PDA

View Full Version : modem connection

wongers
4th August, 2010, 07:18 PM
i have a humax satellite box which has bbc i player capabilities my pc is upstairs but doesn't have a wireless router if i split the signal to my virgin box and connect a modem/router to my humax box using that signal would i be able to get bbc i player on my t.v.any help appreciated

Bobiskey
7th August, 2010, 10:59 AM
If i understand properly, You want to take the VM signal coming in to your house, split it in two, send 1 to puter, upstairs and 1 to a router and from the router to the sat box. ?

If am right, read on, if am wrong turn to page 42..... errr don't read on. :)

If am right, then no it won't work. VM will assign you a single public IP address, 2 devices can not have the same public IP address. In this case it would be PC and Router trying to use 1 single IP address.

What you would need to do is run the VM signal into the router. This would mean only the router has a Public IP adress, Then run one connection up to your PC and 1 connection to the sat box. These 2 would be assigned a private IP address each and with the use of magic (read nat and dynamic nat) both devices could share the single public IP address and IPlayer would work.