PDA

View Full Version : need help for choosing a router please

tempo123
21st July, 2010, 08:18 PM
Hi, at the moment I have a simple talktalk wired modem that works well but has only one port.....Soon my wife is going to have a new laptop and I will treat myself to a dreambox so I need a better router with more ports. I have the cables cat5 ready in the walls( I laid them down when I was doing up my place) so I need help on choosing a better wired router modem that will do everything for me and create my local network.I need advice on the make, money, technical data to look for and basically everything.
Another question, do I still have to use the modem router that I have been given?Do I break any roules if I stop using that one?many thanks

DaveAngel1972
1st August, 2010, 08:31 PM
Personally I would always go for a Draytek 2820. They are a bit more expensive than most, but will do pretty much anything that you need. They will also support QOS which may come in useful if you are straming video and you have more than one device access the internet at anyone time.

SEG Communications (http://www.seg.co.uk/)

the man
2nd August, 2010, 07:48 PM
Hi, at the moment I have a simple talktalk wired modem that works well but has only one port.....Soon my wife is going to have a new laptop and I will treat myself to a dreambox so I need a better router with more ports. I have the cables cat5 ready in the walls( I laid them down when I was doing up my place) so I need help on choosing a better wired router modem that will do everything for me and create my local network.I need advice on the make, money, technical data to look for and basically everything.
Another question, do I still have to use the modem router that I have been given?Do I break any roules if I stop using that one?many thanks

must read Best Router for TT? - The TalkTalk Members Forums (http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47256)
get your self a dg834gt , I got a new one on ebay for about a ?10.24P , if you get a sky one its easy to flash, just pm me

on the dg834gt you put dgteams f/w upgrade on it and then thats the best modem you can use on talktalk trust me !
any probs setting up pm me mate

netgear dg834gt items - Get great deals on Computing, ADSL Modems Routers items on eBay UK! (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253 A1%257C72%253A3444&_nkw=netgear+dg834gt&_dmpt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=1&_sc=1)

Duke217
11th August, 2010, 03:55 PM
Hi. I'm running a Netgear FVX538. A bit exepnsive, but very stable, and the lifetime warranty is definitely a plus.

I recently reconfigured it with 2 WAN lines and the automatic failover works perfect !

I have absolutely no regrets, it works absolutely brilliantly.

hrabe
13th August, 2010, 10:32 AM
see the project openwrt.org for supported hw...

starsky
13th August, 2010, 01:26 PM
Linksys WRT54 + dd-wrt !

bacala1
14th August, 2010, 02:08 AM
Check out cnet reviews

das-1874
15th August, 2010, 12:43 PM
I agree with the man go for the Netgear DG834GT. Netgear stuff is good quality and easy to setup