PDA

View Full Version : The Box PVR Ready Twin Tuner

c_slater_1
19th November, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has a The Box PVR Twin Tuner and if they think it is any good.

Does the dual turner work well and actually record when you are watching another channel.

Also does anyone know of any other alternitives that also have a dual turner.

Thanks

satsmo
19th November, 2008, 10:10 PM
Quite a buggy box and has been discontinued since. Another dual tuner would be a Dm7025 but at a few quid more and is an open sourced linux box.

nsw9154
20th November, 2008, 05:23 AM
PVR is a good box if you want to record the chanel you are watching but the twin tuners don't work - if you set a chanel to record then watch another chanel it switches to the chanel you are recording and if you try to change back to the chanel you where watching it seems to lock up it's a shame because it had the potential to be a great unit thats why i bought it

xant14
13th December, 2008, 10:07 AM
PVR is a good box if you want to record the chanel you are watching but the twin tuners don't work - if you set a chanel to record then watch another chanel it switches to the chanel you are recording and if you try to change back to the chanel you where watching it seems to lock up it's a shame because it had the potential to be a great unit thats why i bought it

I agree, as a PVR it is poo.

dell_xps
13th December, 2008, 11:12 AM
I agree, as a PVR it is poo.

Well it's not POO IMHO, you get what you pay for, as a twin tuner it's not bad, seen a couple go on fleabay for sweetie money with hard drive, if you can get one for less than the price of a new Starview go for it m8.
If you want something reliable try a Dreambox DM600 PVR, it only has one tuner, cost about ?230+?30 for you cable tuner.
You decide.
HTH

tony_i
13th December, 2008, 10:01 PM
Look forward to a USB twin tuner.
Then we'll be in business...

Smokey786
15th December, 2008, 06:03 PM
I've just got rid of my SV PVR, and I'm beginning to regret selling it (ESPECIALLY WHEN THE UPDATE HAS JUST COME OUT :-( )
But yeah , the box is quite buggy, But it works pretty well I think, it does have some issues which will never get resolved as its been discontinued! Only thing now is which is the best PVR to go for which is reasonably priced as well ! I've got the SV4 USB, and I dont really rate it too well ! I thought the SV PVR was better!
If you can get one cheap I'd say go for it! If anyone knows of anythin apart from the Dreambox gimme a shout! I'm itching to get something recordable with a twin tuner!

Lanxman
16th December, 2008, 10:14 PM
Hey Smokey, A bit off topic i know but i was just wondering what it was you didn't like about sv4? I have recently got one of these boxes and ok, There maybe a few minor issues (nothing to get into a flip about) I find it to be a good box on the basis of comparing that to my Euro max V. It has a much better epg and nicer looking interface and the scan time is like 5mins if that! And im pretty sure the minor issues will be adressed in later fw releases.

xant14
16th December, 2008, 10:37 PM
Well it's not POO IMHO, you get what you pay for, as a twin tuner it's not bad, seen a couple go on fleabay for sweetie money with hard drive, if you can get one for less than the price of a new Starview go for it m8.
If you want something reliable try a Dreambox DM600 PVR, it only has one tuner, cost about ?230+?30 for you cable tuner.
You decide.
HTH

As a cablebox I am quite happy with it. It has a lot of good qualities, namely, good picture, good sound, fast response to channel changes, reasonable EPG, if you call less than 2 days reasonable, but still in my humble opinion, as a PVR, I still think it is poo. It might have 2 tuners, but if you cant use it reliably as a recorder, what is the use of the other. At best the pvr side is hit and miss. I have some recordings that havent worked full stop, I have some that have, but freeze my machine half way thru, and the occasional one that has worked. Hence now, after one year of ownership, I NEVER use the recorder, or the 2nd tuner.
I am probably repeating myself here, but I have a Topfield Freeview PVR which is EXCELLENT. I was expecting similar qualities from this box. Sadly it does a VERY POOR job.
After 1 year of owning, it failed with key rolling the other week. A few hours of scouring this site had me sorted again.. Manual input only at the mo. I will be doing a few more hours studying to get the latest stuff on. I am still very happy with this box, but not as a pvr.

xant14
16th December, 2008, 10:45 PM
oh, almost forgot, seeing as I never use the recorder. When you do use hard drive, ie recorder, then you cannot use EPG, or anything associated with hard drive. Strange, but my Toppy lets me do anything while it is recording, including playback of previous recordings, or to watch the recording I am doing from the start.