PDA

View Full Version : plasma tv

benjdebo
28th May, 2010, 05:37 PM
hi can anyone tell me whats best to buy either a plasma tv or a lcd tv, thanks.:giveup:

binxy
28th May, 2010, 06:11 PM
plasma.i would go for..i got 50inch lg.1080p.looks mint.with my popcornbox and ps3 on it.

jaydee
28th May, 2010, 07:27 PM
I bought a Panny 42inch just under a year ago, best TV ever. Picture brilliant. Payed ?550.

boomer39
28th May, 2010, 10:14 PM
hi can anyone tell me whats best to buy either a plasma tv or a lcd tv, thanks.:giveup:
all depends if you want to watch sh1t better!!!

flyingpig
28th May, 2010, 11:00 PM
Plasma... the better the Hz the better ...

1080p if you watch Blu-rays... 1080i if money is tight and you dont have a blu ray player.....

All hdtv is transmitted 768 max ( i think). My TV upscales SD to 1080 by the 1080i function.

It is a LG 42" Plasma and its very good...with 1080i

chucklor
29th May, 2010, 02:54 AM
I think that plasma's have a better veiwing angle than LCD's I did a lot of research before buying one and as mine is wall mounted and I don't need a big veiwing angle, I went with a sony bravia full HD but also bought a surround sound with a optical link for sound quality, had it about 18months now and am still well happy...chuck

kermitthefrog
29th May, 2010, 02:58 AM
i would always go for a lcd...plasmas leave prints on them when your on like uk gold you can still see the logo when you change to itv...plus lcd last longer !

binxy
29th May, 2010, 08:31 AM
the prints go on mine like m8 within seconds.i got the new lg razor.50 inch.600hrtz.mint piece of kit.had my old lg covered.dropped it off the wall..cough cough.lolol..got a brand new 1.

flattopguy
29th May, 2010, 09:43 AM
plasma had lcd poor quality

jfish
29th May, 2010, 10:14 AM
simple rule, 42 or above Plasma

40 or below LCD

I have a 42" LG for Plasma (awesome on PS3)

and a LG 37" LCD

Fspiders
29th May, 2010, 11:23 AM
Plasma... got a 42" panny, it's stunning

Getting the tx-p42v20b next week can't wait!

PaulM
29th May, 2010, 05:50 PM
Personally I would go for LCD if you can find one with 100hz or 200hz motion technology.

Plasma-

Pros-
Handle motion well
Cheaper for large screens

Cons-
Generally higher power consumption.
Heavier

LCD-

Pros-
Sharper Picture
Lower power consumption
More 3 dimensional picture
Last longer

Cons-
Poor motion handling (unless 100hz or higher)
More Expensive

I personally think LCD or LED is the way forward, however if you watch sport do not even consider a 50hz LCD screen as it will ruin your viewing.

LCD's are also lighter so much better if you like the idea of a wall mounted TV or a TV on a cantilever TV stand (http://www.big-av.co.uk/acatalog/tv-stands-cantilever.html), with a Plasma you will be forced to go with a more traditional TV cabinet (http://www.big-av.co.uk/).

jfish
29th May, 2010, 07:18 PM
Personally I would go for LCD if you can find one with 100hz or 200hz motion technology.

Plasma-

Pros-
Handle motion well
Cheaper for large screens

Cons-
Generally higher power consumption.
Heavier

LCD-

Pros-
Sharper Picture
Lower power consumption
More 3 dimensional picture
Last longer

Cons-
Poor motion handling (unless 100hz or higher)
More Expensive

I personally think LCD or LED is the way forward, however if you watch sport do not even consider a 50hz LCD screen as it will ruin your viewing.

LCD's are also lighter so much better if you like the idea of a wall mounted TV or a TV on a cantilever TV stand (http://www.big-av.co.uk/acatalog/tv-stands-cantilever.html), with a Plasma you will be forced to go with a more traditional TV cabinet (http://www.big-av.co.uk/).

your last comment is utter bullshit, I have a 42" Plasma wall mounted for the past 12 months using a cheap and cheerful 20 pound wall bracket and it is solid.

khalid124
29th May, 2010, 07:42 PM
i think you should buy Samsung LED they are best Tv's for home use

gmb45
29th May, 2010, 07:45 PM
i think you should buy Samsung LED they are best Tv's for home use
:cobblers: cant beat a sammy or a sony

scotty_dotty
30th May, 2010, 12:30 AM
It's personal choice but a good pana plasma will rubbish most LCD and led tvs. Faster response-0.001ms as apposed to 5ms. Richer deeper blacks and if it's a g20 or higher will also have the whites. Smoother - up to 600hz sfd. As for power consumption a plasmas will be high for whites and very low for blacks and darker colours, but who gives a toss when u get the performance. Lcds - to wishy washy and hard to get a true natural colour balance, grey blue blacks with ridiculous bright whites or the flip side is grey whites and dark blacks - to much compromise. LEDs - mostly edge lit rubbish just now, not proper rgb or oled. Blue edges and loss of whites in the centre, to expensive for what u get and only up to 200hz. As for samsung tvs don't even go there - look great but have u even properly looked at the frames and casing? Cheap tat, highest break down rates along with lg. You can see the press marks on the LEDs frame (small indentations) and under a natural light that sexy high gloss finish looks like it was dragged through a hedge.

Get a g20 pana if uv got ?1k - thx certified, fsat HD, fview HD, 600hz, play and record via USB, tinternet ready, relatively slim for a plasma, a whole load of settings tweeks I won't even start on.

If you want to go LCD then defo a Sony - a w5500 or 5810
if it's led then have a look at the new panasonics - lovely sets, superb colouring, no cheap plasticy finish, it has scarts unlike the samshonks, kicked out bottom end for better speaker housing - so it doesn't sound like a marble in a biscuit tin!

If you want a sami try and get a b652 LCD as ? for ? it's got all the same features as a 7k samsung series led but connectivity us better and colour tones are much better. Oh and around a third of the price!.

Sony are using sharp panels now and lessened their build to be more competitive so maybe not a wise choice at the mo if it's in the 403 or 503 range.

If your in a budgie then why not go for the u20 pana at ?549 in comet. 400hz and full HD. Downsides are there is no VGA but otherwise can't go wrong.

Work with them all everyday at work unfortunately so tend to get carried away lol.

Ps not on commision!

scotty_dotty
30th May, 2010, 12:37 AM
And dint get a 3d tv just yet, choice to few and the range for next year will be much bigger and better. The chip manufacturer is struggling to meet supplier demand (infrared chip) so everyones struggling to get the sets out. And again I'd go plasma as even on 200hz the images at the back on LEDs are separating as they ain't quick enough to cope. Visually impressive but I felt sick and got a headache after 10 mins.

benjdebo
1st June, 2010, 04:23 PM
thanks everyone for your suggestions, i have gone for a 42 plasma lg, excellent.:proud:

desibaba
1st June, 2010, 06:23 PM
thanx for the info

jfish
1st June, 2010, 09:36 PM
thanks everyone for your suggestions, i have gone for a 42 plasma lg, excellent.:proud:

which one the 42PQ6000 ?

McMav
2nd June, 2010, 08:44 AM
Just a note on power consumption between a plasma and an lcd of similar size it works out at about 7 quid a year more for the plasma not exactly ground shattering eh. that said I still have an LCD and its got a belting picture :D

scotty_dotty
3rd June, 2010, 09:41 AM
A TV can only work with what you give it in terms of a source. The amount of my customers who are expecting to jump up 10 - 18" in screen size and still get the same sharpness and quality as their smaller screen is frightening.

Source - cables - screen size + viewing distance.
Basic principles before picking your tv.
A wee rule for cables - and you beleive what you want to hear - 10% of your tv value (roughly) toward cableing.
They may be digital and 1s and 0s - but just like usb or any other digital cable its more to do with bandwidth and what the cable can cope with imo. If its just 1s and 0s why is usb1 any different to usb2? - Its just a cable surely.

Also be aware that new hdmis are comming ethernet capable and 3d capable, also if you are using a laptop to your tv there is self powered hdmis aswell (save your battery) - future proof and save ? in the long run is my advice.

McMav
3rd June, 2010, 09:52 AM
Sorry but bollox on the cable stuff :)

Especially for HDMI and USB

I have 2 cheapo Aldi special for HDMI and tried then vrs my m8s 30 quid cables on my setup and there was 0 difference in sound or picture. (Yes you might been different cable for 3d not sure though)
as for usb its not the cable that makes it usb 1 or 2 its the device.

PaulM
7th June, 2010, 02:30 AM
your last comment is utter bullshit, I have a 42" Plasma wall mounted for the past 12 months using a cheap and cheerful 20 pound wall bracket and it is solid.

My comment is not bullshit, you are basing your comment on 1 successful wall mount of one Plasma TV.

Try attaching a 42" Plasma TV to a weak stud wall, it doesn't matter whether the bracket cost ?20 or ?1000 it doesn't make the wall strong enough.

I really like the way your TV is mounted, but obviously it was alot of effort to do it properly (as you have) some people might be better off with a TV stand (http://www.big-av.co.uk/blog/buying-the-right-cantilever-tv-stand-123.html) (read this article) as a hassle free solution.

wodin69
7th June, 2010, 05:36 PM
I have a 2010 Samsung 3d Plasma and can confirm the new HDMI version.
The new version is 1.4 and does make a difference in the picture quality when viewing 1080p or 3d blu-ray.
The picture degrades and looks slightly grainy when using older version cables or cheap alternatives.
Bought a ?99 HDMI Monster cable and the picture does not grain any more in 3d.
The 1080p graining was barely noticeable but now its gone completely.
Interesting to note though, when watching 3d with the glasses using the older and cheaper hdmi, the graining effect disappears completely.
Also, since updating the firmware on the TV the picture is better still on the 1080i hd vm+ box.