PDA

View Full Version : Corsa C Oil light problem

parapilot
21st June, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hi all,

got my corsa C 2003, 1.2 sxi, the oil light has come on, i have checked the level and its fine. I have replaced the oil pressure switch and the light still remains on. Any ideas? Could the pump have failed?

there is some creamy stuff on the filler cap, but the car only does very short runs, i hear this is quite common, not nesseraly head gasket on the corsa. its quite low mileage (39000 miles)

The engine is also quite noisey, but again i hear thats common on corsa!

Anyone come accross this oil light issue?

Cheers
Jamie.

teuton
21st June, 2010, 02:47 PM
check the oil pressure with a gauge just to know wether there is a problem or not. To check it pull the pressure sensor and screw the gauge in. Compare the readings with spec.

parapilot
21st June, 2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks,

I dont have a gauge, any other way to tell?

im tempted to change oil filter to, see if that fixes it incase its blocked.

If not ill have to tow it to a garage, dont want to drive it if the engine is not getting any oil.

cheers
J

Meat-Head
21st June, 2010, 03:26 PM
Not the ideal solution, but unscrew the oil switch, jamb a bit of pipe in it, and see if it causes a foutain. above your head

1) Pour some oil back down the hole to 'prime' the pump
2) Has it been stood?
3) sorry just forgot what was thinking

r6eck
21st June, 2010, 03:59 PM
Change the oil filter,if no joy then you really need to get oil pressure checked

sergiompais
21st June, 2010, 11:43 PM
I had this issue on my corsa a few years ago (although it's a DTI version).
the screw that connects the oil pump to its gear-wheel on the timing belt (i understand that on the petrol version there's is a timing chain) got loose while i was driving on the motorway and the light imediatly came on.
it's worth checking the oil pressure at once, otherwise you may have serious costs in a short time.

parapilot
22nd June, 2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys there is no pressure and pipes are not blocked so looks like pump. Quoted ?250 for new one. But said they don't know how much damage could have been done. It's noisey but I'm hoping it's lack of oil as it was only driven about a mile after the oil light came on. If not new engine!! Fingers crossed.

cactikid
22nd June, 2010, 09:33 PM
if the oil and filter is not changed regularly possible oil strainer blockage because people think ah well i will just top up oil it will be grand,noisy engine possible ~~~~ed timing chain as they go at a low mileage,need to check oil pressure,must be something going on 2 cars in tomorrow re oil light problems lol

parapilot
22nd June, 2010, 09:50 PM
Oil and filter changed 6 months ago do it regular. No pressure at oil pressure switch. So thinking pump. It's noisey I'm hoping engine is fine tho /(

cactikid
22nd June, 2010, 10:17 PM
run over any boulders,sump?? damaged

parapilot
22nd June, 2010, 11:02 PM
Sump and all feeds are clear. Getting pump changed tomorrow with a dint in my pocket lol I'm just hoping engine ok. Times like this I wish I was a mechanic not an auto locksmith!! But I believe in don't mess with what you don't know so got a garage to do it. Thanks

parapilot
23rd June, 2010, 03:21 PM
Help! The garage have said they have spoke to people that have changed oil pump but not solved the problem. They want to put a new engine in it!!! Going to be at least1k surly there must be something :( thanks guys