PDA

View Full Version : Motorised or Toroidal Dish

Fano
30th November, 2008, 06:07 PM
Hi guys,
Looking for a bit of advice.
I've been planning on getting a multi sat system for a long time and I've been reading up alot on it,never really got round to actually putting it up though.
My house faces due south and has a clear view of the southern sky .
I am primarily interested in 28e,19e,16e,13e, and 1w.
I have a Dm500s already.
The house is exposed on the south west side and acts as a wind tunnel for gales up the valley,its pretty wild out there.
I have 2 options.
a)Toroidal dish on back wall
or
b)Motorised 1m Gibertini Aluminium Dish
As I have a row of low trees around 3 sides of the back of the garden I cant ground mount the dish ,it isnt feasible anyway.
If I wall mount it and motorise it ,I think it would have to be a Diseqc motor as I reckon a 36v motor is too big to wall mount ?
The motorised option is cheaper but I'm afraid the winds will knacker it and I dont want to be up and down ladders realigning it.
Anyone have any opinions ?

benny/9
30th November, 2008, 07:50 PM
Hi guys,
Looking for a bit of advice.
I've been planning on getting a multi sat system for a long time and I've been reading up alot on it,never really got round to actually putting it up though.
My house faces due south and has a clear view of the southern sky .
I am primarily interested in 28e,19e,16e,13e, and 1w.
I have a Dm500s already.
The house is exposed on the south west side and acts as a wind tunnel for gales up the valley,its pretty wild out there.
I have 2 options.
a)Toroidal dish on back wall
or
b)Motorised 1m Gibertini Aluminium Dish
As I have a row of low trees around 3 sides of the back of the garden I cant ground mount the dish ,it isnt feasible anyway.
If I wall mount it and motorise it ,I think it would have to be a Diseqc motor as I reckon a 36v motor is too big to wall mount ?
The motorised option is cheaper but I'm afraid the winds will knacker it and I dont want to be up and down ladders realigning it.
Anyone have any opinions ?
i have a 1.2 chn master dish wall mounted useing a 36v 18" superjack
motor and have no problems getting signals from 42e to 30w
the wall mount is a 3" L shape bracket and has two stabiliser arms under it
and the wind never moves my dish, the only thing is anouther box under the tv. a v-box to convert diseqc to 36v

Fano
1st December, 2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks Benny.
So something like this will do the biz ?
H-2-H Mount Jaeger HQ 1224 SMR (-EL) inkl. Actuator Motor im HM Sat Shop (http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/motoren-positionierer/h-2-h-mount-jaeger-hq-1224-smr-el-inkl-actuato.html)
I am going to use it with a Gibertini 1m Aluminium Dish.
I've read that the Superjacks are hard to attach Dishes to ,you need special adapters ,is that correct ?
Is there much wiring needed for the setup ?

benny/9
1st December, 2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks Benny.
So something like this will do the biz ?
H-2-H Mount Jaeger HQ 1224 SMR (-EL) inkl. Actuator Motor im HM Sat Shop (http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/motoren-positionierer/h-2-h-mount-jaeger-hq-1224-smr-el-inkl-actuato.html)
I am going to use it with a Gibertini 1m Aluminium Dish.
I've read that the Superjacks are hard to attach Dishes to ,you need special adapters ,is that correct ?
Is there much wiring needed for the setup ?
that link shows useing a superjack motor they are mounted with swivel joints
and a very easy to fit, they use 4 wires two for the motor one to a read switch and one to ground, these connect to the v-box and the the lnb cable connects though the v-box to the lnb, here is how to set up with a v-box

Fano
1st December, 2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks Benny.
So that mount ,a V box ,a dish and some 4 wire cable and I'm sorted ?
I already have some coax cable and a Titanium Lnb plus connectors.
A friend of mine is a metal fabricator so I will get him to make me a good wall mount.

mrga
10th December, 2010, 01:37 PM
I replaced my motorizes system with toroidal T-90 antenna with 8 LNB-s and I am very happy with it :)

No more waiting for antenna move, no more problems with ice and actuator, less satellites but it's enough. I can put 16 LNB's, but I couldn't get 16 port diseqC.

dctyper
10th December, 2010, 02:13 PM
i have a wavefield ds 55 picking up 13 19 and 28 no problems. solid as a rock and fast zapping

there is a chap on here who has 8 lnb on his!!

GastonJ
11th December, 2010, 10:53 AM
I replaced my motorizes system with toroidal T-90 antenna with 8 LNB-s and I am very happy with it :)

No more waiting for antenna move, no more problems with ice and actuator, less satellites but it's enough. I can put 16 LNB's, but I couldn't get 16 port diseqC.

I have a 16 port diseqc switch for just such purposes. I'm on a T55 atm using 8 LNB's, with every intention of buying a T90 in the spring and increasing the number of LNB's. If you want the info I'll try dig out the details of my switch, I seem to recall it cost me about ?45.

dctyper
11th December, 2010, 11:22 AM
and here he is lol

GastonJ
11th December, 2010, 01:59 PM
Hiya again dctyper :) yes I'm thinking of upgrading my dish to a T90, doubling the number of LNB's to 16, adding at least 1 maybe 3 more 16 port switches and upgrading all the LNB's to quad to give me 2 PVR feeds to my DM7025 and maybe a VU+ Duo. Ahh all the fun of it. The most expensive part in this is the LNB's...

dctyper
11th December, 2010, 03:32 PM
what lnb you looking at, i tried puting a quad on but it wouldnt fit!!

dc

GastonJ
11th December, 2010, 05:46 PM
I already have a quad in position for 28e so people can watch sly in the lounge as well. Any 40mm LNB should fit. I also got adaptors with my LNB brackets that allow me to fit thinner LNBS, which I have a couple of. The slim horned LNB's are a waste of time and not that good tbh.

Fano
13th December, 2010, 03:33 AM
I'm tempted to get a T90 this Spring.
I have a 1m motorised dish and I'm fed up of having to realign it every few months plus the idea of switching instantaneously between satellites appeals to me.
Can go from 1w to 39e in an instant ,big bonus in my opinion.
I love to channel hop !:burnout:

GastonJ
14th December, 2010, 08:18 PM
and if you use multi-ouput LNB's it allows everyone else to watch or record other channels while you're syrfing looking for whatever program you want to watch... which tbh is the main thing for me anyway. Of course I'm still going to have to spend more money on Disecq swithgear to take the quad LNB's into account and have all the fun of setting them up, let alone aligning a new dish. Whatever you do, don't think it's a 5 minute job, it's not.

Cheers

GastonJ
14th December, 2010, 10:23 PM
Just found the detail on my 16 port Diseqc switch. It's an Emp Centauri S16/1 PCP-W3 If I recall rightly I bought it from Sateuropa, really good shop. I'm sure you'll find the link if you google it.

HTH

RimaNTSS
11th April, 2011, 06:32 PM
Hi!
This is my first post here. I like T-90; it gives very good possibility for multi- LNB installation. Instead of getting 1/16 Diseqc I use cascading of Diseqc 1/4 and then 1/10. Several of my LNBs are quads, so if there is need (I do not have such yet) than it is possible to get independent watching on 4 TVs.

setfiretorain
12th April, 2011, 01:10 AM
Nice setup that is benny ;)