PDA

View Full Version : Walter smith should he be knighted???

lfc4life
12th May, 2010, 09:33 AM
After winning so much with rangers and getting them too Europe more than once i believe he should be knighted :)

lfc4life
12th May, 2010, 09:37 AM
Club
Rangers
Scottish Premier League (9): 1990–91, 1991–92, 1992–93, 1993–94, 1994–95, 1995–96, 1996–97, 2008–09, 2009–10
Scottish Cup (5): 1991–92, 1992–93, 1995–96, 2007–08, 2008–09
Scottish League Cup (5): 1992–93, 1993–94, 1996–97, 2007–08, 2009–10

calvin plummer
12th May, 2010, 10:39 AM
Jog on, he only has to compete against one other team. If Brian Clough didn't get one for actually winning the European Cup back to back why should he get one for just qualifying?

barrowmanandrew
12th May, 2010, 01:04 PM
Jog on, he only has to compete against one other team. If Brian Clough didn't get one for actually winning the European Cup back to back why should he get one for just qualifying?
true, but not his fault, he can only beat whats in front of him

debzDD
12th May, 2010, 01:07 PM
:barscarf:its a matter of when not if the man is a miracle worker & Legend:barscarf:

maca
12th May, 2010, 01:14 PM
may be when he wins something in a harder league.

lfc4life
12th May, 2010, 02:04 PM

he gets an inferior budget to the english premier league. this guy has shown the sort of dedication his life too football that deserves a knighthood. :rock:

barrowmanandrew
12th May, 2010, 03:35 PM
:barscarf:its a matter of when not if the man is a miracle worker & Legend:barscarf:
too rite he is! winning the league the past two seasons is a great achievement, when you consider we'v e not had two brass pennies to rub toghether!!!! when was the last time rangers paid any sort of money for a player? you also have to remember the players sold hutton, fergusson to name but a few. he has been left to "make do" with what he's got... and boy did he make do........ :barscarf::barscarf::barscarf:

leotheloin
12th May, 2010, 07:40 PM
After winning so much with rangers and getting them too Europe more than once i believe he should be knighted :)
More like a blue peter badge just google jock steins RIP..managerial career.:confused:

Bulld0g
12th May, 2010, 07:45 PM
No disrespect to the man or the Scottish league, but even i could win trophies with Celtic or Rangers. He doesn't deserve a knighthood. This is the man who nearly took Everton down in his attempt to manage in the English prem.

No, sorry m8, knighthoods are given out like fliers outside a nightclub these days,so he may get one eventually.

maca
12th May, 2010, 07:48 PM
"This is the man who nearly took Everton down in his attempt to manage in the English prem."

give him knighthood now..

barrowmanandrew
12th May, 2010, 08:52 PM
No disrespect to the man or the Scottish league, but even i could win trophies with Celtic or Rangers. He doesn't deserve a knighthood. This is the man who nearly took Everton down in his attempt to manage in the English prem.

had a bad time at everton,but he wasnt left to manage at everton, he was told to sell top players and cut wage bills, cant hold that against him,.

Bulld0g
12th May, 2010, 08:58 PM
had a bad time at everton,but he wasnt left to manage at everton, he was told to sell top players and cut wage bills, cant hold that against him,.

I'm not holding it against him m8 but i distinctly remember time after time him getting interviewed after a defeat and he would stand there looking lost and saying i'm disqppointed with the result... but he had no conviction or passion in his voice or soul.

As an aside, who did he sell to cut wages ? Not being funny m8, just asking because off the top of my head i can't remember Everton having any big names to sell

barrowmanandrew
12th May, 2010, 09:04 PM
I'm not holding it against him m8 but i distinctly remember time after time him getting interviewed after a defeat and he would stand there looking lost and saying i'm disqppointed with the result... but he had no conviction or passion in his voice or soul.

As an aside, who did he sell to cut wages ? Not being funny m8, just asking because off the top of my head i can't remember Everton having any big names to sell
he sold duncan fergussan for 7 mill to newcaslte michael ball to rangers 5.5 million, im sure he sold other important players for the club. have a read at this (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2009/01/18/walter-smith-i-had-a-tougher-time-at-everton-78057-21050940) mate

boomer39
12th May, 2010, 09:43 PM
just like to put my own and 10000000's other comments...
"BOB PAISLEY"........................... SIR ROBERT...........
get real lads.........

mattybhoy
12th May, 2010, 10:53 PM
More shite by 5life.. Well there's a suprise...

Should have expected it it been a couple of weeks...:laugh:

Totally agree with Bob Paisley. Smith not in the same league as a manager. It's embarrassing to mention them both in the same sentence!

Can I chuck in another 5life? Sir Jock Stein? 9 titles in a row, plus more cups than Smith, plus..oh yeah a European Cup (the first British team to do so & with a team who were all Scottish)! Get real!

mattybhoy
12th May, 2010, 11:05 PM
too rite he is! winning the league the past two seasons is a great achievement, when you consider we'v e not had two brass pennies to rub toghether!!!! when was the last time rangers paid any sort of money for a player? you also have to remember the players sold hutton, fergusson to name but a few. he has been left to "make do" with what he's got... and boy did he make do........

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

& the titles he won in the 90's when Rangers were out spending every other Brittish club!!??? You seem to have a very short memory...

"If Celtic spend ?5, we'll spend ?10!" Remember that quote lads do we?? You probably wont 5life...

barrowmanandrew
12th May, 2010, 11:08 PM
Can I chuck in another 5life? Sir Jock Stein? 9 titles in a row, plus more cups than Smith, plus..oh yeah a European Cup (the first Brittish team to do so & with a team who were all Scottish)! Get real!
cant argue with that, deserves a knighthood too.

thered
14th May, 2010, 07:54 PM
Club
Rangers
Scottish Premier League (9): 1990?91, 1991?92, 1992?93, 1993?94, 1994?95, 1995?96, 1996?97, 2008?09, 2009?10
Scottish Cup (5): 1991?92, 1992?93, 1995?96, 2007?08, 2008?09
Scottish League Cup (5): 1992?93, 1993?94, 1996?97, 2007?08, 2009?10

all these trophies he has had a 50-50 chance of winning

if i were manager of rangers or celtic i could guarantee at least second every year

lfc4life
14th May, 2010, 08:17 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

& the titles he won in the 90's when Rangers were out spending every other Brittish club!!??? You seem to have a very short memory...

"If Celtic spend ?5, we'll spend ?10!" Remember that quote lads do we?? You probably wont 5life...

go **** **** off you fool!!!!! im allowed my opinon you idiot

mattybhoy
14th May, 2010, 09:04 PM
go **** **** off you fool!!!!! im allowed my opinon you idiot

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Now then 5life, no need for that...:)

Seriously, of course you're allowed your opinion, just happens that you either don't know a great deal about football or you should really get your facts right before posting, because you're making yourself look quite silly...

Oh well, as the man said "football is nothing without fans." Even those who don't go anywhere near there teams stadium... Unless it's for a tour...:D

lfc4life
14th May, 2010, 09:10 PM
football is nothing without class hence smith has done what he has done!

boomer39
14th May, 2010, 10:15 PM
lost track here lads... did smith say that? i dont know.. but if you 2 are talking about "class" where, when and how????
btw, as this thread was started about "sir"... what about sir "phil taylor".?? ok some people may say darts is not a sport, but can you think of any other club/player/country who has dominated his/their sport for so long? this guy is a true legend... and he still wants to beat the shit out of everyone...and he's not short of a bob or two!!...

im85
14th May, 2010, 10:51 PM
good manager

cloudnineuk54
14th May, 2010, 10:55 PM
lost track here lads... did smith say that? i dont know.. but if you 2 are talking about "class" where, when and how????
btw, as this thread was started about "sir"... what about sir "phil taylor".?? ok some people may say darts is not a sport, but can you think of any other club/player/country who has dominated his/their sport for so long? this guy is a true legend... and he still wants to beat the shit out of everyone...and he's not short of a bob or two!!...

got to agree with you there,phil the power taylor,arise sir

mattybhoy
14th May, 2010, 11:03 PM
Wouldn't argue with that Boomer. Taylor top of his game for not far short of two decades & like you said, still has the appetite.

Don't know where class has come into it mate?? Was he referring to Smith having class, so he should get a knighthood?? Maybe 5life can enlighten us?

mattybhoy
14th May, 2010, 11:21 PM
More like a blue peter badge just google jock steins RIP..managerial career.:confused:

Spot on mate. Our friend doesn't seem to acknowledge anything to do with the colour green though..

For the record
Stein 10 titles, Smith 9
Stein 9 Scottish cups (including 1 with Dunfirmlin), Smith 5
Stein 6 League cups, Smith 5
Stein 1 European Cup, Smith 0

No brainer.

lfc4life
15th May, 2010, 04:38 AM
yes stein is a legend! And so is smith but because it was done in the last 20 years it doesnt seem too matter. AND remeber apart from maybe maybe one or two seasons then smith has had not much too work with. Like i said earlier his dedication too his job deserves a kinighthood alone!

p.s join my phill taylor should be knighted group please guys thanks - Phil taylor should be Knighted..... | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=118820278129390)

mattybhoy
15th May, 2010, 07:35 AM
yes stein is a legend! And so is smith but because it was done in the last 20 years it doesnt seem too matter. AND remeber apart from maybe maybe one or two seasons then smith has had not much too work with. Like i said earlier his dedication too his job deserves a kinighthood alone!

I think you've got confused or you just don't know your stuff.

Because it was done in last 20 yrs it doesn't matter??? There's many on here including me who can't stand Fergie, but you can not argue with what he's done in the last 20 odd yrs, both with Aberdeen & Man U. He's been given a knighthood - fair enough, but if he's getting one so should have Bob Paisley, Jock Stein & Brian Clough.

As for Smith having "not much to work with". As I've already stated, that's for 2 out of 9 titles in Scotland. The other 7 (which my maths tells me it's the most??) his titles were bank rolled - though I'm not saying that it's that easy. If you can't remember the mid 80's - 90's fair enough, but at least do a wee bit of research. Rangers were spending as much if not more money in that time than any other British club. "Not much to work with!!!"

& Smith's great job he did at Everton nearly taking them down...Look what happened to him when he left a 2 team league?

Bob Paisley, Jock Stein, Brian Clough...'Sir'Walter Smith????? Your man is not in the same league, simple as that.

lfc4life
15th May, 2010, 07:45 AM
like i said i am entitled to my opinion

cloudnineuk54
15th May, 2010, 07:55 AM
like i said i am entitled to my opinion

of course you are mate same as they do,and they will believe there opinion is right,but it aint always is it .

davieboy.rfc
15th May, 2010, 12:06 PM
if walter smith stays on at rangers for a few more years & wins more cups & league titles will he be worthy of a knitehood we shall c but as im biased if he equals or beats steins record then im all for it as for now im just enjoying being the champions as u never know what will happen next..

debzDD
15th May, 2010, 01:37 PM
if walter smith stays on at rangers for a few more years & wins more cups & league titles will he be worthy of a knitehood we shall c but as im biased if he equals or beats steins record then im all for it as for now im just enjoying being the champions as u never know what will happen next..

good to see a grown-up response!

i hate a thread wen it turns to my daddy is bigger than yours:barscarf:

leotheloin
15th May, 2010, 02:44 PM
Well thats a possibility if he dose'nt drop dead in the next few years as a previous poster said it's a two team league so it's a fifthy fifthy chance that he will win somthing:smokin:

lfc4life
15th May, 2010, 03:27 PM
so how many title or trophies does he have too earn then? and its funny how much you diss walter smith but he has seen off how many celtic managers???? :)

opsmonkey
15th May, 2010, 04:28 PM
to be fair... A Knighthood for services to sport would, for me, have to reflect a long tenure and successful one.. The measure of success can't be judged on just 2 teams... The Scottish league is very poor outside the top 2.. Rangers or Celtic are guaranteed a trophy each year..

Ferguson took Utd from has been no marks to the gold standard bearer.. Smith has hardly done the same..

Look at the managers who have been at either Rangers or Celtic.. They can't match the success outside the Scottish league..

I'm sorry but a knighthood is well over the top..

lfc4life
15th May, 2010, 04:43 PM
for a guy that has dedicated his life too football ??? poor or not

boomer39
15th May, 2010, 05:36 PM
for a guy that has dedicated his life too football ??? poor or not
i've devoted my life to lfc... been married for 35 years... should be effin canonised ffs!!!

mattybhoy
15th May, 2010, 07:30 PM
so how many title or trophies does he have too earn then? and its funny how much you diss walter smith but he has seen off how many celtic managers???? :)

I would say a European Cup 5life.. Did you see the common denominator in Paisley, Stein & Clough??

Dedicated his life to football?? What's all that about? How many thousands/millions of others do that!? You're clutching at straws with that one me thinks.

As for seeing off Celtic managers.. Are you counting Strachan in that? & does that get someone a knighthood then? Martin O'neil saw off his fair share of Rangers managers, does he deserve a knighthood?

Not good enough again I'm afraid.

mattybhoy
15th May, 2010, 07:38 PM
to be fair... A Knighthood for services to sport would, for me, have to reflect a long tenure and successful one.. The measure of success can't be judged on just 2 teams... The Scottish league is very poor outside the top 2.. Rangers or Celtic are guaranteed a trophy each year..

Ferguson took Utd from has been no marks to the gold standard bearer.. Smith has hardly done the same..

Look at the managers who have been at either Rangers or Celtic.. They can't match the success outside the Scottish league..

I'm sorry but a knighthood is well over the top..

Totally agree. Though to be fair Celtic & Rangers managers haven't really had the chance to manage any of the top clubs in the EPL, so they are not going to have the same chance of success.

Here's a question...If Smith is that good would any of the top 4 or 5 clubs in the EPL touch him??? Would they be more likely to give a job to Martin O'neil???

lfc4life
15th May, 2010, 08:10 PM
Totally agree. Though to be fair Celtic & Rangers managers haven't really had the chance to manage any of the top clubs in the EPL, so they are not going to have the same chance of success.

Here's a question...If Smith is that good would any of the top 4 or 5 clubs in the EPL touch him??? Would they be more likely to give a job to Martin O'neil???

well martin o'neill blew 4th place when i think he should have got it. but the same happenend last year

mattybhoy
15th May, 2010, 08:21 PM
So your answer is that the top clubs in England would have Walter Smith as manager instead of Martin O'neil??? Smith a man who nearly took Everton down ahead of O'neil who took over Villa when they were looking like relegation contenders & "blew it on not getting 4th place." Interesting...I would be interested to hear other peoples opinion.

I know Liverpool fans are not happy with the Waiter at the moment, but would they be happy with the Walter???

Walter Smith for next manager at Anfield!!

shellbob
15th May, 2010, 08:41 PM
Martin ONeil is a fantastic manager in my opinion and should have been the England manager ahead of Capello and Liverpool should do everything to get him to Anfield.Walter Smith is also a fantastic manager who would be a success in England in my opinion you can only beat what is in front of you as the man said and he has done that so long live Sir Walter.:barscarf:

boomer39
15th May, 2010, 10:55 PM
Martin ONeil is a fantastic manager in my opinion and should have been the England manager ahead of Capello and Liverpool should do everything to get him to Anfield.Walter Smith is also a fantastic manager who would be a success in England in my opinion you can only beat what is in front of you as the man said and he has done that so long live Sir Walter.:barscarf:
as a few people have said... me and my missus could manage celtic or rangers.. o'neil? fantastic? where? why?
answers on a postage stamp please..

maca
15th May, 2010, 10:59 PM
er walter smith has been in england and did a great job if not succsessfull job of trying to get the blue shite relagated :banghead:

mattybhoy
15th May, 2010, 11:09 PM
I hear what your saying. He did an excellent job at Celtic & Leicester. He's doing a decent job at Villa, but I wouldn't be campaigning for him to be knighted. Tactically lacking.

My point was 'if you had to choose' between - him & 'Sir' Walter Smith for the Liverpool job?

mattybhoy
15th May, 2010, 11:12 PM
er walter smith has been in england and did a great job if not succsessfull job of trying to get the blue shite relagated :banghead:

lollollollollol

lfc4life
16th May, 2010, 09:04 AM
I hear what your saying. He did an excellent job at Celtic & Leicester. He's doing a decent job at Villa, but I wouldn't be campaigning for him to be knighted. Tactically lacking.

My point was 'if you had to choose' between - him & 'Sir' Walter Smith for the Liverpool job?

my god you agreeing with me??? lol

Bulld0g
16th May, 2010, 09:08 AM

No i don't think he is m8. he's saying would you rather have O'neil or Smith as the Liverpool manager. Seeing as Smith was less than useless at Everton and O'neil has done well in England, the choice is obvious.

Bulld0g
16th May, 2010, 09:11 AM
Walter Smith is also a fantastic manager who would be a success in England

Are you missing the fact he has managed in England, and was sacked because he nearly got Everton relegated ?

mattybhoy
16th May, 2010, 10:36 AM

Sorry mate I wasn't, although I felt a Cameron & Clegg moment there...lol

Please see Bulldog's post.

lfc4life
16th May, 2010, 09:00 PM
Sorry mate I wasn't, although I felt a Cameron & Clegg moment there...lol

Please see Bulldog's post.

ha ha ha ! o'neill no but mourhino yes :)

davieboy.rfc
16th May, 2010, 09:23 PM
:barscarf:
No i don't think he is m8. he's sayin:congrats:g would you rather have O'neil or Smith as the Liverpool manager. Seeing as Smith was less than useless at Everton and O'neil has done well in England, the choice is obvious.

oniel has had plenty of money 2 spend were smith did not at everton u cant compare them

boomer39
16th May, 2010, 09:49 PM
:barscarf:

oniel has had plenty of money 2 spend were smith did not at everton u cant compare them
about as much as david moyes???

davieboy.rfc
16th May, 2010, 10:06 PM
cmon boomer moyes has had much more money than smith ever did...

mattybhoy
16th May, 2010, 10:30 PM

He had nothing at Leicester & won there first trophy in how many yrs? & got them to respectability in the EPL.

mattybhoy
16th May, 2010, 10:32 PM
ha ha ha ! o'neill no but mourhino yes :)

You've still not answered the question.. So you would have Smith infront of O'neil for the Liverpool job?

davieboy.rfc
16th May, 2010, 10:38 PM
He had nothing at Leicester & won there first trophy in how many yrs? & got them to respectability in the EPL.

peter houston won the cup yesterday does that make him a great manager & got utd respesctibility in the league c were im going with this mattyboy,oneil at astonvilla had loads of doe smith at everton had about a fiver to spend no comparison..

mattybhoy
16th May, 2010, 11:46 PM
No don't see where you're going.

Look back at the posts & you will see that the question is not about O'neil being great.

LFC4life stated that one of the reasons why Smith sould be a 'sir' is that he's 'seen off' many a Celtic manager? I didn't think that was relevant, so I stated that O'neil has seen off Rangers managers (in only 5 yrs in charge) - so should he be knighted aswell!?

Then I posed the question, if Smith is that great surely the big clubs in the EPL would be looking at him? & asked Liverpool fans in particular, given the choice would you go for O'neil or 'Sir' Walt?

thered
17th May, 2010, 09:56 AM
I think you've got confused or you just don't know your stuff.

Because it was done in last 20 yrs it doesn't matter??? There's many on here including me who can't stand Fergie, but you can not argue with what he's done in the last 20 odd yrs, both with Aberdeen & Man U. He's been given a knighthood - fair enough, but if he's getting one so should have Bob Paisley, Jock Stein & Brian Clough.

As for Smith having "not much to work with". As I've already stated, that's for 2 out of 9 titles in Scotland. The other 7 (which my maths tells me it's the most??) his titles were bank rolled - though I'm not saying that it's that easy. If you can't remember the mid 80's - 90's fair enough, but at least do a wee bit of research. Rangers were spending as much if not more money in that time than any other British club. "Not much to work with!!!"

& Smith's great job he did at Everton nearly taking them down...Look what happened to him when he left a 2 team league?

Bob Paisley, Jock Stein, Brian Clough...'Sir'Walter Smith????? Your man is not in the same league, simple as that.

now im not getting into a debate about who should and who shouldnt be knighted and paisly,stein and clough have all done great things and maybe deserve a knighthood but to say that if ferguson has got one so they should is off the mark for me

for a start ferguson has had success domestically and in europe with 2 sides not just one like the rest of these.

stein won nothing else apart from a cup with dunfermline his only accompishments were with celtic who are more or less guaranteed at least second every year

paisly liverpools most succesful manager probably of the 3 mentioned deserves a knighthood more then most but he only managed and had success at one club and inherited his side from shankly it didnt need building

clough remarkable what he did at forest and derby in the beginning he failed miserably at leeds and took forest down eventually he ruined himself and his reputation by staying on too long

only ferguson has had continued success at two clubs aberdeen and united his stint at aberdeen was made more remarkable that he won something by not managing rangers or celtic and is STILL the last manager to win the league in scotland that wasnt from rangers and celtic

he then made manchester united all be it after a shaky start the dominant force of english football and is the most succesful manager in british football

nobody gets close to fergusons trophy cabinet not busby,stein,shankly clough or paisly so how do you compare him

calvin plummer
17th May, 2010, 11:40 AM
To quote the great Brian Clough (who along with Stein and Paisley deserved a knighthood a thousand times more than smith) - "anybody who can do more than make a jumper in Leicester is a genius"

calvin plummer
17th May, 2010, 11:44 AM
As per usual United fans have a short memory, you were all calling for his head. You all wanted Fergie out and indeed he was 90mins away from being sacked if only we'd beaten you in the cup, life would have been very different.

With all his resources he only has the same number of European Cups as BC and one of them barely counts as you weren't champions! Plus you get a go each year, so really not that impressive for the 'biggest team in the world'

C64
17th May, 2010, 12:25 PM
i believe he should be knighted :)

And I believe you should sober up. ;)

All things said, Watty has been a fine manager in the SPL, certainly one of the best SPL managers I can recall, but he's no Alex Ferguson or Tony Mowbray. ;)

:celticparty:

lfc4life
17th May, 2010, 12:37 PM

All things said, Watty has been a fine manager in the SPL, certainly one of the best SPL managers I can recall, but he's no Alex Ferguson or Tony Mowbray. ;)

tony mowbray wtf you having a laugh?

thered
17th May, 2010, 01:49 PM
As per usual United fans have a short memory, you were all calling for his head. You all wanted Fergie out and indeed he was 90mins away from being sacked if only we'd beaten you in the cup, life would have been very different.

With all his resources he only has the same number of European Cups as BC and one of them barely counts as you weren't champions! Plus you get a go each year, so really not that impressive for the 'biggest team in the world'

are you on speaking terms with martin edwards do you know him well?

he proved himself with aberdeen who didnt have as much resources as forest im not saying clougie shouldnt have been knighted or paisley what im saying is Fergusons record as manager is greater than anyones

clough went stale and didnt dare leave in case he became a failure which ultimately he did he went and tried a big club before in leeds and couldnt handle it

boomer39
17th May, 2010, 04:40 PM
are you on speaking terms with martin edwards do you know him well?

he proved himself with aberdeen who didnt have as much resources as forest im not saying clougie shouldnt have been knighted or paisley what im saying is Fergusons record as manager is greater than anyones

clough went stale and didnt dare leave in case he became a failure which ultimately he did he went and tried a big club before in leeds and couldnt handle it
sad to say agree with you 100%. whisky nose did a great job at aberdeen which was the reason you got him. but he was not an overnight success with you was he? who would be?? it took him 5 years to suceed but has continued to win all the major trophies. i would never knock theguy for his achievments but still hate hime with a vengence.... naturally.
as for "sir walter"??? whats the scottish equivilent?? laird of the gorbals? absolutley no comparison between the english and scottish leagues.. but as i've said before on other posts, would love the 2 of them to play in england... but dont think it will ever happen...

chris00751
17th May, 2010, 07:38 PM
You are joking. He won a one horse race.

mattybhoy
17th May, 2010, 07:53 PM

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

mattybhoy
17th May, 2010, 07:55 PM

Yes, I think that's what the Americans call irony..

mattybhoy
17th May, 2010, 08:39 PM
now im not getting into a debate about who should and who shouldnt be knighted and paisly,stein and clough have all done great things and maybe deserve a knighthood but to say that if ferguson has got one so they should is off the mark for me

stein won nothing else apart from a cup with dunfermline his only accompishments were with celtic who are more or less guaranteed at least second every year

paisly liverpools most succesful manager probably of the 3 mentioned deserves a knighthood more then most but he only managed and had success at one club and inherited his side from shankly it didnt need building

clough remarkable what he did at forest and derby in the beginning he failed miserably at leeds and took forest down eventually he ruined himself and his reputation by staying on too long

only ferguson has had continued success at two clubs aberdeen and united his stint at aberdeen was made more remarkable that he won something by not managing rangers or celtic and is STILL the last manager to win the league in scotland that wasnt from rangers and celtic

he then made manchester united all be it after a shaky start the dominant force of english football and is the most succesful manager in british football

nobody gets close to fergusons trophy cabinet not busby,stein,shankly clough or paisly so how do you compare him

Mate, I'm not getting into a debate either about these 4 great managers, all deserve knighthoods in my book.

Totally agree with what you said about Fergie at Aberdeen & what he's done at Man U over a sustained period is special, though he has had an awful lot of dosh to spend...

What Clough did at Derby was great, what he did at Forrest was amazing. 2 European cups on the bounce with a provincial club!

Paisley winning 3 European cups & other european competitions, along with league titles is an amazing record, though I do agree he didn't have to build from scratch, he carried on the work that Shankly started.

Stein was of course the first to win the big cup. He did it with a team all born within 30 miles of Parkhead, which is something that will never be emulated by another club. He dominted in Scotland at a time when Scottish football was strong and it wasn't a 2 horse race. Dunfirmlin semi's in European Cup winners cup, Dundee semi's in European Cup & fairs cup, Rangers 3 times runners up in cup winners cup & winners once. I'm not saying it was the best league in the world, but it wasn't what it is now.

thered
17th May, 2010, 08:52 PM
Mate, I'm not getting into a debate either about these 4 great managers, all deserve knighthoods in my book.

Totally agree with what you said about Fergie at Aberdeen & what he's done at Man U over a sustained period is special, though he has had an awful lot of dosh to spend...

What Clough did at Derby was great, what he did at Forrest was amazing. 2 European cups on the bounce with a provincial club!

Paisley winning 3 European cups & other european competitions, along with league titles is an amazing record, though I do agree he didn't have to build from scratch, he carried on the work that Shankly started.

Stein was of course the first to win the big cup. He did it with a team all born within 30 miles of Parkhead, which is something that will never be emulated by another club. He dominted in Scotland at a time when Scottish football was strong and it wasn't a 2 horse race. Dunfirmlin semi's in European Cup winners cup, Dundee semi's in European Cup & fairs cup, Rangers 3 times runners up in cup winners cup & winners once. I'm not saying it was the best league in the world, but it wasn't what it is now.

all great managers and like i said im not saying who should or shouldnt be knighted they probably all deserve it but mr taggart is ahead of the game in management building team after team and the trophys he has won replacing him will be huge

incidentally fergusons hero in management was jock stein and he regarded him as the best,funnily enough bill shankly said the greatest was matt busby

ferguson worked with stein and was close to busby at old trafford before he passed away so maybe they can take a bit of credit for how he turned out

mattybhoy
17th May, 2010, 09:27 PM
I tell ya what. There's not been many good Scottish keepers :laugh:, but how many good Scottish or even Glaswegians has there been!?

Paisley, Shankly, Stein, Busby, Ferguson...'Sir' Walter..:)

johnboy1974
17th May, 2010, 09:50 PM
well that tosser simon cowal is rumoured to be getting a sirhood so i guess walter should get one too.

C64
17th May, 2010, 09:51 PM

What u mean? ;)

mattybhoy
17th May, 2010, 09:56 PM
To quote the great Brian Clough (who along with Stein and Paisley deserved a knighthood a thousand times more than smith) - "anybody who can do more than make a jumper in Leicester is a genius"

:roflmao::roflmao:

He was/is an absolute legend!:):rock:

boomer39
17th May, 2010, 11:20 PM
I tell ya what. There's not been many good Scottish keepers :laugh:, but how many good Scottish or even Glaswegians has there been!?

Paisley, Shankly, Stein, Busby, Ferguson...'Sir' Walter..:)
er, sir bob... a sweaty?? no way renee....
keepers? any one remember the flying pig? or tommy younger or bert slater?????

mattybhoy
18th May, 2010, 07:19 AM
Ha ha..Apologise I got carried away with Paisley.. Though it's in Scotland! lol

wongers
18th May, 2010, 07:12 PM
in answer to your original question (as usual we've gone all around the houses)personally i'd have martin o'neill he's proved himself in the prem but this doesn't make him a top manager and anyway, we couldn't have smith him being a blueshite reject.

Bulld0g
18th May, 2010, 11:17 PM

for a start ferguson has had success domestically and in europe with 2 sides not just one like the rest of these.

Sir Bob was manager for Nine years in that time he won.Three European cups. Seven titles One Fa cup, One Uefa cup, Two supercups, and Three Leagucups. As well as winning the Manager of the year Six of his Nine years.Nobody gets close ? The reason he only managed one club was because he was at that club for Forty four years.
Not being biased here but his achievements outweigh anyones in the short space of time he achieved them.

cloudnineuk54
18th May, 2010, 11:25 PM
can i just ask,if he managed for 9 years,but was at the club for forty years,what did he do in in the rest of that time,player? maybe a stupid thing to ask but id like to know,and yes your right in nine years that achievment is remarkable

boomer39
19th May, 2010, 10:05 AM
can i just ask,if he managed for 9 years,but was at the club for forty years,what did he do in in the rest of that time,player? maybe a stupid thing to ask but id like to know,and yes your right in nine years that achievment is remarkable
player, sponge man, trainer, coach, assistant manager...the full monty... a true football legend...

thered
19th May, 2010, 11:26 AM
Sir Bob was manager for Nine years in that time he won.Three European cups. Seven titles One Fa cup, One Uefa cup, Two supercups, and Three Leagucups. As well as winning the Manager of the year Six of his Nine years.Nobody gets close ? The reason he only managed one club was because he was at that club for Forty four years.
Not being biased here but his achievements outweigh anyones in the short space of time he achieved them.

not knocking paisly,clough or anyone else here what they have all done is amazing

but he inherited probably the best team in the country at the time it was half done already although he had more success than shankly shankly was the one who built the club

on terms of trophys to seasons ratio he is the greatest manager in english football history no question

but can you judge a career on only 9 years and ratio of trophys won when the groundwork was done for him

if so is tommy taylor englands greatest striker after he scored 16 goals in 19 games before munich

or do you need to look over a career to judge his standing i think the latter and thats why ferguson IMO is at the top in my book,if 9 years is a career in management he's wasted a lot of time doing nothing

The Yeti
19th May, 2010, 03:07 PM
Have a look at his record in competitions other than those run by the corrupt officials up in scotland - his Euorpean record is 'particularly' impressive.

boomer39
19th May, 2010, 04:40 PM
@ thered.
understand what you mean, i would not, could not underestimate what he has done for you. but also by your reasoning, your club was built by your manager. do you forget what sir matt did for you? another true legend...
heres one more for you... bobby charlton or george best. if you had to choose to knight , who would you pick( prior to bobby being knighted, that is)???

thered
19th May, 2010, 05:35 PM
@ thered.
understand what you mean, i would not, could not underestimate what he has done for you. but also by your reasoning, your club was built by your manager. do you forget what sir matt did for you? another true legend...
heres one more for you... bobby charlton or george best. if you had to choose to knight , who would you pick( prior to bobby being knighted, that is)???

not saying ferguson built the club matt busby made united what it is today and what happened in 58 although a tragedy galvanised the club and made it argueably the biggest club in the country

alex ferguson merely awoke it again after 26 years of slumber and an odd cup run and then took it too a different level of domination that busby couldnt even muster in fact only yourselves in england have known domination like it

the only difference for me is ferguson done it himself shankly did a lot of paislys work for him followed by fagan then dalglish a sustained spell of greatness for LFC but management was shared

if paisly had started as manager instead of shankly and then had the same success as himself and shankly combined i would have to concede that paisly had the better record of the 2 without question

as for knighthoods for others best and charlton were before my time but i can see why one was knighted and not the other denis law would maybe deserve a shout i dont know what the criteria is for a knighthood but i can see sometimes why people do get overlooked

and as i said earlier im not saying that paisly,shankly,stein,clough,herbert chapman,bill nicholson or anyone else shouldnt be knighted they probably deserve a shout but i just think that fergusons record is better so you cant really compare him getting a knighthod to anyone else

but thats just my opinion rightly or wrongly that the person who wins the most trophys in there career has got to be the best manager about

koppit
19th May, 2010, 05:43 PM
[
god knows how he would of coped if he had to buy a player himself

mattybhoy
19th May, 2010, 08:34 PM
All this talk about these so called legends...Paisley, Busby, Fergie, Clough, Stein, Shankly...tut!

What about 'Sir' Walt!!!???? "He's dedicated his life to football!!!" Looney tunes....

boomer39
19th May, 2010, 10:22 PM
again @thered..
what about alf ramsey??? 3 trophies!!! sir??? so things dont add up....
was steve "the dutchman" mcclaren not an assistant? or brian kidd??
btw, i do not disagree that he has been the greatest manager in england and deserves to be "sir taggart" but so did "sir bob" without a doubt.....

lfc4life
19th May, 2010, 10:27 PM
good to see we are have constructive discussion without getting nasty! :)

thered
20th May, 2010, 12:16 PM
good to see we are have constructive discussion without getting nasty! :)

~~~~ you lol

thered
20th May, 2010, 12:27 PM
only kidding sam

@boomer were not gonna disagree cos im not saying he doesnt deserve one

but sir alf what can you say he's the ONLY man to win a world cup for england so that probably stands out in itself although he did take ipswich through the divisions to the first division title which is an achievement in itself

boomer39
20th May, 2010, 03:55 PM
only kidding sam

@boomer were not gonna disagree cos im not saying he doesnt deserve one

but sir alf what can you say he's the ONLY man to win a world cup for england so that probably stands out in itself although he did take ipswich through the divisions to the first division title which is an achievement in itself
those were the 3 trophies i mentioned,so really numbers dont matter...another legend.