PDA

View Full Version : Which Box to Buy for a beginner??

united4eva
16th November, 2008, 11:46 PM
Hi all, posted a week ago as Im a newbie to this game, tested my cable line where I used to have BB through, seems to be working. Now need to decide on a box...I would prefer one which gives 'complimentary' channels ontop of basic freeview....if possible...i know some ppl have modded orignal Cable boxes, I dont want that. I seem to hear a lot about Eurovox... If I buy one, plug it in...will I only get freeview? On top of this, can I ass a Hard Drive to a Eurovox for personal recording? I have a fairly technical background so dont mind a bit of messing about, but the less the better. Many THanks

Goodfella
17th November, 2008, 12:11 AM
I'm in a fairly similar situation and have plumped for the eurovox5000pvr, seems fairly easy to set up and has the option to record programs on a hard drive.

thewizardofodds
17th November, 2008, 12:13 AM
i've been looking and have decided on the 500cs. Been into cable for years and decided to get a linux box and decided to get the 500cs due to it have both cable and sat tuners.So I can start getting my head round sat.
Its only ?90 too

ukmale_121
17th November, 2008, 12:25 AM
Hi guys,
i have been using the starview clone box for over a year now, and ocassionaly need to input the keys in manually. I have decided to upgrade but not sure which one to go for. A friend of mine has suggested starview 4 or eurovox pvr... i am not sure which one to get.. does any one have any recommendation on where to get the box and which one i should go for.

thanks in advance

.: JaCkPoT :.
17th November, 2008, 12:26 AM
The eurovox and the starviews are nice and basic the dreambox gets slightly trickier. You will get the same channels so if you want to be a bit more experimental then get the dreambox500cs. Just the normal cable receiver price but with a sat tuner on top.

Dazzonamission
21st November, 2008, 05:32 PM
Can't go wrong with a eurovox does what it says on the tin... however i think the linux receivers are much more stable and you don't suffer channel drop out like the eurovox's do but the eurovox interface is awesome and very user friendly.
I think the CS option sounds like a very good idea... :2in1: and you get to play with both types of media in one tiny box.