PDA

View Full Version : GMAPPROM Install

stevenmclellan
4th June, 2010, 11:58 AM
Hi, I'm new to this so please bear with me. I'm trying to update maps on a Garmin 250W Sat Nav and have downloaded a file GMAPPROM.IMG for the latest maps. I can see a similar file name on the Sat Nav. To update is this a case of copying the new file to te Sat Nav hence over writing the old file or are there other steps I need to take ? If so how do I do this arduous task ?

Thanks

Stevieboy

Palmer291
4th June, 2010, 06:34 PM
Hi, I'm new to this so please bear with me. I'm trying to update maps on a Garmin 250W Sat Nav and have downloaded a file GMAPPROM.IMG for the latest maps. I can see a similar file name on the Sat Nav. To update is this a case of copying the new file to te Sat Nav hence over writing the old file or are there other steps I need to take ? If so how do I do this arduous task ?

Thanks

Stevieboy

Hi Stevieboy, funny that you've just posted this as I've recently just finished updating my friends maps on his Nuvi 200.

Basically, if the map is unlocked already, and you want to save it onto your Sat navs internal memory, then rename the file to GMAPPROM.IMG (but in this case it's already renamed) and overwrite the exsisting map. Best thing to do is make a copy of the one already on the sat nav just in case it doesnt work.

If you want to put the maps onto an SD card, then make a folder at the root of the card called Garmin, and then place the file in that folder. You have to rename it GMAPSUPP.IMG however if you want to put it onto an SD card.

Hope that helps :)