PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get Negear Homeplugs to work?

29th May, 2010, 09:25 PM
I have got a Cable Belkin G router and I've got a pair of netgear (85mbps) poweline homeplugs which works great in my bedroom.

I purchased 1 more netgear homeplus, however this one is a 200mbps, So I connected another ethernet wire from my main homeplug to the router and connected the new homeplug to my kitchen to try and get it to connect to my starview box, however this caused a conflict and my internet did not work at all anywhere in the house. The only way the internet worked was if I switched off the Homeplug going to my kitchen.

When I rang Netgear they gave me some bull that the new 200mbps one is not compatible with my main 85mbps one. So to test this theory is correct, I took the 85mbps one that works in my bedroom and connected in the kitchen and the same problem occured. The starview would not connect to the internet and it caused the rest of the house to have no internet. Something is causing a conflict? all help appreciated. Both homeplugs have been connected directly to wall sockets and not extension leads

wilf
29th May, 2010, 09:50 PM
they maybe on a different ringmain. ie: if have you had an extension built it may not work then. can you try the theory in another socket somewhere?

29th May, 2010, 10:08 PM
they maybe on a different ringmain. ie: if have you had an extension built it may not work then. can you try the theory in another socket somewhere?

That may be the answer, becuase the kitchen was extended, How can I therefore get internet to work in my kitchen so I can connect my starview?

cactikid
29th May, 2010, 10:15 PM
not too sure about conflict but in my house first floor is wired another way and it wont work downstairs,i was lucky i bought a number of same models and added a cable lan to link the 2 levels of house to work.

cut a hole in ceiling/floor

wilf
30th May, 2010, 02:28 AM
That may be the answer, becuase the kitchen was extended, How can I therefore get internet to work in my kitchen so I can connect my starview?

im no electrician but i would try to use an extension lead from the nearest plug socket to the box that you think is on the old ringmain, to find out for sure before doing anything else

30th May, 2010, 10:19 AM
I think i'm better of upgrading my 'G' router to a 'N' router, buying a official wireless dongle starview & kryptview make and attaching that to the box and trying to connect wirelessly to my router at the front of the house.

I did not want to buy the wireless device as I've heard some bad reviews but I'll give it a go and see how I get along, Drilling a hole and running electric cables is not a option

id4sure
31st May, 2010, 06:09 PM
Very likely different ringmain. This factor usually being forgot when you plan your homeplug network.