PDA

View Full Version : Freesat, is it worth it ?

nottmdude
13th June, 2010, 03:05 PM
Well I've been using eurovox and with that no longer usble and not too keen on paying sky or virgin I'm looking at other options.

1. Freeview, I need to get a new airel on the house as at the moment it only picks up a hand full of channels and not 1,2,3,4 or 5. Have an loft airel for my bedroom and that picks up most channels but 3,4 and 5 which is anoyting. Down to the signal and guessing it may be same if i have one put on the roof for my main TV ?

2. Freesat, now i have a old sky dish on the house but it will be nealy 10 years old but have read that i can use this for a freessat box ? Will i be able to get a HD box and run it off the dish with maybe getting a new LNB ?

Dolphin 6
14th June, 2010, 12:09 AM
2. Freesat, now i have a old sky dish on the house but it will be nealy 10 years old but have read that i can use this for a freessat box ? Will i be able to get a HD box and run it off the dish with maybe getting a new LNB ?

The old dish should do you and you may not even need to change the LNB, just plug in the HD Freesat box any away you go.

Just one or two things:
If you want multi room viewing you will need to change the LNB to a "Twin" or "Quad" one and run a feed to the other room.
If you get a Freesat box with twin tuners (view one station, record another) then you will need to change the LNB as above.
The dish might have moved slightly over the last couple of years and it might need to be re-aligned.

As for Freeview there are a number of box's out there that have Freeview & Freesat (HD) combined in the one unit, you just take a feed from the Sat dish & the Aerial into the back of the unit and you have all on the one box.

D

Fireblade69
19th June, 2010, 08:49 AM
Watch for the differences with Freesat and Free to air sat. They are two different things and some retailers have not got a clue about the differences.

samoloko
29th July, 2010, 10:58 AM
very well posted

Dolphin 6
29th July, 2010, 11:49 PM
Should be no problem as the others say.

I have an "Edision Argus mini 2 in 1" HD Satellite and DTT (DVB-S2 & DVB-T) receiver which takes a feed from my old Sky dish and also a feed from my digital terrestrial aerial. It supports MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264 & DVB so will work in the UK & Ireland. I also have a 2.5" hard drive plugged into the USB port which turns it into a PVR - just like the "Eurovox PVR".

This setup allows you to watch both terrestrial and Sat stations using the one remote control.

D

redcalibra
4th August, 2010, 03:27 PM
I agree, have same setup and gives in my opinion the best choice of free to air channels.:rock:

SatSearching
6th August, 2010, 01:05 AM
And note the difference between Satellite and Freeview Terestial.

Freeview gives you channels like "Dave" for free, that are not properly free on Satellite!

SS

jone1303
27th August, 2010, 03:47 PM
i've just connected my old sky dish to my panasonic g20 freesat and it works a treat thier are a couple of extra channels available, for a freebie i'm pretty pleased to be honest i think if it meant buying a freesat tuner i don't believe it's worth the extra expense, but everyone is different