PDA

View Full Version : Satellite TV ( Worth doing ?? )

ITS A SCAM !
27th November, 2008, 03:38 PM
For a long time i have been interested in fitting a dish on the side of our house, but never got around to it. However i have decided that my next project will be such an item. I used to love messing around with my first Amstrad SRX100. I eventually gave up on sky when they said i had to go digital and i needed a working phone line in my house, but i only had a mobile at the time, so i told them to stick it !! Anyway...i am looking for a set up that will re-introduce me back to Satellite tv. I really fancy a motorised system, assuming that the dish will not need planning permission. What channels can i expect to get when installed ?? Will i need to get a dodgy card from the pub so i can watch sky ? All this needs answering before i persuade the wife that satellite tv is all its cracked up to be...:stupid:

opsmonkey
27th November, 2008, 03:48 PM
dodgy card from the pub.. bit old skool that mate, times have moved on since the early 90's when you could stroll into any pub and pick up a dodgy sky card.. :)

you need a patchable box like a Technomate or even better a Dreambox.. however you will need decent knowledge of computers as most boxes need PC-SetTop box software, the Dreambox runs on Linux based software so you need to re-programme.. or you can buy an IP receiver which doesnt need programming (much) that updates over the air or onine... You deffo need a Broadband connection and a router though to get the best out of whats on offer..

If you just want to watch FTA programmes then get any box but if you want to cardshare then you will need to do some research..

ITS A SCAM !
27th November, 2008, 05:30 PM
many thanks for the reply, does the ip receiver connect to the router via wifi, or do i have to connect it with a cat5/6 lead ? i would prefer a unit that updates itself automatically, but that depends on whether i can keep things wireless (as most things are nowadays) Also i would like as many channels as cable has to offer, also including sky etc

opsmonkey
27th November, 2008, 06:04 PM
you can connect the IP receivers via wi-fi but you need something like a Linksys WGA54G.. ive always used a hard wired ethernet cable on my boxes..

you have no chance of getting sky with an auto-updating IP receiver..
in fact they are quite poor.. i had an innovative receiver as my first box and the server was always down had to rely on inputing keys which was a pain..
cleared a few channels namely ART / NOVA and the ~~~~ channels.. that was about it.

ITS A SCAM !
27th November, 2008, 06:54 PM
what box would you personally recommend ? The prices really vary, so making the right decision is not that easy

opsmonkey
27th November, 2008, 07:10 PM
i can only pass judgement on what i've got..
im not really best placed to give advice on anything other than a dreambox as its what ive got..

ive a genuine Dreambox 500S which i think is great..
the linux stuff is a bit complex at first if your a newbie to it but it soon starts to make sense..

.: JaCkPoT :.
27th November, 2008, 09:05 PM
btw... all 500s/t/c`s now are clones. if you buy one then expect a clone.

ITS A SCAM !
30th November, 2008, 09:51 PM
thanks for all that info....i will keep reading and learning...;)

nut
1st December, 2008, 11:20 PM
a clone 500s is o.k just do DO NOT use a gemini image it will brick your clone and it will need a jtag. how much cash do you want to spend? are you DIY install? if not an 80cm motor set up with out a box look to spend around ?150-200 then its down to the STB anything from ?50-1000 depending on what you want? 500s or a all singing dancing HD dreambox 8000 they all work the same way the only diffarance is the amount of tunners and if you want PVR or not.

my advice m8 is start with the dreambox 500s if a clone do not use gemini images and you will be o.k.