PDA

View Full Version : ASA rules on Virgin Media 'Lies' adverts

Devilfish
13th February, 2008, 03:55 PM
Controversial Virgin Media adverts claiming its broadband is "officially the fastest and most reliable" do not break the rules, the Advertising Standards Authority announced today.

A series of radio, national press and billboard adverts also made an issue of Virgin's fibre optic cable compared with competitors' copper wire.

Posters and press ads were headed "Truth, Lies and Broadband" and stated: "...right now, in terms of broadband, there are two types of household in the UK. Half of us can access cable broadband. This is delivered via a fibre optic cable - meaning it is officially the fastest and most reliable available...

"The other half of the country can get a standard connection - also known as ADSL (which stands for something tedious). Most companies, like BT, AOL, Tiscali, Sky, TalkTalk and so on, only offer this.

"We provide an award-winning version for people who can't get cable. ADSL uses your phone line so it slows down the further you live from the telephone exchange. This means you might not be getting the speed you've paid for."

They attracted 22 complaints to the ASA including from Sky and TalkTalk.

Sky said it believed Virgin used copper wire between street cabinets and the home. It also thought the adverts may give "the misleading impression that cable broadband speeds would never slow down, and that Virgin Media customers would always be able to achieve consistent broadband speeds".

Sky and TalkTalk, among other complaints, also pointed out ADSL coverage was not "half" but about 98%. And they said Virgin was only "the fastest and most reliable", at the time, with its 10Mbps product, not the standard 2Mbps.

However, the ASA upheld none of the complaints.

Virgin told the regulator that for the last stretch of connections to homes copper-coated coaxial cables were used. The ASA decided: "We considered that most consumers would understand the term 'copper wire', in the context of these ads, to refer to the copper wires of an ADSL connection.

"Because we considered that the ads were making a comparison between the different cable and ADSL network technologies, and because the co-axial section of the cable network was a small proportion of the overall fibre optic connection, we concluded that the claims... were unlikely to mislead."

On claims about the speed it noted explanations in the small print and said: "We considered that the basis of the comparison with Virgin's 10Mbps cable broadband was clear, and was supported by independent data from Epitiro."

Virgin today welcomed the result which is the latest in a string of rows between it and Sky over comparative advertising.

"We feel it is important for consumers to understand that whilst we offer both cable and ADSL broadband, our unique cable network offers the best performing broadband speeds, regardless of where a person lives from the exchange," said a spokesman.

"We continue to offer our customers the best broadband service and speeds and have recently announced plans to upgrade our 4Mb customers to a 10Mb service, free of charge, as well as aiming to have our new 50Mb service available to over 9m homes by the end of the year."

thered
14th January, 2009, 06:35 PM
:goodpost:couldnt agree more m8 its like your reading my mind

C64
14th January, 2009, 07:56 PM
:goodpost:couldnt agree more m8 its like your reading my mind

I think you'll find that Devilfish has quoted an article rather than having expressed his own opinion. :)

dctyper
14th January, 2009, 08:27 PM
yet another pointless debate between competitors

ITS A SCAM !
14th January, 2009, 09:26 PM
I agree with the whole fibre optic issue. When cable was installed where i live, i was led to believe that fibre optic cable was used along the entire length of the cable run. Only since looking at the cable when moving the cable, i noticed that it was a copper coax...therefore i feel that telling people that the broadband is fibre optic is somewhat misleading. Maybe they should state that nearly 100% of the network is fibre optic, and not play on words. This time agree with sky & BT.

Dazzonamission
15th January, 2009, 10:46 AM
I am fed up with the way VM advertise their services as Fibre Optic, it's misleading and it's not fair on the customer who genuinely thinks he/she is going to get a install crew installing a state of the art fibre cable into his/her home.
Can you imagine a VM engineer installing fibre into someones home... it's just not practical, the crew would take so much longer to carry out the installation, then the customer would have to have a optical receiver installed to turn the optical signals (frequencies) back into a electrical signal that a pc or tv can manage.
I get asked quiet frequently will it be a Fibre Optic cable installed and i have to reassure customers that through the propaganda that VM have created with a totally useless advertising campain, you should get approx over 90% of the speed to which you have signed up for even though it's over a analogue coaxial cable.
Without doubt the VM broadband is a fantastic product and why VM need to complicate matters with exagerated advertising is beyond me.

dctyper
15th January, 2009, 06:54 PM
at the end of the day, they are quicker though

MightyMouth
17th January, 2009, 09:54 PM
even though it's over a analogue coaxial cable.

Its not an analogue coaxial cable, it is just a coaxial cable which is clearly quite capable of delivering a digital signal and it makes absolutely no difference whether you have FTTH or FTTC, it is still a vastly superior infrastructure which is why BT is deploying it now. Having Copper for the last 100m makes no real difference to your actual speed at this point in time as the copper cable is more than capable of handling the bandwidth that Virgin or anyone else offers currently.

The thing that annoys me about Virgin is their "unlimited" claim when they throttle after 22 minutes of use. If you offer 20MB BB and I use it to its potential for 22 minutes and you say I am abusing it or using more than my share and throttle it to 25% then it is clearly not unlimited.

Dazzonamission
19th January, 2009, 07:11 PM
Its not an analogue coaxial cable, it is just a coaxial cable which is clearly quite capable of delivering a digital signal and it makes absolutely no difference whether you have FTTH or FTTC, it is still a vastly superior infrastructure which is why BT is deploying it now. Having Copper for the last 100m makes no real difference to your actual speed at this point in time as the copper cable is more than capable of handling the bandwidth that Virgin or anyone else offers currently.

The thing that annoys me about Virgin is their "unlimited" claim when they throttle after 22 minutes of use. If you offer 20MB BB and I use it to its potential for 22 minutes and you say I am abusing it or using more than my share and throttle it to 25% then it is clearly not unlimited.

I agree totally, My reference to analogue was merely what we at Virgin Media call analogue services ie coaxial, only fibre gets expressed as a digital circuit.

gmb45
21st January, 2009, 07:22 AM
Controversial Virgin Media adverts claiming its broadband is "officially the fastest and most reliable" do not break the rules, the Advertising Standards Authority announced today.

A series of radio, national press and billboard adverts also made an issue of Virgin's fibre optic cable compared with competitors' copper wire.

Posters and press ads were headed "Truth, Lies and Broadband" and stated: "...right now, in terms of broadband, there are two types of household in the UK. Half of us can access cable broadband. This is delivered via a fibre optic cable - meaning it is officially the fastest and most reliable available...

"The other half of the country can get a standard connection - also known as ADSL (which stands for something tedious). Most companies, like BT, AOL, Tiscali, Sky, TalkTalk and so on, only offer this.

"We provide an award-winning version for people who can't get cable. ADSL uses your phone line so it slows down the further you live from the telephone exchange. This means you might not be getting the speed you've paid for."

They attracted 22 complaints to the ASA including from Sky and TalkTalk.

Sky said it believed Virgin used copper wire between street cabinets and the home. It also thought the adverts may give "the misleading impression that cable broadband speeds would never slow down, and that Virgin Media customers would always be able to achieve consistent broadband speeds".

Sky and TalkTalk, among other complaints, also pointed out ADSL coverage was not "half" but about 98%. And they said Virgin was only "the fastest and most reliable", at the time, with its 10Mbps product, not the standard 2Mbps.

However, the ASA upheld none of the complaints.

Virgin told the regulator that for the last stretch of connections to homes copper-coated coaxial cables were used. The ASA decided: "We considered that most consumers would understand the term 'copper wire', in the context of these ads, to refer to the copper wires of an ADSL connection.

"Because we considered that the ads were making a comparison between the different cable and ADSL network technologies, and because the co-axial section of the cable network was a small proportion of the overall fibre optic connection, we concluded that the claims... were unlikely to mislead."

On claims about the speed it noted explanations in the small print and said: "We considered that the basis of the comparison with Virgin's 10Mbps cable broadband was clear, and was supported by independent data from Epitiro."

Virgin today welcomed the result which is the latest in a string of rows between it and Sky over comparative advertising.

"We feel it is important for consumers to understand that whilst we offer both cable and ADSL broadband, our unique cable network offers the best performing broadband speeds, regardless of where a person lives from the exchange," said a spokesman.

"We continue to offer our customers the best broadband service and speeds and have recently announced plans to upgrade our 4Mb customers to a 10Mb service, free of charge, as well as aiming to have our new 50Mb service available to over 9m homes by the end of the year."

:goodpost: