PDA

View Full Version : New wireless router

scm200
12th April, 2008, 09:44 PM
Hi all.
I am thinking about getting a new router for a bit more range in the house.
The one I have at the moment is up in the attic, but downstairs in the living room, the laptop is a bit slow due to a weak signal.
At the moment I have a Sitecomm router with the 802.11g standard.
The one I have seen is a Netgear WRN834B 802.11n router.
Reading about it, it is supposed to have a greater range (even if it only increases the range by another 5 metres, it will be enough), faster throughput, and a bit more secure as there are not as many people who use the "n" frequencies.
My laptop is compatable as it supports 802.11n as well as 802.11g, etc.
Would it be any good?

scm

Jaffa
12th April, 2008, 10:35 PM
Netgear do make great wireless stuff, I use their products although I cannot comment on wireless N.

Another alternative is a wireless repeater to boost your signal, the one I link below is excellent, I recommended it to my son in law who has a garage set up as a gym and pc area for gaming and he couldnt get a good enough signal, problem sorted once he got this. It is cheaper at Dabs and Ebuyer but I used this link so you could see a few reviews.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=4010

scm200
13th April, 2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks for that Jaffa.
I will do a bit more investingating before I take the plunge, although the one in the link looks fine.

scm

thommo
13th April, 2008, 11:50 PM
mines a netgear and it the best one ive had.

rangeMAX 240 wireless router model number WPNT834.

really good and even has settings in for max range, max speed, good combination of speed and range.

i like it a lot, lights up blue and green too,

got mine from e*ay but heres some info on it....

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wpnt834.asp

choleban
1st May, 2008, 01:56 PM
wifi routers are a strange breed. some routers work great in some conditions while others don't. They could be all speced to work at good ranges but sometimes it just does not work.
My exp. with Netgear is good. I've got two and they both work well. But a friend who has tried the same does not like them since he does not get good range.

If you could try it for a few days and return it if it does not work. My router is in the roof and many mates told me it is a bad position to keep your router, but hey i have absolutely no problem with range.

Good luck.

uglybloke1
11th May, 2008, 06:21 PM
have alook on ebuyer you get reviews on the routers from buyers