PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75 2lt Turbo BMw Cust out on throttle

cgscott
17th June, 2010, 09:00 PM
Having problems on a 2lt Turbo BMW engine Rover 75.

Just purchased. 172,000 miles on clock.
Thing is it sits and tics over no problem but as soon as you throttle it it cuts out.
Now here the thing. We looked in the tank and it had been running red deisel. So we thought it may be blocked.

We blew the hoses clear and check that the pump was working in the tank.

Checking the pump we noticed that it was not providing enough pressure when running. Only dribbling the diesel out and not spurting it like you would expect. So took off the pressure sensor and the car ran fine and revs to 3-4000 no problem.

As soon as we replace the sensor it does the same thing back to idle but as soon as throttle it cuts out.

Been told that these sensors rarely go wrong and im eager to know if there may be anything else that could be making this happen. I would think it would be the sensor if when on it causes bother when its off it runs fine but i may be overlooking another problem by taking this sensor out.

Any advice guys?

dafdiagnos
17th June, 2010, 10:28 PM
i think that by disconnecting the pressure sensor it will constantly be delivering full pressure. red diesel is not the cleanest fuel & the engine can run hotter using it. it might pay to use a good injector cleaner additive in the tank- it can't hurt

cgscott
17th June, 2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. It was running red but now it is flushed with white. What i still cant grasp might it be a faulty pressure sensor it might it be pump related? After reading a few other thread on the net i have noticed that people have resolved the issue by replacing the pumps. Althought this has already be done on the vehicle in the past 6 weeks.

Im at a standstill with this my next plan of action is to try the filter in the pump within the tank and see if this makes any difference but i just thought id run it by and see if i could pick up more info. Dont think running an injector cleanser through the system would make much difference as i stated it does run and rev with the fuel pressure sensor removed.

PS. There is no code fault thrown up with diagnostic check and the car was sent to England for an ECU refurb before i purchased the car.

smirnoff_rules
17th June, 2010, 10:46 PM
u have to remember there is 2 pumps // one is a low pressure and the one on the engine is a high pressure pump .. the high pressure one could well have a problem ie full of shit

dafdiagnos
17th June, 2010, 10:51 PM
or h.p. pump internal seals could be perished by additives in red diesel

cgscott
17th June, 2010, 11:06 PM
Will post back findings after i have more of a fiddle tommorow.

Cheers guys.

nutloose
18th June, 2010, 11:42 PM
if you can get it to run without the pressure sensor connected I would read live data from the sensor (0.5-4.5V) and read the pressure with a common rail test kit. If the rail pressure sensor displays higher than actual then the inlet metering valve will not be actuated to increase the pressure enough to run above tickover. or just swap in another sensor, its most likely that anyway.