreak u recommend? blackra1n? will it work with 3.1.3?

you need spirit jailbreak http://www.spiritjb.com/win

follow this thread for feedback http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f110/untethered-jailbreak-3-1-3-3gs-about-time-114297/

cygnusx1
14th May, 2010, 09:11 AM
you need spirit jailbreak http://www.spiritjb.com/win

follow this thread for feedback http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f110/untethered-jailbreak-3-1-3-3gs-about-time-114297/

cheers yes ive downloaded it but.... :banghead:

No idea why spirit jailbreak button is greyed out! :/

I know my device is activated, official carrier sim ( O2 pay as u go ) so why wont Spirit see my device? Im on 3.1.3

:confused:

aftermath
14th May, 2010, 09:14 AM
did you run in win95 compatibility mode ?
try that if you have not

cygnusx1
14th May, 2010, 09:38 AM
did you run in win95 compatibility mode ?
try that if you have not

tried that too, spirit does load, but the jailbreak button is disabled/grey

aftermath
14th May, 2010, 09:41 AM
you could run your PC in safe mode and try that. Not sure if that works or not but worth a try,
also dont have your phone in any mode, just normal

i have a mate at work on o2 , he is also having problems doing it,

i will have a look for ya..

cygnusx1
14th May, 2010, 09:48 AM
you could run your PC in safe mode and try that. Not sure if that works or not but worth a try,
also dont have your phone in any mode, just normal

i have a mate at work on o2 , he is also having problems doing it,

i will have a look for ya..

as this is a us hack, im wondering if something about uk carrier o2 sim is stopping it? I hope not!! :banghead:

aftermath
14th May, 2010, 09:51 AM
maybe you could try with another sim card in

cygnusx1
14th May, 2010, 10:22 AM
maybe you could try with another sim card in

dont have one, i specifically went out and purchased this yesterday! surely spirit isnt carrier/sim limited?

aftermath
14th May, 2010, 10:26 AM
did you install itunes on your PC ?

also you will need to purchase at least one app from itunes store

cygnusx1
14th May, 2010, 11:00 AM
did you install itunes on your PC ?

also you will need to purchase at least one app from itunes store

if i didnt install itunes i wouldn't have been able to activate my sim.

no i dont need to purchase 1 app - for what? thats a myth .

going round in circles here...

aftermath
14th May, 2010, 11:05 AM
if i didnt install itunes i wouldn't have been able to activate my sim.

no i dont need to purchase 1 app.

going round in circles here...

to use a jailbroken iphone, you will need to purchase 1 app from itunes store

you will have to try on a different PC, do you get an error code on spirit box ?
cant see what you could be doing wrong as its the easiest thing ive ever done.

also it helps when people can give as much info as possible to stop us all going round in circles.

what windows, ?
which version of spirit ?
have you tried spirit in win95 compatibility mode and tried win98 as well.?

aftermath
14th May, 2010, 11:06 AM
as this is a us hack, im wondering if something about uk carrier o2 sim is stopping it? I hope not!! :banghead:

its got nothing to do with a us hack, as once broken you will be using us app sites

cygnusx1
14th May, 2010, 11:12 AM
to use a jailbroken iphone, you will need to purchase 1 app from itunes store

when after its jailbroken? fine... you didnt say that explicitly.

also it helps when people can give as much info as possible to stop us all going round in circles.

what windows, ?
which version of spirit ?

have you read my initial posts...?? all the details are there.
vista, 3.1.3
latest spirit even tried ifixer 1.0, 1.0.1 and 1.02 to help with dl.exe problem.

have you tried spirit in win95 compatibility mode and tried win98 as well.?

not 95, no

theGh0st
15th May, 2010, 09:21 AM
There is another way to get you iPhone unlocked on O2. If your using a Pay as you go sim you can get O2 to unlock it for you via there web site but you have to pay them ?12 for it. It can take upto 2 weeks for the unlock but then you can use any sim card.

cygnusx1
15th May, 2010, 08:53 PM
thnks Gh0st yes im aware of that.

Just an update...

With the patient help of aftermath yesterday I finally managed to not only jailbreak my phone, but also install + configure cydia and install0us for dl'ing apps. I already have a number of super apps running on my iphpne, including tomtom and a few planetarium software apps. cool!

The Spirit exe just wouldnt work on vista, even with ifixer mod. fortunately I have a laptop wth XP on it, and read to try spirit jailbreak under xp instead and I can now confirm it does work under XP, no more annoying dl.exe errors or other &^$&$ when running spirit.

I'll try to do a brief writeup for any1 attempting same on the iphone, to save you the agony i went through :)

Thanks kaos and aftermath for making this possible :rock::top:

marty2810
18th May, 2010, 10:13 PM
think greyed out keys on spirit occurs cos phones not in dfu state (?)

Marty

carlmcb
17th February, 2011, 10:00 PM
can any one tell me if i can unlock my iphone 3gs orange version 4,2,1(8c148a) firmwear 05.15.04 when i got the orange sim in the carries come on but when i take it out it go off. there cut my sim off and the internet tethering just has a thing spining at the side? any one

smirnoff_rules
17th February, 2011, 10:02 PM
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f110/full-untethered-ios-4-2-1-jailbreak-all-ios-devices-188097/