PDA

View Full Version : Can't shut down my computer (Linux Mint 9)

te_wik
20th July, 2010, 12:14 AM
Hello.

I have e problem with my computer. I use Linux Lime 9 Isador.
When I want to shut down I can't.

The problem is;
Everything works as it should until the "dots" starts to be green. When it reaches to the third (3) dot it stops and the computer never shuts down.

I also have Windows 7 installed and it shuts down just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Bass_Man
20th July, 2010, 03:18 AM
Do you can take a picture ?

te_wik
20th July, 2010, 03:49 PM
Do you can take a picture ?

Well, I tried. But it wasn't easy. :P

http://www1.garaget.org/gallery/archive/27325/966872_xspiqo.jpg (http://www.garaget.org/mypage/gallery.php?user=te_wik&cat=100158&image=966872)

http://www1.garaget.org/gallery/archive/27325/966873_dp9c2v.jpg (http://www.garaget.org/mypage/gallery.php?user=te_wik&cat=100158&image=966873)

/Tommy

IMnobody
30th July, 2010, 07:38 PM
You might check the Mint Linux forum, where a solution may already be available.
I could be a glitch in the Linux version itself, which should be resolved in future versions. So, you might be stuck with this issue for a while.
The good news is, you can simply power off the computer (unlike Windows), the only thing you lose, is any unsaved data.

IM

Canker_Canison
2nd August, 2010, 10:58 AM
Be careful what you do with the computer if you just power off. Part of the shutdown process parks the HDD heads.

Now, things may of progressed since I last looked into it. But if the Bios doesn't park it then any sudden movement or knocks to the case could cause surface damage on the disks.

james.farrow
2nd August, 2010, 11:37 AM
try opening a terminal as root and type poweroff at the command prompt - see if that shuts it down.

te_wik
15th August, 2010, 09:55 AM
try opening a terminal as root and type poweroff at the command prompt - see if that shuts it down.

"Program "ROOT" isn't installed" it says.

Mvh Tommy

jeff114
15th August, 2010, 10:11 AM
"Program "ROOT" isn't installed" it says.

Mvh Tommy

sudo shutdown -h now ;-)

te_wik
16th August, 2010, 06:08 PM
sudo shutdown -h now ;-)

Still the same. No shutdown. :damnmate:

/Tommy

nerwus
16th August, 2010, 10:04 PM
Linux have problem with your ACPI. CheckBIOS settings and also if this distribution handles your laptop correctly.

jeff114
17th August, 2010, 07:08 AM
Still the same. No shutdown. :damnmate:

/Tommy

What is the last message after running shutdown command?

Mafketel
17th August, 2010, 08:41 AM
Lol I thought it would be solved by now ;)

Tommy U still use it ?

Anyway.... from the dots we do not know what to do.
From ur root does not exist comment I deduct ur not working on the terminal a lot ;)
Anyway before you turn of your laptop try to go to the virtul terminal number one....
U do that by pressing
ctrl alt f1
you probably need to login there and don't worry if you don't see your pasword * appear if you type it will registered just hit enter after password.
Then type
sudo shutdown -h now
You will see a whole bunch of messages pass by and at some point it will stop or turn off.

Good luck

te_wik
23rd August, 2010, 09:13 PM
Lol I thought it would be solved by now ;)

Tommy U still use it ?

Anyway.... from the dots we do not know what to do.
From ur root does not exist comment I deduct ur not working on the terminal a lot ;)
Anyway before you turn of your laptop try to go to the virtul terminal number one....
U do that by pressing
ctrl alt f1
you probably need to login there and don't worry if you don't see your pasword * appear if you type it will registered just hit enter after password.
Then type
sudo shutdown -h now
You will see a whole bunch of messages pass by and at some point it will stop or turn off.

Good luck

Hallo.

Yes, a bunch of messages passes by (in the speed of light ;) ) and then the green dots appear, 1-2-3 and then... nothing! See pics i posted earlier.

/Tommy

te_wik
23rd August, 2010, 09:14 PM
What is the last message after running shutdown command?

I don't know, the messages runs so fast i can't see them.

/Tommy

Mafketel
7th September, 2010, 04:15 PM
Did you try to go back to the console with ctrl alt f1 and the messages should be still there although shift page up does not work anymore.
Now please tell us what it says.

btw you could also look in var log messages or var log bootlog to see what is going on but sometimes you just need to see what is written on the console.

Mjolinor
7th September, 2010, 04:19 PM
Be careful what you do with the computer if you just power off. Part of the shutdown process parks the HDD heads.

Now, things may of progressed since I last looked into it. But if the Bios doesn't park it then any sudden movement or knocks to the case could cause surface damage on the disks.

Not a worry as disks autopark and have done for a long time :)

enigmas
13th September, 2010, 02:33 PM
First of all there is no program 'ROOT', you can do:
sudo su - (and give your user current password)
su - (and give root password if you know any)
sync; sync; sync (this will force synchronization with your disks, so all the cached applications should write on disk)

Depends on what you are trying to do:
Reboot: # reboot
Power Off: # halt
# poweroff
to force the above use the switch -f but remember to issue the sync; sync; sync command

Grummler
23rd September, 2010, 02:39 AM
Hi there,

i've got the exact same problem here, regular shutdown hans up showing non progressing progress dots. I've got two screens, one of Them (#1, DVI) turns off, the other one (#2VGA) stays on. Post and Boot sequence are shown on #2. The Reboot works fine however.

but i've tried several command line shutdowns, with different outcomings:

forced shutdown after sync as suggested by enigmas freezes the screens (none switched off) and turns HDD off, cant tell anything else, doesn't react to anything but the power or reset switch.

From the virtual console it exits to the dots again and i cant see anything. ->hit reset :)

I entered the console via recovery option and did the same there, and it finally froze while displaying something hopefully useful, im a linux newbee though, this doesn't tell me much, it looks like it should be working...http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9755/screenlg.png

enigmas
23rd September, 2010, 03:08 PM
You could bring the console during shutdown with CTRL+ALT+F1 and switch between consoles with F... keys (F1 or Alt+F1, at least on other distribution, you can try other F keys of combination on Alt+F keys to bring console).

On older systems there were some problems with the APM/ACPI which didn't powered off the system, and remained in HALT state, so see if you can catch the screens during shutdown, also you can try and see the messeges system log file:
/var/log/messages
or you can issue dmesg as root

you can try also to perform as root:
modprobe apm power_off=1
and try a shutdown and see if it works.

If not, probably you should use some kernel parameters to boot up the system, disabling ACPI and enabling power_off.

I also saw some 'bug' for gutsy version but is not isolated: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/119308

Some times unix/linux is not for beginners ;).