PDA

View Full Version : What do VM Know?

vroom_buddy
21st November, 2008, 05:30 PM
I know that VM can interrogate my Pace STB and update the software etc. However, does anyone have any idea what sort of information they can get out of the box and whether they keep a log of it?
For example, do they know what channel I'm watching and do they keep a log of my channel viewing habits?
Is there anything else that they might keep a track of?

Devilfish
21st November, 2008, 05:45 PM
If its a subbed why worry, you only get what you pay for anyway.

Unless it's a modified box then we can't discuss that here.

Dazzonamission
21st November, 2008, 05:46 PM
Yep they can see what you are viewing,they can also see how many times you have unplugged the box and inserted the card...and if you have accessed the engineers menu, however i am not so sure if they log this information like sky do for market research purposes.
Of course they can only do this if a valid return path is available.. but the box itself does log the information.

vroom_buddy
21st November, 2008, 06:04 PM
Yes, it's a genuine TW Pace box and has never been modified.

I was just wondering what they can "see" because 99.9% of the time it's stuck on one channel as we use a Dreambox for most of our TV watching.

Garry
21st November, 2008, 07:29 PM
So you have a favourite channel, Thats okay isnt it if VM ask.

gaz

Dazzonamission
21st November, 2008, 07:39 PM
I really wouldn't worry Virgin Media are definately upping the anty now but it's the mainstream UK dealers they are after in order to get the message across, i think all these boxes may be hard to come by soon but lets see what happens.

vroom_buddy
21st November, 2008, 11:33 PM
I think that I'll use the Pace a bit more though just to be sure. If VM ever did start logging this data (for market research), one channel only for weeks on end would probably raise some sort of alarm in their research.