PDA

View Full Version : 2005 DODGE MAGNUM ECM swap help

AvechuchoAxel
23rd June, 2010, 08:22 PM
I need the procedure to replace a faulty ECM for a used in good shape ECM.

I took the vehicle to an a local shop because I do not have the starscan... they came up with that ECM can not be programmed with actual VIN number / immo information.. (I believe he don't know how to....)

My specific questions are:

It is possible to re write the VIN# into a used ECM?

How the tech must perform such task?

Vehicle is a 2005 Dodge Magnum
3.6L
A/T
V6
USA market

Thanks!!!

afitijuana
24th June, 2010, 10:08 PM
Con la version 6 es posible pero con las mas recientes no se puede a menos que tengas un modulo virgen.

With version 6 is possible but with the newest is not pleasant to have a blank module.

phatty123
25th June, 2010, 03:40 AM
is it possible to run version 6 using witech interface?

sogaro
25th June, 2010, 07:40 AM
Am definite you can edit VIN using Cardaq Plus and with Skin reader and reprogrammer you can edit Vin in Skim which is niot necessary since you are not changing that at the moment. After changing VIN , looks like you still need to connect to techautority , not too sure why?

phatty123
25th June, 2010, 02:19 PM
what about in other modules like transmission or ficm?

sogaro
27th June, 2010, 08:56 AM
Not at all, nothing to do with TCM and others . Just the mentioned units

sukkamotton
9th July, 2010, 07:30 AM
hi there i flash j2435 programmer you can do it in a second.
the other is with getskim programmer.
getskim.com.

latemodel68
21st September, 2010, 03:29 AM
you can use the drb,starscan or starmobile to program this car.you do need the skim pin to transfer all data from the skim to the pcm.there is an option called pcm replaced.and i can tell you that i know for a fact a used pcm can be reprogramed,i do it every day.the dealer will give you a hard time about it.i guess they just want to make money on both service and parts.a good solution for chrysler is the cardaq plus.skim can be cleared and automatically relearned.very nice programmer and the toolbox software is very helpfull as well.hope this helps

sogaro
21st September, 2010, 05:32 AM
what do you mean Skim can be cleared and automatically relearnt? Can you tell the procedure in steps of a successful vin reprogram in any chrysler,thx.

latemodel68
21st September, 2010, 05:50 PM
if you have a cardaq plus,download the j2534 toolbox at drewtech.com.in the toolbox aplication go to chrysler.scroll down to skim reset option.peform the skim reset and rewrite the vin using the vin rewrite option.done!with that software,you can take a used computer with skim enabled,and reset it and install it in a car that has no skim.just did it about an hour ago on a 2003 town & country.once the skim is activated the factory scan tool can't even deactivate the skim.the cardaq plus is the only tool that i know will do this.
if both cars have skim,after peforming the skim reset,it will relearn the new skim code of the car you are working on.

sogaro
22nd September, 2010, 07:47 AM
Am going about this like a 5 year ol dkid m8 so take it easy on my could-be stupid questions cos i need to learn all i can on this.
Now, what i get from this is that there are some cars with skim and some without or the without is because i deliberately remove the skim from it? Now, if i get a used ECU and perform skim reset and reprogram the vin , if i remove the skim before cranking the car, will it start or i have to use the skim too so it can be relearnt? The relearning is automatic or manually done? What about the Keys if i don't use skim and if i do option, do i make new keys?

latemodel68
22nd September, 2010, 12:08 PM
when you reset the skim,if the car has skim,it will relearn the skim pin automatically into your used computer.if the car doesnt have skim,after doing a skim reset,the skim data is cleared and the car will start.the cardaq plus only does this on chrysler,dodge,jeep cars.not sure if it will do this on the newer can vehicles either.

latemodel68
22nd September, 2010, 12:26 PM
the skim and computer have a pin code that has to match.when you take a computer out of another car,the skim codes dont match anymore.by peforming a skim reset,the computer automatically relearns the skim pin of the car it is installed in.key data is stored in the skim module,so the ignition keys are not affected.i am not sure if the skim reset works on newer can cars.

cigars
2nd October, 2010, 12:38 AM
hi there i flash j2435 programmer you can do it in a second.
the other is with getskim programmer.
getskim.com.
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Gutz
7th June, 2011, 07:41 AM
I recently bought a Cardaq Plus and it works great, I have replaced a couple of PCMs already (a Sebring, and a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee), both had SKIM. We got them used, when my boss requested an used PCM for the Jeep , the Junk yard claimed that it wasn't possible to reprogram the VIN, I told my boss to order it any way, even my boss almost didn't believe me , he let the Jeep sit for another month in the shop till finally got it.

Gutz
9th June, 2011, 03:02 AM
After you reset a used PCM SKIM with cardaq, car will start, but make sure you also rewrite VIN #, can be done with same tool "Cardaq's J2534 Toolbox 2 program". if you don't the ABS light will turn on with a code for mismatched VIN.

Gutz
9th June, 2011, 03:13 AM
:deal:http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66692&stc=1&d=130http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66693&stc=1&d=13075855547585554 This procedure is for Cardaq Plus with "toolbox 2" soft (pre-CAN vehicles)
...please press the "thanks" button if it heps you!

qubits
7th August, 2014, 03:16 PM
I wanted to clarify this. A (reset or new or used without security) chrysler ECU doesn't learn PIN from SKIM module. It simply looks for SKIM module in the K-line. If it finds SKIM, then it will always wait for permission to run the car. Keyword is "alway' until you remove that feature or reset it. In the newer system like Skreem other data have to match too.

Pin is always in the SKIM, never ECU.

cardaq is not the only tool that can do it. But easier than other methods.

AvechuchoAxel
29th October, 2014, 08:05 AM
I have the LAUNCH J-BOX (Cardaq +), with the toolbox it was very easy to replace the ECM. What I notice TODAY, working on a 2011 Chrysler 300 stretch limo was that the function to re write mileage on PCM it doens't work, even setting mileage in increments of 8 miles.
I took my LAUNCH GDS, get into PCM and then the process was a piece of cake... It ask if the mileage was in between 2 readings , then I hit No and it pops a screen with a input option... I set new milleage and job was done in a matter of 10 seconds. "Cardaq fail to write back new mileage on SRI"

hunter123xyz
15th December, 2023, 11:39 PM
Also you might have issues if you verify your car for emissions, as the machine checks for the VIN. Regards.