PDA

View Full Version : big lesson to learn

felix1
13th April, 2008, 08:45 PM
i know most are new to adding files to their boxes since the codes changed the other day. but i really think that people should take this oppertunity to get to know their boxes a bit.
if you have a dreambox (as its been said b4) itcan do alot more than watch tv. also you may want to experiment with different images while its all working. ie know what goes where and how to do it.

i can understand that the reason its all new is thatmany have just found it easier to give the box bad to who ever and pay them what ever to sort it out. thats fine. but if you figure that the cable companies and make different changes every week what will we all do? they could kill this whole hack tomorrow if they choose. and its a waste just knowing how to switch you box on and changing channels.

you may decide to move to satellite. but things are the same on these boxes for that system too. so what you learn now will stand you in good stead.
ive had my DM7025 for about 2 years and when the channels went off the first thing i did was looked at the softcam and keylist files. i could see it was updating as it listed the cnages and you could see the times for each change. so it wasnt a normal key change.

if yo then delete the keys and clear each file (softcam and key list) you will literally see new keys so you know its a biig change. but it could have been alot worst.
forums always glog up when there are these chances and them people disappear again til the next change. and this is why some forums charge people to download files.

dont just think ahhh its fixed now i can watch the footy and thats all that matters. if you know your box you will have all the right cables software and everything. no reason why your box isnt permanantly connected to you pc or router anyway. theres internet radio. webcams from around the world. weather forcasts. and like its been mentioned you can watch the silly box from work or at a mates house over the net.

take my foolish advise. get to know your box now.

mojodrone
13th April, 2008, 08:55 PM
Well said felix. Agreed lot to learn but a powerful box. Worth spending few late nights!!!

i know most are new to adding files to their boxes since the codes changed the other day. but i really think that people should take this oppertunity to get to know their boxes a bit.
if you have a dreambox (as its been said b4) itcan do alot more than watch tv. also you may want to experiment with different images while its all working. ie know what goes where and how to do it.

i can understand that the reason its all new is thatmany have just found it easier to give the box bad to who ever and pay them what ever to sort it out. thats fine. but if you figure that the cable companies and make different changes every week what will we all do? they could kill this whole hack tomorrow if they choose. and its a waste just knowing how to switch you box on and changing channels.

you may decide to move to satellite. but things are the same on these boxes for that system too. so what you learn now will stand you in good stead.
ive had my DM7025 for about 2 years and when the channels went off the first thing i did was looked at the softcam and keylist files. i could see it was updating as it listed the cnages and you could see the times for each change. so it wasnt a normal key change.

if yo then delete the keys and clear each file (softcam and key list) you will literally see new keys so you know its a biig change. but it could have been alot worst.
forums always glog up when there are these chances and them people disappear again til the next change. and this is why some forums charge people to download files.

dont just think ahhh its fixed now i can watch the footy and thats all that matters. if you know your box you will have all the right cables software and everything. no reason why your box isnt permanantly connected to you pc or router anyway. theres internet radio. webcams from around the world. weather forcasts. and like its been mentioned you can watch the silly box from work or at a mates house over the net.

take my foolish advise. get to know your box now.

tomasz36
14th April, 2008, 08:19 PM
Hi Felix,

Thanks for your opinion, but I think ther are two sides of story.
I totally agree that people should get to know their dremaboxes better and use them not only to flipping the channels.
But some box users don't have an ability or simply don't want to use it another way. I spent a few evenings to find out, what can I do more with mine. But I love computing and for me it was just a pleasure to play with it. One more "baby" to my wirelles network.
I think that some people just don't care what else they can do with their dreamboxes and I absolutely understand them. Not everybody has to be interested in that. OR they're simply lazy.

Besides do you really think, that cable companies do care so much about dreamboxes users? I don't think that anybody could kill the big hack at all.
So many big companies tried and so far results are rather poor (not only cable companies).

In the end again thanks for encouraging people to do use boxes for something else that only watching TV.

dunryc
14th April, 2008, 08:25 PM
id agree with the second post a lot of people will buy a dream/dbox from ebay and not even know it runs linux they just want it to watch tv The only time they come on the forums is when the box goes down any uk cable forum has been busier than ever over the weekend with people trying to get there tv's back on

Devilfish
14th April, 2008, 08:52 PM
Some have even crumbled and gone offline because they couldn't cope with the demand.

thommo
14th April, 2008, 08:56 PM
is a shame if that correct, it looks like a hard task when you dont know but its quite easy to pick up, learning a little goes a long way with these boxes theres no need to be a wizard with them.

felix1
15th April, 2008, 12:20 AM
Hi Felix,

Thanks for your opinion, but I think ther are two sides of story.
I totally agree that people should get to know their dremaboxes better and use them not only to flipping the channels.
But some box users don't have an ability or simply don't want to use it another way. I spent a few evenings to find out, what can I do more with mine. But I love computing and for me it was just a pleasure to play with it. One more "baby" to my wirelles network.
I think that some people just don't care what else they can do with their dreamboxes and I absolutely understand them. Not everybody has to be interested in that. OR they're simply lazy.

Besides do you really think, that cable companies do care so much about dreamboxes users? I don't think that anybody could kill the big hack at all.
So many big companies tried and so far results are rather poor (not only cable companies).

In the end again thanks for encouraging people to do use boxes for something else that only watching TV.

i hear what youre say tomasz26. but we are talking about cable here and thats where the cable companies hold all the cards. they could simply change the codes in a bigger way or make more channels VOD. like they did with PPV where only the requested stream is sent to the subscribed box. although some can get access to channels who wants to watch what their niebour is watching when they are watching it. cable can cease at any time. this was a very simple change that had been a longtime in the coming and it is targeted at these boxes specifically. ie a box file a rom 7 file. rom 10 and 11 were targeted b4.

wasnt attacking the dreambox as such just the cable side of things.