PDA

View Full Version : is this possible?

captinkill
22nd June, 2010, 04:51 PM
i was woundering if its possible to make some sort of harness to connect to an older ecu (eg like one out of a 91 chevy truck or a 87 camaro) instead of haveing to pull apart the case and remove eeprom chips to tune just a thought not really sure if its possible thanks

oldford
22nd June, 2010, 05:35 PM
Of course it's possible. But whether the engine will run on this ecu? You would probably have to change some sensors and/or actuators and maybe even have the old ecu remapped for the new engine.
And whether the Abs and Instrumentation will still work or through up fault codes?
And you may also experience problems with the laws in your country. The ecu's you name are not OBD2 compliant.

If you do want to invest in a wiring loom, then use an aftermarket ecu (for competition use only). In some cases you can even buy plug-and-play ecu's which avoid the need for a wiring loom.

captinkill
22nd June, 2010, 07:28 PM
im just woundering instead of pulling the ecu apart and taking out eeprom chips if its possible to make some sort of harness to connect it to my comp instead of pulling chips out etc

on another note ive takein computers out of one vehicle and put them in another and ran fine the only issue was the check engine like came on (i put a gm computer in a honda same motor size)

Xram
23rd June, 2010, 02:11 AM
Far fewer sensors on an older motor so yeah it should run... But then you have issues like timing and fuel for different size injectors (single point and multi). Sounds like a sure fire way to burn some valves though the question isn't will it run? more how well will it run and how much fuel will it drink?? I would rather remap or repair the ecu in the car rather than having to try and map an alien ecu to the car. Defeats the whole purpose if you ask me. Yeah you can read an eprom chip in place but then you get feedback from the rest of the board (spam readings and writings). Removal of the chip is so that you only talk to the chip less things to go wrong that way.

oldford
23rd June, 2010, 09:23 AM
i put a gm computer in a honda same motor size
If I wanted to be sarcastic, I would say the quote is lesson 1 in how to destroy an engine.
More serious, the engine size is not the only thing that has to be same. Things like compression, camshafts, size of injectors and fuel pressure (just to name a few) must also be the same.
Never mind the characteristics of all sensors.
That engine light is not on for nothing.

captinkill
23rd June, 2010, 04:57 PM
If I wanted to be sarcastic, I would say the quote is lesson 1 in how to destroy an engine.
More serious, the engine size is not the only thing that has to be same. Things like compression, camshafts, size of injectors and fuel pressure (just to name a few) must also be the same.
Never mind the characteristics of all sensors.
That engine light is not on for nothing.

it was for a racecar in horent class made it run alot faster and wen the motor blew up we crushed it ya it wasnt the smartest this to do but we had fun doing it lol

Meat-Head
1st July, 2010, 10:34 PM
SORRY FOLKS CAN'T GET THIS TO WORK IT'S
THE POLO GOES BANG 2 VID 1MIN 20 YOU NEED TO WATCH

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YkXn_nwJLZk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YkXn_nwJLZk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iYh7mBJSyA)

346LSX
3rd July, 2010, 06:29 PM
emulation is old hat on GM ECMs
Moates.net sells the hardware
Fullsizechevy.com Thirdgen.org two good sites to read
up on real time tuning for obd1