PDA

View Full Version : Where do I stand?

sevenleaf
19th November, 2008, 02:26 PM
I have 2mb VM broadband and want to get the FTA TV channels (not bothered about getting 'extras').

I called VM who said I woud need another line installing (smells like BS to me, from what I've read on here at least).

1. What are the legalities of me just plugging a box in to my existing bb line and watching the FTA channels without contacting VM?

2. Which boxes should I be looking at? I'm after a really cheap bog standard one, or one with a HDD recorder if they're not too expensive.

As I mentioned, I'm not really interested in any non FTA channels.

Curious123
19th November, 2008, 02:43 PM
Legally they are correct you would need to pay for another box. It is against their T&C and illegal for you to connect your own box of any kind to their network. As long as you undertand this and are prepared for the consequences it is fine. You could probably get a Eurovox box which is almost plug and play.

bobey99
19th November, 2008, 02:45 PM
hi m8..

as far as i know, if you not subbing from VM on a tv package...then ur not legally allowed to use their signal for freeview (don't quote me on that)

you don't need a new line, just use a splitter on ur broadband line...this carries the tv chans too..

connect it to a VM box...which can be bought online....or go for a risk & get one of the well known no card boxes!!

sevenleaf
19th November, 2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all replies.

Can you clarify here? VM said I would need to pay ?30 for an engineer to come and install another line with no subscription for just the FTA channels, but I don't want the mess in my living room or have another box on the front of my house.

Can I not buy a set top box from them and plug it in? SUrely they can't charge me for FTA chanells?

Legally they are correct you would need to pay for another box. It is against their T&C and illegal for you to connect your own box of any kind to their network. As long as you undertand this and are prepared for the consequences it is fine. You could probably get a Eurovox box which is almost plug and play.

Cable Baron
19th November, 2008, 07:25 PM
Most likely the engineer will proabably just split your bb signal and use a f-connector to rf cable to plug into your freeview box. Just ask him what he is going to do before he starts any work

reddave
19th November, 2008, 09:30 PM
sounds like a easy ?30 for VM, as cable baron said split your BB signal get yourself a eurovox ex1000sl

on_the_jazz
20th November, 2008, 03:21 AM
You could threaten to cancel and see if they fit it for free. Then cancel after a month or so. Worth a try imo.
If you just split the cable and plug it straight into the coax on your tv you should still get 1-5 after scanning, and this would save you buying a box.