PDA

View Full Version : Rs 323 Cable shortage

mirzaja
12th April, 2008, 05:46 PM
Been arount electrical outlets this afternoon to buy RS232 cable, everywhere sold out since the key change.

C64
12th April, 2008, 05:59 PM
lol, I might start buying stocks in a company that make them :)

Devilfish
13th April, 2008, 12:42 AM
You can get them on ebay for about ?3.

jimsnake
21st April, 2008, 03:13 PM
maplins. i got one there today mate. bit more expensive, but they had it...:)

Dreamer
21st April, 2008, 03:23 PM
My local Maplin store was all out of null model cables and waiting on new stock. I think
witchy got there before me and is selling them down the barras(Glasgow market) making a tidy profit. lol

georgio
21st April, 2008, 03:26 PM
i have some if you wish to buy 1.

teleboss
21st April, 2008, 07:12 PM
Been arount electrical outlets this afternoon to buy RS232 cable, everywhere sold out since the key change.

Thet are simple to make up, 2 db9s and 8 core cable, no big deal.

Dreamer
21st April, 2008, 07:37 PM
:beer:
Thet are simple to make up, 2 db9s and 8 core cable, no big deal.
Yes you're right or modify an RS232.
Diagram here. if anyone wants to know
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem

I can't be bothered I'm just going to buy one made up.

cheers

teleboss
21st April, 2008, 07:41 PM
Yes you're right or modify an RS232.
Diagram here. if anyone wants to know
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem

I can't be bothered I'm just going to buy one made up.

cheers

Hi these connections work for me :)

10 Minutes work

From back of connector solder side

1 2 3 4 5
o o o o o
o o o o
6 7 8 9

DB 9 A to DB 9 B

2 3
3 2
4 6
5 5
6 4
7 8
8 7

Dont worry about grounding the shells or PIN 9, The Above cable works with dreambox, and while there are other varitations of a Null modem cable as in pins looped and so on this config works for me without any problems.

Dreamer
21st April, 2008, 07:44 PM
cheers for that. Is it a female connector on each end or have I got it wrong? I'm still learning. I don't think the webpage I posted was very good at explaining please ignore it. Thanks

shaney
22nd April, 2008, 05:05 PM
Hi there once again please could you advise i accidently crashed couple of dreamboxes at the early stages when there was limited information by changing images via router now obviously i get blank screen and no access to ip address would i have to use a null cable or do i kiss them goodbye and does router and null cable give you different access or do there work both the same thanks

caveman_nige
22nd April, 2008, 05:18 PM
you do not use the null modem cable with a router m8, just use it to attach your box directly to your PC. Leave the box powered off, then start the Dreamup prog, do not tick the network box, click on connect, it should sense your box and list it in the window and advise you to power it on, now power on the box as advised.

When it has connected the dreamup window will add some lines of text and you will then selct 'flash' this will ask you for the image file you wanna put on the your box (in my case i just pointed it at the .nfi file for the Pli image i wanted.

It will take about 30mins to load it.. Let us know how you get on with that bit.. Its an easy task to do bud... should experience no issues

jimsnake
22nd April, 2008, 06:44 PM
dreamer mate, i got mine at st enoch square maplins, just down the road from the barras, u shoula checked there mate

bmn
22nd April, 2008, 07:02 PM
bought mine for 3? shipped ;)

Dandaman1969
22nd April, 2008, 07:13 PM
I bought 1 off Ebay it`s only 2 meters long but will do the job for ?1.98 Delivered.