PDA

View Full Version : Engine idling problem / DDE 5.0 fault?

airbone
29th June, 2010, 08:34 AM
Dear folks, I have strange problem with my E60 530d (2003 EU3), with idling. It is not stable, and RPM needle jumps/shakes from time to time a little bit (maybe 1-2mm) on rev gauge. This happens in irreguelar intervals - every few seconds. This can be observed both with cold or hot engine. However, when it is colder and wet outside, sometimes engine dies when idling. (like i am waiting at a red light with 'D' engaged and engine dies... This happens mostly when engine is not hot yet. Normally when engine is hot, car drives without any problem, just shakes the rpm at idling as described above. Firstly I suspected faulty injectors and I have measured these values with DIS at smooth running control:
(cold engine, idle)

Cyl1 0.3
Cyl5 0.1
Cyl3 1.2
Cyl6 -0.2
Cyl2 -0.1
Cyl4 -1.1

According to DIS, these values are fine (should be between -5 to +4 or something like that) although cyl3 looks weaker.... What do you think about these values? Can this cause the problem?

Furthermore, there is a rich list of DTCs:

4061 - Ambient Pressure sensor (installed in DDE control module), signal
Open or short circuit to ground
Fault currently present, SAE DT code: P2228

4477 - Intelligent Battery Sensor
no communication via BSD interface

4203 - Glow Control Module

44E2 - Generator

44D3 - Generator
Mechanical fault

4293 - Control Module, internal 16
Recovery occured
Fault currently not present

I think something is wrong with DDE unit... Because charging and generator gives no trouble, also Glowing works, so I believe there is something wrong with communication of DDE to BSD Interface.... However, I do not think this should cause the problem with idling and engine dying.... Also pressure sensor - WDS says that when it is broken, DDE takes substitute value counted from turbo pressure sensor....
I have opened the unit to see if there is something wrong, but it looks ok inside. I am not an expert, but some people says that there could be a moisture previously harming it. Connectors are ok. And also I can post pictures of DDE inside if someone could help me to locate this pressure sensor.... and tell where to get replacement...
I would very appreciate any suggestions on my problem.....

oldford
29th June, 2010, 08:45 AM
You have 2 DTC's which signal an INTERNAL fault in the DDE.
Also the BSD-interface doesn't seem to be working. That could be an internal DDE-problem or the line is blocked by another node.
You can find diagrams and information here: WDS BMW Wiring Diagram System - Model Selection (http://spaghetticoder.org/bmw/wds/)

Check if this ecu can be tested/repaired.

airbone
29th June, 2010, 12:25 PM
Yes, I have WDS. I must check BSD line, but this does not explain problem with the engine idling, I guess....
What about these injector values? Can 1.2 value of cylinder3 cause the problem?
I have searched, but there is nothing to find about DDE5 repair, nor any company that may help. I have contacted bba reman, but they told me they are not capable of repair or test this unit. I was thinking about buying used DDE5 of the same product no. but I think it will be a big problem to make it working with the car, as it will be already coded. Anybody can advise if possible to reprogram used DDE5 and what kind of stuff is needed? I have DIS and SSS, but afaik these can only adapt brand new blank DDE, furhermore some code is needed from dealer....

oldford
29th June, 2010, 01:15 PM
Bmw says you can't use 2nd hand ecu, not even for testing.
It all depends on the anti-theft system used. WDS should give you exact details.

Check live data when the engine is cold/warming up. Things like all the temperature sensors (coolant, intake air, fuel) and the map sensor values.

airbone
29th June, 2010, 11:13 PM
Will check live data tomorrow and post here.
But about the used ECU, I heard it is possible to clone with some 3rd party tools..... Any idea?