PDA

View Full Version : will i still have dolby surround sound

daithi
18th July, 2010, 12:48 PM
the young lad broke my dvd player the surround sound still works just wont play a dvd

if i bought a cheap dvd player could i connect it to the surround sound or would the just play like normal speakers

pardon the lack of good quality terminoligy lol

xant14
18th July, 2010, 01:09 PM
Depends..
Obviously your broken DVD player has the amp and speaker connections, but does it have any inputs in? in particular Digital sound input, this will either be co-axial digital (looks like a normal single phono connection but in black, or more commonly, a SPDIF optical digital. like an arched shaped flap.
If it does have an audio input (and most probably an AUX setting on your control panel), then you need dvd player with the same audio output, again, most common is the optical.

I would suggest your best option is to start again.. either with your all in one, or a seperate AV amp and decent DVD player.
DVD players are cheap nowadays, even a blu-ray (which will play all your normal dvds, and WILL have a digital audio out) can be had for less the ?100. And a cheaper AV amp, ?150 ish.

dasteph
18th July, 2010, 01:14 PM
the young lad broke my dvd player the surround sound still works just wont play a dvd

if i bought a cheap dvd player could i connect it to the surround sound or would the just play like normal speakers

pardon the lack of good quality terminoligy lol

just look for a new dvd player with the same audio output at the rear as your old one.

daithi
18th July, 2010, 02:06 PM
Depends..
Obviously your broken DVD player has the amp and speaker connections, but does it have any inputs in? in particular Digital sound input, this will either be co-axial digital (looks like a normal single phono connection but in black, or more commonly, a SPDIF optical digital. like an arched shaped flap.
If it does have an audio input (and most probably an AUX setting on your control panel), then you need dvd player with the same audio output, again, most common is the optical.

I would suggest your best option is to start again.. either with your all in one, or a seperate AV amp and decent DVD player.
DVD players are cheap nowadays, even a blu-ray (which will play all your normal dvds, and WILL have a digital audio out) can be had for less the ?100. And a cheaper AV amp, ?150 ish.

problem is ive just bought a gaff an haven the spare dosh for a new one
can afford the dvd player alright there cheap enough

theres an optical in on the back of it and an aux connection red an white and a scart

would any of them lidl or aldi ones suit it

xant14
18th July, 2010, 02:14 PM
problem is ive just bought a gaff an haven the spare dosh for a new one
can afford the dvd player alright there cheap enough

theres an optical in on the back of it and an aux connection red an white and a scart

would any of them lidl or aldi ones suit it

Is the optical IN? more likely it is an out.
When I mentioned AUX setting, I meant the Auxillary setting, ie, the NEW DVD player, or whaever you input into it.
My old Sony DAV 550S 'All in one' had just a stereo input in (if I remember right) red and white phono plugs, but had an optical digital out.
I could get sound out of all speakers, but it wasn't Dolby surround sound, just stereo split into 5 speakers.

what is the exact make and model of you knackered dvd system?

daithi
18th July, 2010, 02:28 PM
its a panasonis sa-pt460
and it says optical in on the back of it where the connection inlet is

have good news stripped the top off it to see if i cud see anything wrong with it
and it started working again it stays closed when i put a dvd in cant check it till later though will let ya no the story

must of been wedged or something and kept openin an closing

xant14
18th July, 2010, 02:43 PM
Ahh, well done, and, it just goes to show how little I know.
Shoulda remembered technology moves on.. you would have been able to get the DVD (amp) to play your Dolby sound then.
My old thing never even had HDMI, even tho it was quite a good un in its time.

daithi
18th July, 2010, 03:49 PM
it worked a few times and has started grinding again when it opens and closes any idea what i need then to hook a dvd to it what type of optical cable
and does the dvd player im buyin need an optical in or out

cheers mate

cactikid
18th July, 2010, 07:10 PM
if you buy a dvd it will need an out as most should have one type or other and that will go to in on amp.
Monster Cable? Home Theater Cables and Connections Guide (http://www.monstercable.com/connection/home_theater_connection_guide.asp)

daithi
18th July, 2010, 07:17 PM
if you buy a dvd it will need an out as most should have one type or other and that will go to in on amp.
Monster Cable? Home Theater Cables and Connections Guide (http://www.monstercable.com/connection/home_theater_connection_guide.asp)

cheers mate so all i need is a hdmi dvd player with optical out and connect them together

sound

just spotted this in lidl thursday shoild do the job

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20100722.p.HDMI_DVD_Player

xant14
18th July, 2010, 07:45 PM
yeah, optical for your sound.. to your amp.. and put the hdmi to your telly for the vid... and then mute your telly.
You may need to go into settings on your DVD and enable dig sound out. it might just do it without doing owt.

wooper
8th November, 2010, 04:20 PM
Hi

Could not open your Lidl link, but found this in a general google search:-

Lidl Silvercrest DivX DVD Player with 7in2 card reader USB 2.0 port ?29.99!

Further :-

digital output:
Coaxial and optical

So, if your so system has an optical IN, you are in business.

Google Toslink cable, thats all you need. Then on your surround system you will need to set to D digi, or Dolby out or whatever the out put says (its the one with AUX etc)

By the way, Aux is no good, the red and white cable just gives stereo through 5 speakers, ie, you will have voices behind you. 5.1 should have voices front and sound effects at the rear, so to speak.

Volume down on tv, again, toggle your surround sound options to Dolby Movies.

daithi
8th November, 2010, 08:35 PM
Hi

Could not open your Lidl link, but found this in a general google search:-

Lidl Silvercrest DivX DVD Player with 7in2 card reader USB 2.0 port ?29.99!

Further :-

digital output:
Coaxial and optical

So, if your so system has an optical IN, you are in business.

Google Toslink cable, thats all you need. Then on your surround system you will need to set to D digi, or Dolby out or whatever the out put says (its the one with AUX etc)

By the way, Aux is no good, the red and white cable just gives stereo through 5 speakers, ie, you will have voices behind you. 5.1 should have voices front and sound effects at the rear, so to speak.

Volume down on tv, again, toggle your surround sound options to Dolby Movies.

ya mate once ya have optical in your laughing
and this is the cable ya need there cheap
eBay.ie: 2M PURE OPTICAL DIGITAL TOS LINK CABLE TOSLINK LEAD 1a (item 160474393811 end time 27-Nov-10 11:55:09 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.ie/2M-PURE-OPTICAL-DIGITAL-TOS-LINK-CABLE-TOSLINK-LEAD-1a-/160474393811?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item255d04ecd3)
i can also plug my external hard drive into it and watch pictures and most downloaded movies on it