PDA

View Full Version : Fiat Punto 1.2 8v Wont start. Key code (electrical problem)

ti.andrei
7th June, 2010, 11:48 PM
Hello.

I have recently bought a 2002 Fiat Punto 1.2 8v as a non-runner .

The owner told me that he got the key light on..and the car would not start.
He told me that he changed the entire starting kit ( ECU+Fuse box and the imobilizer box atached to it + key). He claims that he got this starting kit from a car that started and runed ok...however..i cant be sure that he is honest about it. He did gave me the original fuse box and ecu.

I was planing on buy'ng another starting kit ..but started looking for other symptoms.

1) When i connect the battery ther is a sound comming from the back of the car..i belive that the fuel pump is running continuasly even thow the ignition is not on. ( i did found allot of gas in the oil).

2) When i try to start it up... the + wire connector from the battery heats up...but if i add a ground wire from - battery directly to the engine surface....the positive battery connector does not heat up.

The owner claimed that..before he changed the starting kit..blew the starter traing to get it running...so he changed it.
I belive that he might have messed up some wires or something.
i have read a recent similar post here....however..mine is experiencing more simptoms.

If anybody could help it would mean allot to me.
Please excuse the bad typing... English is not my native language.

Chers.

rsibiza
8th June, 2010, 03:48 AM
Hello.

I have recently bought a 2002 Fiat Punto 1.2 8v as a non-runner .

The owner told me that he got the key light on..and the car would not start.
He told me that he changed the entire starting kit ( ECU+Fuse box and the imobilizer box atached to it + key). He claims that he got this starting kit from a car that started and runed ok...however..i cant be sure that he is honest about it. He did gave me the original fuse box and ecu.

I was planing on buy'ng another starting kit ..but started looking for other symptoms.

1) When i connect the battery ther is a sound comming from the back of the car..i belive that the fuel pump is running continuasly even thow the ignition is not on. ( i did found allot of gas in the oil).

2) When i try to start it up... the + wire connector from the battery heats up...but if i add a ground wire from - battery directly to the engine surface....the positive battery connector does not heat up.

The owner claimed that..before he changed the starting kit..blew the starter traing to get it running...so he changed it.
I belive that he might have messed up some wires or something.
i have read a recent similar post here....however..mine is experiencing more simptoms.

If anybody could help it would mean allot to me.
Please excuse the bad typing... English is not my native language.

Chers.

A non starter fiat is nothing of unusual:heeeelllllooooo:

But if you tell wires heat up,and fuel pump runs with no ignition on,there will be more than just the immo problem.

Try to get somewhere a wiring diagram,and check that first,before replacing some ecu or other stuff:p

Meat-Head
8th June, 2010, 09:13 AM
a) welcome to dk, make sure you keep us informed
b) this may be no use, but hay ho http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f114/2001-fiat-punto-2001-internittent-code-light-64747/
c) do a search involve the word fiat and inlet manidold.
was two threads on herer one involving earth to ecu loose, one involveing ecu neg ob b+ lol

ti.andrei
8th June, 2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the help guy's . Il will keep you informed..maybe i will manage to figure things out.

dafdiagnos
8th June, 2010, 03:52 PM
as meaty said, check earth connection to ecu & make sure it is an earth. also main earth lead to engine. also these are common for poor plug connections to immo key reader. i'd also check his wiring to the starter, always pays to double check wiring yourself m8

mikesworkshop
8th June, 2010, 05:46 PM
hi,thanks for your mail.i also purchased my fiat as a non runner with key light on.after many hours of pulling hair turned out to be the earth wire connected to the ecu body which should bolt to the rear of the engine block had been bolted on to the live + terminal of the starter motor !.hope this helps.Good luck

ti.andrei
8th June, 2010, 10:36 PM
Hey guys. Been busy today..with coledge...
Tomorow il start cecking all the wires..hope i can figure it out.

Do you guys have any idea why the fuel pump would be running without the ignition on?
That should help me figure out the problem...
The fuel pump is probably comanded by the ECU ...so that would mean that the ecu is not doing something right..or its fried.

carsandkeys
6th May, 2015, 12:42 PM
hello

You got to fix the problem?

I have the same problem with a Fiat Doblo 1.9d

and I would be helpful

thanks

ninja123
6th May, 2015, 06:58 PM
doblo suffer with bad fuse box too (under bonnet) as well as all faults same as punto.

if fuel pump runs all the time, then the ecu is providing an earth path to the pump relay - not sure how, remove relay to check.

ninja