PDA

View Full Version : RPC problem

hits
18th November, 2008, 01:43 PM
Hiya folks i have just purchased a kodak ESP3 AIO printer, everything was going fine then a message came up Problem installing hardware of this device,The RPC server is unavailable.

I have checked Both RPC's They are set to Automatic.
tried install again same message, help needed,

caveman_nige
21st November, 2008, 09:18 AM
RPC - Remote proceedure call..

What version of Windows are you using? Did you note the 'exception' error code that goes with this RPC fault..?

Firstly have you got all the windows updates applied as there have been some fixes to the RPC since release.. Have you scanned for spyware and malware as some of these nasties are known to take control over or damage the RPC.

Is RPC in the services list? Do you have another PC available to use as you may need to get a file or two from it and transfer it to your dicked machine..

If you have another PC/laptop then hopefuly you are also familiar with 'regedit'. For the next bit I will assume you are if not we let us know and we can reword this etc..

In the good machine export the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\RpcSs key and save it on either FDD or USB pen drive etc.. Move the file to the dicked PC and 'import' the key into the registry. Reboot your puter and try it again. This is not a guaranteed fix but it has helped on a few occasions over the years..

I should add the caveat that mucking about in your Windows Registry can be dangerous, if you're not careful about what you add, delete or modify. So make a backup of your Registry before you do so. The easiest way to backup your Registry is to create a 'Restore Point' using System Restore. However you could simply just restore your puter now to the last time it was working without the current error, if that was before the Kodak install then reload it again after the restore.

Kodak software is notoriously crap and could cause this issue in future even if you fix this I would urge you to only buy Canon printer products as the rest do not really compare. The old expression 'you get what you pay for' etc..

Let us know how you get on and we can got from there..