PDA

View Full Version : eurovox raids

firestorm
21st November, 2008, 07:29 PM
this is something i have found on another forum dont know if its true just thought it may be of intrest to some one

Hi people just want to share some information i received today from a reliable source in the Uk there has been a major raid in the uk by V88g8n Media and the Police they has been some people arrested during these raids and the main dealers in the Eurovox (rayynonics) empire have also been arrested what this is going to mean there will be no more Eurovox to be had as they have closed the main supplier down i dont know why this has not been made public as yet but i think people have the right to know and cover their backs should this go further during their searches of their Pc and they will be able to trace suppliers who will in turn have there pc taken away and then the suppliers contacts and buyers will also be known

I dont know what this is going to mean for further releases of firmware or updates for this box maybe there will be some news on this shortly or they could just be keeping this quiet until they can nab a few more people as they will not be aware of the raid and catch them by surprise i hope this information is of some help maybe they can pass this on to other forums as well so they are also made aware of the raid

Dazzonamission
21st November, 2008, 07:33 PM
Does appear creditable as the site is now offline

thered
21st November, 2008, 07:39 PM
interesting but what can they do?

most people sell the eurovox as a freeview boxes and as far as i know it is not illegal to sell them they are only illegal when you put firmware on them are they not

or have virgin managed to ban them from the country as i dont think ebay are allowed to sell anymore so are they now illegal?

Dazzonamission
21st November, 2008, 07:47 PM
interesting but what can they do?

most people sell the eurovox as a freeview boxes and as far as i know it is not illegal to sell them they are only illegal when you put firmware on them are they not

or have virgin managed to ban them from the country as i dont think ebay are allowed to sell anymore so are they now illegal?

Well not quiet true,it's only illegal when you connect to the VM network,
I think there is a big myth about what you can do legally but i know for a fact that any set top box that is not subbed to the registered account holder at the address is deemed illegal.

thered
21st November, 2008, 08:00 PM
it seems to be getting a bit of a grey area i pay min subs for tv have xl bb home phone and 2 mobile sims with virgin

would it be illegal to watch my L cable package through a eurovox even though i paid subs?

and if its only illegal when they are in your cable feed why are people getting raided and why are they banned from ebay

if all thats happening is true it must now be illegal to own a set top box at all unless its from your provider

Dazzonamission
21st November, 2008, 08:22 PM
it seems to be getting a bit of a grey area i pay min subs for tv have xl bb home phone and 2 mobile sims with virgin

would it be illegal to watch my L cable package through a eurovox even though i paid subs?

and if its only illegal when they are in your cable feed why are people getting raided and why are they banned from ebay

if all thats happening is true it must now be illegal to own a set top box at all unless its from your provider

Unfortunately so,I see your point but the main concern for VM is not you stealing a few additional channels but more of what equipment you are attaching to their network.
I may have mentioned this before but because VM cannot manage a accurate subscriber database of the people in your street if they are not a registered customer or the equipment doesn't talk back.. then this could have a knock on affect with lower signals and higher snr for all the registered paying customers being affected.
Networks then have to come out and give the amps a tweak in order to stabilize the network.

young
21st November, 2008, 08:28 PM
personaly i think eurovox did a wrong turn by bringing out the hd box ...because the other boxes could just simply be used for other things than watching cable tv on them so they could play dumb and just say where not selling them for that but now they brought the hd 1 its basicaly sayin heres a box hook it up to your cable provider and get free chans ..so realy they shot there self in foot my opinion anyway

max_gee
21st November, 2008, 10:12 PM
The HD box released by eurovox is a SAtellite & Terrestrial box, nothing at all to do with cable!

young
21st November, 2008, 10:54 PM
ok but they was doing one of each the cable one due out late december so did they not shut them down before it went on sale thanks and catch them with a load of boxes

Dazzonamission
22nd November, 2008, 12:21 AM
Wasn't Rayyonics (Eurovox) going to release a HD compatible cable box in the 3rd quarter ? for some reason this got delayed,Maybe only 1 HD channel available had something to do with it.
But i do believe that VM are starting to flex there muscles and crackdown on the main UK manufactuers and suppliers of these boxes.

portbhoy
22nd November, 2008, 02:14 AM
Also found elsewhere

Rayyonics have not been closed down. Whilst Police investigations are pending, they have decided to shutdown the website, i.e. Not take anymore new orders.

Arrests were made & all were released the same day. Rayyonics is a legitimate business selling dead boxes, i.e. without any modified firmware preloaded. The fact remains that there will be a major shortage of Eurovox's approaching Christmas.

Im not defending Rayyonics & have no direct concern with them, but i dont really think the Police or V88g8n Media will have enough of a case to take it to court. They are a registered with Companies House. They have an import/export license. They are VAT registered & use a business bank account. They sell all there stock blank also, they are not breaking any laws.

I am sure the Police were disappointed with the Raid. They were probably hoping to find 20 - 30 koreans programming boxes all day for ?6 per hour.

Until we hear an official statement from Rayyonics themselves, please do not take to spreading rumours.
Taking the Rayyonics website down has actually safe guarded everyone that has placed an order through it. If the website is not available, the customers order details are also not available. So there is no need to panic.

The software itself was not made by Rayyonics. So in regards to the software element of things, i am sure the Enthusiasts will keep this going. Much like the Enigma & Neutrino team have done for the Dreambox.

Devilfish
22nd November, 2008, 09:15 AM
Sounds like a bit of shaking up and nothing more.

If they had something concrete they wouldn't have let them go.

charlie786
22nd November, 2008, 10:31 AM
greetings all

totally agree with portboy. stop the roumours and wait for a official announcment, all you sweetie wifes.
while on the subject can I just state a couple of facts.
1) eurovox max, ex5000, 1000sl cannot be FTA recivers as they have cable tv tuners,
therefore are not able to recive FTA and will work only when connected to a live
cable tv signal/network. Cable don't do FTA.
2) Vi88g88n T&C state only approved apparatice may be connected to their network.

thered
22nd November, 2008, 11:31 AM
Also found elsewhere

Rayyonics have not been closed down. Whilst Police investigations are pending, they have decided to shutdown the website, i.e. Not take anymore new orders.

Arrests were made & all were released the same day. Rayyonics is a legitimate business selling dead boxes, i.e. without any modified firmware preloaded. The fact remains that there will be a major shortage of Eurovox's approaching Christmas.

Im not defending Rayyonics & have no direct concern with them, but i dont really think the Police or V88g8n Media will have enough of a case to take it to court. They are a registered with Companies House. They have an import/export license. They are VAT registered & use a business bank account. They sell all there stock blank also, they are not breaking any laws.

I am sure the Police were disappointed with the Raid. They were probably hoping to find 20 - 30 koreans programming boxes all day for ?6 per hour.

Until we hear an official statement from Rayyonics themselves, please do not take to spreading rumours.
Taking the Rayyonics website down has actually safe guarded everyone that has placed an order through it. If the website is not available, the customers order details are also not available. So there is no need to panic.

The software itself was not made by Rayyonics. So in regards to the software element of things, i am sure the Enthusiasts will keep this going. Much like the Enigma & Neutrino team have done for the Dreambox.

well that sort of backs up my thoughts i dont see how you can be charged for having freeview boxes as you say they are blank so they are doing no wrong

but it begs the question why have they been raided in the first place for police to raid somewhere and arrest people they need evidence of wrongdoing you cant just go and arrest people for nothing for making freeview boxes where is the logic where is the crime

to go inside someones premises and arrest people you need a warrant which basically is gotten when some strong evidence of wrongdoing is already in place(trust me i have had a couple)so where is the crime to warrant this raid

police have better things to do than raid things for fun and for them to do this there must be some kind of law in place surely that bans these boxes otherwise why would they bother in the first place?

and why are they now banned from ebay its interesting and virgin must have some sort of a case to stop these sales but whether or not it will hold up in a court of law who knows?

maybe thats what it needs someone to stand up and say we are doing no wrong and fight it in a court a test case if you like,as i cant see them losing and if they won it would open the market for the business again

its a bit like going back to blank tapes and videos to cd's and dvd's there is no law against buying blank media its only broken when you copy something which is technically the same principal as these set top boxes

so i dont understand why this is happening unless there has been a new law invoked recently to combat these boxes

portbhoy
22nd November, 2008, 11:42 AM
My guess is they where acting on information recieved and where pretty confident of finding something, but the release means nothing it's standard practise to be allowed free if you pose no threat to public safety whilst police carry out an initial investigation, which probably will include computer searches. Bear in mind if they find one single piece of altered equipment or a modified file on a computer then it will go onto a full blown investigation, so fingers crossed they've been wise enough to cover their tracks ;)

Dazzonamission
22nd November, 2008, 04:49 PM
greetings all

totally agree with portboy. stop the roumours and wait for a official announcment, all you sweetie wifes.
while on the subject can I just state a couple of facts.
1) eurovox max, ex5000, 1000sl cannot be FTA recivers as they have cable tv tuners,
therefore are not able to recive FTA and will work only when connected to a live
cable tv signal/network. Cable don't do FTA.
2) Vi88g88n T&C state only approved apparatice may be connected to their network.

Absolutely 100% spot on, all dodgy boxes are legal until you connect them onto the VM network.
And of course you need to be the registered owner of the cc equipment with the box and card paired to the registered address/account number.

So anyone who buys a genuine cable box off fleabay is also violating the T&C and are also breaking the law.

Why would anyone buy a box whether genuine or a 3rd party FTA receiver if they did not anticipate using it on the VM network ? This is where VM win the case hands down.

Lets see how this progresses.

eastcoast
22nd November, 2008, 07:21 PM
just been on there site still open for business

wong
25th November, 2008, 12:14 PM
if thats the case by the cc's then it looks like the other none card box's will be attacked very shortly ??? but i doubt that as there is no law being broken (only end usser)

DW190
25th November, 2008, 10:32 PM
As far as not connecting to the cable network with ones own equipment, VM or their predessors kicked themselves in the foot a long time ago.

A block of warden controlled flats near to me are not allowed aerials or dishes. The only means of tv is the preinstalled cable feed into all the flats, this can be plugged directly into tvs and receive the analogue signal

After the switch off of the terestrial signal VM are going to have to provide free FTA boxes to these flats or allow connection of none CC FTA boxes.

They stitched up the landlords with a sole provider agreement so the tennants have a right to connect if they dont provide a FTA receiver.