PDA

View Full Version : the capacity on my hard drive

fearlessimon
30th November, 2008, 02:43 PM
on my hard drive i have HDD (C:) and DATA (D:) disk c has a total capacity of 37.80 GB and disk D has 111 GB is this normal as i have to save alot of my stuff on disk D if not how do i change more room to disk C .........have not long started learning with pc`s so any help would be great thanks.....:turtle:

mairtin
30th November, 2008, 03:44 PM
This is a fairly normal setup. Your C: partition will hold your Operating System files and your D: paritition is set aside to hold your personal files (downloads, photos, etc).

It's a good idea to keep these seperate in case you need to reinstall your OS, that way you wont lose any of your personal data.

When your saving stuff browse to a folder on your D: drive or create a shortcut on your desktop to a folder on your D: drive, open it and save files there.

Cheers,

Mairtin

peggimon
3rd December, 2008, 05:47 PM
Hi,
I would follow the above advice and leave it as it is...
The only way to create more space on your C: drive is to delete the partitions and create new ones, this would mean you loosing all your data and having to re-install the OS...

There are 3rd party applications that say you can change your partition sizes without having to re-install, but be careful in case you loose it all anyway...

Cheers..:dito:

Danril
3rd December, 2008, 09:07 PM
There's no real need to change the size of your C: partition given its current size. You want your C: drive to have a nice bit of space free to help keep it running smoothly.

I have a partition on my hard drive containing my OS with 20Gb for the C: drive and 80Gb D:drive. I've then shoved an old hard drive in my tower and have a couple of external drives. My aim is to have at least 3 copies of all my important files in case of failures. Overkill I know but better safe than sorry, plus you can then lend out an external to pals etc. The external HD's are only in use periodically when I want to back up or use the files that aren't on any of my internal drives.

gmb45
12th December, 2008, 06:37 AM
get an external hd fairly cheap nowadays and you cant lose any data(crashes etc)