PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse ECM Replaced.. Need to make key

joe40
23rd May, 2010, 09:09 AM
Hello,

I am working on a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse where the ECM has been replaced. Now the original key is no good, so naturally one needs to be programmed. Since the lock supplies are closed for the weekend I tried to reprogram the original key with my MVP. I went through all the prompts, and it gave me 2 choices. "keys programmed" and "program key". I chose "program key". The MVP did it's work and indicated the key was programmed. Tried to start it, but no luck. Tried to program it again, and I get an error message. I selected "keys programmed" and it indicated 1 key was programmed.

In my MVP book it says when you get an error it can be from "wrong key" and other reasons I forget (it's late on Sat. and don't want to wake neighbors by clicking the alarm on my van to reread troubleshoot section).

I know you can reprogram keys. In my JMA Transponder key reference guide, it says from years 2000-2005 eclipse can be reprogrammed. I don't know if that means only JMA or Jet, ILCO and others, also.

The MVP book says I need to leave the key in the "on position" for 1 hour to clear error message, and make sure battery charger is hooked up, blah, blah.

In my opinion, I think the MVP assumes it programmed the original key, without knowing it's the original key.

Has anyone out there run into a problem like this before? Any suggestions would be helpful. Can't charge the guy if I cannot complete job.

Thank you.

jnand
23rd May, 2010, 02:26 PM
Sounds like you are in a similar situation as I was with my son's mr2 spyder. Read this thread, might help you.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f114/automatic-registration-mode-93560/