PDA

View Full Version : Vauxhall Astra - should I shouldn't I...

resonance
29th November, 2008, 05:57 PM
Got someone willing to take my Golf S reg in px for a Astra 07 plate only done 10k.
The price of the Astra is 5750 and the px on the Golf is 1900. He is not a big trader/dealer.
Looking at the autotrader the Astras are averaging at 6k for an 07 plate at around the 10k miles.
Is it worth trying to see if a bigger dealer would be able to give me a higher px price?
Bearing in mind the Golf does not have a/c, no sunroof and the colour is red.

tia.

nut
29th November, 2008, 06:52 PM
Got someone willing to take my Golf S reg in px for a Astra 07 plate only done 10k.
The price of the Astra is 5750 and the px on the Golf is 1900. He is not a big trader/dealer.
Looking at the autotrader the Astras are averaging at 6k for an 07 plate at around the 10k miles.
Is it worth trying to see if a bigger dealer would be able to give me a higher px price?
Bearing in mind the Golf does not have a/c, no sunroof and the colour is red.

tia.

sell it privately if you PX a car you will lose ???'s if somthing is worth having then its worth saving for, get the most cash for your car and then go looking. i used to trade cars my self and would love PX cars known in the game as a steal i stole the car off a punter. (offer next to nothing)

If you spend ?50 or DIY on a full valet that can add ???'s to the price the car will fetch. my advice dont PX unless you know something is wrong with your car and the dealer will not pick up on it untill its brought back by the next person who buys it from them.

resonance
29th November, 2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the reply nut.
You are right, I should sell it privately. There are some issues with the car, such as the bushes being a bit noisy when it's been cold.
Am sure there is going to be less comeback being pxed than being sold private, but will try and hold back on this till the new year.

nut
29th November, 2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the reply nut.
You are right, I should sell it privately. There are some issues with the car, such as the bushes being a bit noisy when it's been cold.
Am sure there is going to be less comeback being pxed than being sold private, but will try and hold back on this till the new year.the bushes being a bit noisy when it's been cold???

put SOLD AS SEEN on the receipt and the law is on your side. fix the bushes few ??'s and sell it no come backs. The car you are thinking about the astra the same year at auction (lot needs to be taken in to acount!) even a good one im sure it will cost at least ?2,000 cheaper than what the dealer is offering you. This is what i used to work on. e.g

that astra you are looking @ i pick it up from auction for ?3,000 my mark up would be ?4,999 you come along with your VW Ill give you ?2,000P.X i get your car for nothing your car is all proffit.

sell it private and cut out the middleman and go make the saving your self from auction and save ????/s expect to spend a few ??? on anything that may need fixing /brakes/ service/ ect.. take someone along with you who knows a bit about cars and you will be amazed at what you will pick up

ps
go to the autions a few times over the space of the month you will know what the car you had your eye on fetched or did not? so the next time you have some idea and can offer a bit more or even less because at the end of the week if the car as not sold after 2X going throught the auction it goes back to the owner unsold if they want to get shot of it they will takea lot less.

resonance
29th November, 2008, 09:08 PM
thanks nut, gonna heed your advice and keep it for the mo.
any good auction houses to go to to get a feel?

nut
29th November, 2008, 09:35 PM
thanks nut, gonna heed your advice and keep it for the mo.
any good auction houses to go to to get a feel?
where do you live? there are 100s all over the u.k dont bother with anything online you cant see it. look in the local yellow paper "free adds" or search google they usually have adds for local car auction houses. i live in s.wales i used to go to Swansea anything from 2-500 cars would go through a week saturday being the last day of the auction i would buy 90% of my cars on.

another thing i used to do with main dealers where i live is go round and see what they have e.g someone would take a Vauxhall in to PX in bridgend ford for a new car i would go and ask them "what PX they have for trade" they will point you to the back of the site and say anything down there.

how was this any good?? they take a PX it's a ford main dealer they do not want to sell any other cars other than ford the vauxhall will be sent on a tuesday or saturday to swansea for auction. Ill make them an offer before they are sent. whats good about that? i save -they save no indemnity fees!. we both save ???.

resonance
29th November, 2008, 11:50 PM
cool, I live in Herts, just above the m25.
Swansea will be a bit of a trek!

Will check out the local ads

nut
29th November, 2008, 11:57 PM
cool, I live in Herts, just above the m25.
Swansea will be a bit of a trek!

Will check out the local adsthere will be 2 or 3 close to or around you im sure. check them out 8-).

wish you all the best
nut