PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

faltskog5450
19th May, 2010, 04:10 PM
Hi, I bought a laptop from a well know auction site a couple of weeks ago and received it on Friday. there are a few problems with it, and the guy is being so shirty. I posted a message on the sites forum and someone looked at the item I had purchased and informed me that the Windows 7 is possibly illegal as it did originally come with XP and has been upgraded. The laptop came with nothing other than the case, charger and spare battery. No discs for windows 7 or anything. I have been on to Trading Standards who have said

'However, depending on what is
discovered once you examine the software using Microsoft instructions you
may be able to argue mis-description'

Surely if it has been illegally installed and is unlicensed on the laptop, the seller is actually breaking the law. I would have thought that no matter what he wrote in his listing this would be breaking the law. Not a mis-description.
I have had to cease any communication with the seller, he was starting twisting everything I said. Fortunatly, everything was done through the messaging service so the auction site can access the messages.

He tried cancelling the agreement, but I declined as I was informed I would probably never see my money if I did that. I have opened a dispute, but he started emailing in a really nasty attitude, so I ceased all contact after contacting the auction website and they said I was allowed to do that.

Any help would be wonderful

ManofScience
19th May, 2010, 04:33 PM
what does he say in the listing about the operating System?

on the bottom of the laptop there SHOULD be a OEM Microsoft sticker with a key on it - this is what you will be licenced for unless he has supplied you with any other valid key/media for windows 7.

if he's said FULL WORKING COPY of windows 7 or FULL LICENCED copy of windows 7 then he's broken ebays rules. if it says 'trial version' of windows 7 then thats different.

what EXACLTLY does he say about the operating system on the laptop?

in the mean time, ignore any messages except threatening one - inform him that these and any other emails will be passed onto the police for prosecution.

faltskog5450
19th May, 2010, 06:46 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply.
the listing states (Copy and Paste)

'It Was Originally On Windows XP But Has Been Upgraded To Windows Seven Ultimate'

The info on the laptop is Windows XP

Hope this is what you are after. He has given me nothing for the Windows 7 which is installed on it at all. No key, disc or anything.

faltskog5450
19th May, 2010, 07:48 PM
Just another thought. What is a Windows free trial? I just noticed something on Google about it. Could this be one on my laptop? How would I find out?

ManofScience
20th May, 2010, 09:53 AM
you can install Windows 7 then get 3 days to activate it.

to me, the wording to a buyer suggests he has upgraded it properly to Windows 7 - while he hasn't specifically said "legit/legal windows 7 included" it would be expected from that description on ebay - you definitely have a case for "not as described". He has lied and hasn't told the FULL Story. it should have said "originally with Windows XP (key on bottom of laptop) but i've upgraded it to windows 7 but i don't have the disks or the licences to give to you"

faltskog5450
20th May, 2010, 10:46 AM
You has been totally ambiguous about everything. It's as though he has left it open and then will just say 'oh I forgot' which he did about they keyboard. It is an ill fitting American one. Running on a UK system. It is raised up at the left hand side. He expected me to change it over to a UK keyboard which he would supply. And the normal wear and tear issue. That is left to interpretation.
But on a positive note, I did get an email through last night saying seller has agreed to refund the full amount including the P&P. He was refusing to pay the P&P and also any Ebay charges. Just to get my money back after he gets it back. That is a major concern.

termiantor
20th May, 2010, 10:57 AM
if u got the laptop cheap just go buy windows 7 simple dont know why go to all the hassle of trading standards:celticparty:

dinocol
27th May, 2010, 02:38 PM
windows 7 is good and its worth buying..

angeljordan
31st May, 2010, 09:38 AM
I agree to

compass
31st May, 2010, 10:02 AM
Windows 7 stable and good....

seekay
1st June, 2010, 02:04 AM
Yeah I agree too. Get yourself a copy. Microsoft's Windows 7 good system and have kicked out some of the garbage they stuck in on Vista which nearly drove you apopletic. I've been using the Beta version Windows 7 since mid 2009 and cannot fault it.

Sirus
4th June, 2010, 10:49 PM
Go to system info and look at the serial key.. does it have the letters OEM in the key?

If so then he may have just stuck it on as a bonus and thought you'd appreciate it more as a complete package.. considering win 7 is the latest

I'm on an OEM version of Win 7 ulitmate and have no probs