PDA

View Full Version : Intel i7 950 processor

mit2007
3rd August, 2010, 03:34 PM
I want to know what people think of Intel i7 950 processor.
because i want to buy one of them. just to make this processor is not crap please let me know. and what is the difference with i7, i5 and i3.

Regards
mit2007

mit2007
3rd August, 2010, 03:35 PM
dam it is expensive processor. crap.

kfeng
13th August, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hi, if budget is a problem, just purchase an i7 920 and overclock the processor.

Upgrade the stock heatsink fan cooler and replace with a larger heatsink fan combo, and go overclock.

Google would be your best friend regarding "how to overclock core i7 920".

kfeng
13th August, 2010, 12:41 PM
core i7, i5 , and i3 are different processors series. among the core i7, they have two different types of sockets which they fit into. LGA 1156 vs LGA 1366. Please make sure to purchase the right motherboard with correct socket for the correct core i7 processor.

You can refer to the links below for the differences.
Intel Core - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i3)
Intel Core i5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i5)
Intel Core i7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i7)

any more questions, consult google as everyone does.
thanks

bmwtitanio
13th August, 2010, 07:46 PM
Too expensive comparing its performance with a i7-920.

I have a i7-920 running at 4.2 GHz (water cooled).

terraphantm
15th August, 2010, 10:40 AM
As others have mentioned, you're better off buying a lower-end i7 and OCing it. I've got an i7 920 that's been running at 4.0 GHz 24/7 for more than 6 months. An i7 930 should clock up even easier since it has a higher multiplier.

mit2007
15th August, 2010, 11:11 PM
thanks everyone.

Iroll
15th August, 2010, 11:19 PM
You can buy an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T which is a 6-core, unlocked multiplier processor, that can be over clocked like crazy which would put out the same or more for less.

Sirus
15th August, 2010, 11:25 PM
The i3's are dual cores(with Hyper Threading - meaning 4 threads) and have an onboard GPU

The i5's are quad cores and are the best to go with for now

The i7's are quad cores with Hyper Threading meaning 8 virtual cores(if you can afford to go with one then of course why not)

If you're trying to work out a good build then go for a core i5 as there's more i5/i7 revisions coming out and it's pointless going for something expensive now and seeing it overtook in months... if you go for a well priced i5 then in about a year or so you can easily get an i7(skt 1156) for a cheap performance boost

Also as said skt 1366 is a high end socket for better performing i7's and higher memory bandwidth.. the socket 1156 boards take a bit of a performance hit, but are gonna be well supported.. go with a socket 1156.... core i7s overclocked run very very hot and need a very good heatsink or water cooling, and I heard they suffer a great deal of microstuttering in some games unless you have a very highend rig with very fast ram and multi gpu's on a socket 1366 board

The super high priced i7's are for very fast memory bandwidth and triple channel ram, which gives a massive performance boost over the lower priced ones .. so overclocking lowend i7s won't give you the same performance an 800 quid i7 does

Iroll
15th August, 2010, 11:40 PM
If you have the money why not just get the intel i7 980x extreme edition.

Sirus
15th August, 2010, 11:51 PM
You can buy an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T which is a 6-core, unlocked multiplier processor, that can be over clocked like crazy which would put out the same or more for less.

That is a good idea if the rig is strictly for gaming, as it gives near the same performance in most games.. and is a cheaper build mainly because AM3/AM2+ motherboards are cheaper..and you could put one of those phenoms quad/hexa cores together for around 300

But the core i5/i7's are more future proof.. they have onboard controllers which does away with the northbridge and gives a performance boost

Also if you do more than game, then the intels are way better option.. and the socket is new and gonna be supported... no telling if AMD will drop the AM3 socket with their new upcoming cpu's, meaning you're stuck with next to no upgrade option in the coming years

halo
16th August, 2010, 10:36 PM
I agree with Sirus but also for a couple hundred dollars cheaper an amd only takes a couple of more seconds for productivity.