PDA

View Full Version : Good and cheep charger for programing

koziolek
16th July, 2010, 03:15 AM
Do You know witch charger is good to keep steady voltage during programing,I don't wona buy expensive snap on or some similar crap
any cheaper solution?

koziolek
17th July, 2010, 04:08 PM
is schumacher SF-2001 OK?

debreshnev
30th July, 2010, 11:39 PM
The cheapest "Good" battery charger I have found for programming is the Midtronics PSC-550 they run just over $300. May seem like a lot but considering it is doing what the $1500 stabilized chargers are doing they are a great deal. I have been using them for 4 years now with great success. I have probably programmed 300+ cars with them in this time. They have smaller models in the PSC series that are less expensive if the amperage is high enough for your application. The 550 will put out 55 amps, this is enough for any car even F01 7 series. The PSC-350 is 35 amps, etc...

The cheaper Schumacher chargers are rolling the dice if it is going to work. I went through about 3-4 of these before I found these Midtronics units. They will not hold up and they do not really stabilize the voltage if you put a voltmeter on the car while programming you will see the voltage is all over the place. With the Midtronics it will be at 13.8 for as long as it is turned on.

buffetw
4th August, 2010, 04:55 AM
I second Midtronics. Good unit great for price.

nutloose
9th August, 2010, 07:14 PM
midtronics are the best option, but I have used a durite charger and left it under load to even out the voltage fluctuations

stupidguy
17th August, 2010, 11:46 PM
IOTA Engineering DLS Series AC/DC Power Converters and Battery Chargers for 12VDC Systems (http://www.iotaengineering.com/12vdc.htm)

These all have the same spec....I swear it's who midtronics rebrands. They are rv power supplies and are available cheap.

buffetw
18th August, 2010, 02:48 AM
For bench programming, you can't beat a pc power supply.

Sleuth
18th August, 2010, 02:54 AM
I`m with Stupidguy???...Had my Iota for 3-4 years now--great charger..mine is the 55 amp, with 2 voltage levels..

tridoc
18th August, 2010, 07:09 AM
I also have the iota brand, mine is the 90 amp IQ4 (built in intelligent regulator) I also have the 55amp midtronics branded one and in fact got curious and peeled the midtronics lable only to find the iota lablel. The price difference is worth buying the iota>> but I got tell you the midtronics does come with cables and a nice carrying case/bag, but with no frills buy the latter and add your own !! Also if your have a good electronics supply house look into a lambda power supply that can supply 14.4 - 14.8 constant with varrying / regulated amperage. (if you plan to do high end euro vehicle you'll need at least 70 -75 amps) The dealers and serious indies use the Deutronics or Fronius, quite pricey and I think the Fronius is the better of the two (the deutronics is sensitive to how you mount / use it>>> must lay flat and upright or run the risk of having some smd's coming off due to heat, although I know that some guys add an additional hd pc fan>>> good luck !!!

Floyd
23rd August, 2010, 06:35 PM
Starter battery pack on to battery and make sure it's connected to mains while your doing the flashing.

Never failed me, I read I believe in Global Tis, even GM recommend this way.

Hope this helps and don't forget the thanks button.

mishu_b
24th August, 2010, 10:17 AM
the cheapest solution is to connect the battery to another car with the engine on, I never failed with this solution!

br