PDA

View Full Version : astra h 1.7cdti turns over but wont start

westy_77
14th July, 2010, 12:25 PM
hi guys,
driving along and car cut out,put a code reader on and it showed crank sensor,replaced it still wouldnt start(but does crank)have now tested all fuel pump,injection system,timing cambelt everything is fine.
But just sent ecu off they found 2 faults fixed it,sent it back put it in still the same!!!! i dont know what to do,why didnt the computer show an ecu fault??
weird i need some help!!
many thanks

Liteace
14th July, 2010, 02:04 PM
Scope the crank sensor, it maybe problem with bent or missing tooth\teeth on the crank.

Meat-Head
14th July, 2010, 06:12 PM
Scope the crank sensor, it maybe problem with bent or missing tooth\teeth on the crank.
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:Better than that Jim, suggest the 'teeth' on the crank shaft have 'fell off'

Liteace
14th July, 2010, 08:56 PM
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:Better than that Jim, suggest the 'teeth' on the crank shaft have 'fell off'

"teeeth" fall out, they dont fall off

Meat-Head
14th July, 2010, 09:34 PM
"teeeth" fall out, they dont fall off

:fight:is another way

Refusing to pay your invoive at M-H-M is also an option

Refering to 'this' totally wrong image, but will do for what is a rumor going around

http://www.yiparts.com/data/120131/1-46022633c9135.jpg

racin-snake
14th July, 2010, 09:43 PM
the relluctor ring can become loose and move or teeth can break off seen it with a bent con rod situation
but for this one in paticuliar
what codes are you getting ?
and with what are you reading it with?
edu is a common failure on these as is derv ingress to the ecm
worth looking at the codes you get can you post them?

westy_77
14th July, 2010, 11:26 PM
the codes are p0335 crank shaft sensor malfunction,p0500 vehicle speed sensor malfunction abs/tc/esp.

whats your thoughts on them??

these were picked up on proper vauxhall tech 2,but if the ecu was faulty why didnt it pick that up?

thanks for your help

racin-snake
15th July, 2010, 12:13 AM
what i said was the edu suffers from problems .ie dry solder on relay for spill control
and ecu can suffer from diesel ingress
not malfunction
the best and easiest answer to your faults is find out what the sensors doing in real time
if it has a crank/cam sensor scope the both and look for tdc synchronisation
also not entrely sure what engine or variant it is but
if the edu goes down theere wil be no fuel suply to the injectors
but will flag a code
another thing is the reluctor is sometimes a matal strip round the crankshaft again i do not have a diag so shooting in the dark
but this can vibrate loose and caus the reluctor to move around and take tdc out of sync
also on tech2 you will have the option of guided diagnostics
use tat to graph the crank cam situ
again i am only trying to help

racin snake

carsolution
15th July, 2010, 02:47 AM
Hi friend.
To check if it is the cramshaft sensor you must do 1 of 2 things.
In Opel cars we can see it without diagnose machine.
first option - if you have diagnose machine put it in live data and see if it is reading rpm signal.
second option - In opel cars when the cramshaft is not reading the rpm pointer in the dashboard doesnt move, if it reads it moves even if it is just a little.
Test this way if no diagnose machine.
Best Regards,
Nuno

westy_77
15th July, 2010, 06:56 AM
cheers guys
when we put tech 2 on the crankshaft is reading giving a signal when turning over (200-300)which i persume means that it is picking it up although it showing as fault?

racing snake when u refer to edu/ecu i take it u mean the same thing?its located at the front in the wheel arch(stupid place to have ecu!!??)if you was seeing a reading would u rule out the reluctor ring?

what i did notice is when turning over there was little if none reading from the camshaft sensor when turning over which i have tryed a new camshaft sensor which does not make any difference but a solid reading from crankshaft.

bizzare its driving me mad but all your helps are brilliant cheers

Ashraf6119
15th July, 2010, 08:27 AM
Hi

Have you checked the Timing if its not jumped :questionmark: it could be one tooth out.

Ash

racin-snake
15th July, 2010, 09:23 AM
can you give us full details ie engine code and year ect
also unfortunately no the crank signal will still show if relluctor has moved it will just see tdc as a different position
is cam sensor in the pump on this one ?
full details would help a big bit
as we cannot see or hear the car
on other thing will it start with brake cleaner ?
also ive seen these to have oil pump wreck completely vauvhall have a modified oil pump
but if it were to seize then maybe it could have jumped a tooth on timing ?
all in theory but an option

westy_77
15th July, 2010, 12:36 PM
Ok i have checked the timing/cambelt etc and it is spot on.

have not tryed brake cleaner yet,what will this eliminate if it starts or does not?
the cam sensor is at the top level with the ca**** the front as u look at the engine...

When u say engine code what do u mean or where can i get that from?
Thanks for all your helps any ideas will certainly help!!

racin-snake
15th July, 2010, 01:35 PM
engine code should be in service book and on the engine too
the ecu is at th top of the engine the edu is at the back of the engine at o/s drive shaft or there about's
if you can give year ect it will help us to help you
and brake cleaner will start this car if sprayed down the inlet manifold
but only briefly as long term may cause damage
post full details
remember we cannot help with no info
as we cannot see the car and diagnostics is one thing but doing it remotely is another
post full details no need for vin or reg
just engine year ect

teuton
15th July, 2010, 01:52 PM
If really
fuel pump,injection system,timing cambelt everything is fine.
, then just go back to the basics; check compression, do a cylinder leak down test etc. BTW you didn' t put fuel in shortly before it stopped working?
As recommended by racing snake please come up with engine details.

dafdiagnos
15th July, 2010, 06:51 PM
if the vehicle starts with brake cleaner then you will know the timing is in synch & it will be down to fuelling trouble. you need to oscilloscope test the cam & crank sensor signals at the ecu pins for good waveforms to make sure it's not wiring trouble

carsolution
15th July, 2010, 06:56 PM
Take a look at the ECU, it is located behind the whell and in that space it takes a lot of water.
Open it and see if you have water signals.
Remove the injectors connectors and see in the connectors if you have signal to open the injectors.
You can check it with a led, The supply for the injectors comes directly from the ECU, if you dont have signal start considering you can have ECU damaged.
Regards,
Nuno

carsolution
15th July, 2010, 06:57 PM
I forgot to say that at front of left wheel there are a big earth point, check it for bad contact, it is not the first time this problem happens to me.
Regards,
Nuno

westy_77
15th July, 2010, 08:39 PM
thanks for your help again...

here is the engine number z17dth 01521093

hope this might help some more!!

westy_77
15th July, 2010, 08:42 PM
I forgot to say that at front of left wheel there are a big earth point, check it for bad contact, it is not the first time this problem happens to me.
Regards,
Nuno
nice one thanks for the advice will check them tommorow..

im loosing patience with it!!

westy_77
15th July, 2010, 08:45 PM
if the vehicle starts with brake cleaner then you will know the timing is in synch & it will be down to fuelling trouble. you need to oscilloscope test the cam & crank sensor signals at the ecu pins for good waveforms to make sure it's not wiring trouble
cheers for that but have checked all wiring and is fine i still need to do the brake cleaner test!!
its driving me mad....think im gonna have to check receptor ring aswell although i would of thought it would be pretty unlikely?!
cheers

westy_77
15th July, 2010, 08:47 PM
engine code should be in service book and on the engine too
the ecu is at th top of the engine the edu is at the back of the engine at o/s drive shaft or there about's
if you can give year ect it will help us to help you
and brake cleaner will start this car if sprayed down the inlet manifold
but only briefly as long term may cause damage
post full details
remember we cannot help with no info
as we cannot see the car and diagnostics is one thing but doing it remotely is another
post full details no need for vin or reg
just engine year ecti have put this in my thread but here is my engine numbers z17dth 01521093 hope this helps !!will do brake cleaner test tommorow and let u know the outcome!! thanks for your help man i need it!!

westy_77
16th July, 2010, 12:28 PM
have tried the brake cleaner and it will not start...any more ideas other than burn it!!

obdmaster
16th July, 2010, 06:38 PM
have tried the brake cleaner and it will not start...any more ideas other than burn it!!

If it dont run on brake cleaner m8, your engine is mechanically wrong, id of thought!!!!!

I stand to be corrected?:smokin:

Meat-Head
16th July, 2010, 06:52 PM
If it dont run on brake cleaner m8, your engine is mechanically wrong, id of thought!!!!!

I stand to be corrected?:smokin:

agree, but
a) racing-snake (think) always uses it
M-H-M prefer 'Easy Start' - causes more damage and smells nicer
b) try towing in gear 1/4 mile then brake cleaner to 'warm' up the engine
acts like an air compresser

teuton
16th July, 2010, 06:57 PM
check compression, do a leak downtest!!

westy_77
19th July, 2010, 06:08 PM
hi have put easy start in and still wont start what could this be...

Meat-Head
19th July, 2010, 07:55 PM
hi have put easy start in and still wont start what could this be...

Your engine is ~~~~ed, you need a new one.

remember to inhale that Easystart, good stuff