PDA

View Full Version : ET with DPA4 & OffRoad Cat Machines

sarky
16th July, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hi Guys,

Well i have searched for a while with no answer to my question so i have finaly decided to ask the question on the forum..

I have purchased a DPA 4 PLus from Dearborn which came with the cable DB15 to Deutsch Connector, which worked brilliantly without flaw on the Cummins connector.

On the CAT machine it has the same connector but without the key on pin A, I have found out that CAT changed the Voltage terminal from the Standard A = GND & B = + to A = + & B = GND. So i decided to create a DB15 Male to DB15 Female to do the swapping of cables, which powered the unit no problem but the signal is the issue at the moment.

On the Machine the Connector which has some form of terminal are A, B, D & E.

A = +
B = GND
D = ???
E = ???

From the standard i saw it should be:
A = GND
B = +
E = J1939 Shield
D = J1939 -
C = J1939 + "Which doesnt exist"

Any Help would be apreciated.

Thanks

Sarky

flylikeabird
27th October, 2010, 11:07 PM
off road cats use a differant procol only cat adapter will talk to machines ect,,797 785 and so on

carlu78
27th October, 2010, 11:26 PM
Hi Guys,

Well i have searched for a while with no answer to my question so i have finaly decided to ask the question on the forum..

I have purchased a DPA 4 PLus from Dearborn which came with the cable DB15 to Deutsch Connector, which worked brilliantly without flaw on the Cummins connector.

On the CAT machine it has the same connector but without the key on pin A, I have found out that CAT changed the Voltage terminal from the Standard A = GND & B = + to A = + & B = GND. So i decided to create a DB15 Male to DB15 Female to do the swapping of cables, which powered the unit no problem but the signal is the issue at the moment.

On the Machine the Connector which has some form of terminal are A, B, D & E.

A = +
B = GND
D = ???
E = ???

From the standard i saw it should be:
A = GND
B = +
E = J1939 Shield
D = J1939 -
C = J1939 + "Which doesnt exist"

Any Help would be apreciated.

Thanks

Sarky

i hope this help you...

rp1210a
29th October, 2010, 02:55 AM
flylikeabird said it right. You can swap pins around all day long. Most cat offroad equiptment communicates via CDL. Only the OEM cat interface wil work.

lanchero
13th December, 2010, 04:11 AM
Excume can somebody tell me what?s the function of the J1939 SHIELD CABLE.

Regards

carlu78
13th December, 2010, 06:49 AM
flylikeabird said it right. You can swap pins around all day long. Most cat offroad equiptment communicates via CDL. Only the OEM cat interface wil work.
i found a way to diagnostic cat machines whit et and dpa4...only engine..interestings...seend me a pm...:elefant:

rp1210a
13th December, 2010, 02:35 PM
hey bud whats the trick to get dpa4 working with cat machines?

ooops missed part about PM...pm sent

tlimsi
26th December, 2010, 12:03 AM
Sorry guy. The Cat machine you are trying to hook up to uses CDL protocol not supported by DB. You must have a Cat data link adapter to connect to that machine.

RichardMX
19th February, 2011, 07:28 PM
Hi, i got the DPA 4 but cant connect to the truck, i test it with the Validation Tool and accepts the protocol J1708. But still cant connect with the ET.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

RSwire
19th February, 2011, 08:46 PM
Hi, i got the DPA 4 but cant connect to the truck, i test it with the Validation Tool and accepts the protocol J1708. But still cant connect with the ET.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Did you select your interface from the interface preferances?

dieselman77
19th February, 2011, 11:28 PM
you have to install the driver disk first and then restart the computer so it will recognize the drivers then open cat et and select the adapter from the list and apply it then it should connect automatically everytime you open the et program

RichardMX
22nd February, 2011, 07:56 PM
Yes i did all what you guys say.

In the preferences only shows USBDPA 4 / DPA4plus ....
And selects the ATA and J1939 protocols, my question is if ATA means j1708?
Couse i test the connection with the validation tool and the engine accepts the protocol j1708 but as i said the program ET dont.

Thanks for all the comments!

joeseph666
23rd February, 2011, 06:51 AM
There is a special INI file. It must be setup for your adapter. With Dearborn... you run Adapter Validation Tool.

In the Vendor box: pick DG121032 - Dearborn Group RP1210A
In the Device box there is only one choice.
In the Protocol box, just leave it on CAN.

Then click the Fix/Change RP121032.INI File button.

You get a window with two short but wide text boxes...
and a drop-down titled "Vendor to Make First in List."
Again, pick DG121032 - Dearborn Group RP1210A

The second line of the lower box should start out as:
APIImplementations=DG121032,{...}

If the upper box is identical to the lower... then this was not your problem. If they are different... click Make Changes.

Some programs are affected if the first item in the list is not the current adapter. Not sure about ET.