PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on buying an eeprom reader

ninja123
6th August, 2010, 04:28 PM
any help on the above would be great, im looking for an eeprom reader, mainly for automotive use, ie radio codes immobs etc, and for a complete novice to use!!
Any help would be great.

K33sT
10th August, 2010, 11:07 PM
up ! :rock:

gtmech
15th August, 2010, 06:38 AM
any help on the above would be great, im looking for an eeprom reader, mainly for automotive use, ie radio codes immobs etc, and for a complete novice to use!!
Any help would be great.

X Prog-M and UPA seem to be the 2 popular ones they use here. I am waiting for my UPA to arrive, hope its as good as i have heard it is.

obdmaster
15th August, 2010, 08:39 AM
i use clone upa and clone xprog-m, both work brilliantly. UPA is better for 8 leg eeproms, as it reads and verifys without problem first time every time, on eeproms i find xprog-m moaning about "bad contacts" all the time.

But for mcu,s i find myself going for the xprog-m , because if mcu has security most of time xprog-m can by-pass it.

nutloose
16th August, 2010, 06:15 PM
omega orange

good: works great with loads of eeps and micros
doesn't byte swap unless you tell it (or do it wrong)
zedbull's tool of choice
loads and loads of adaptors and icsp stuff including EWS

bad: 29fX00 isnt supported

keydoctor
17th August, 2010, 05:52 PM
For Immobiliser the all round favourit would be the Omega MTRK & Orange.
They offer various packages, build your own to suit yourself.

Scorpio-LK (http://www.scorpio-lk.com/eng_index/index.html)

You'll find however with all things, one reader is never enough!!

Seeprog is also excellent for EEprom

ybot
17th August, 2010, 07:54 PM
I have andromeda research. It will read a 93 chips in circuit. I also used it on several hc05 . They have good support too.

bdc
17th August, 2010, 08:08 PM
PonyProg is easy and works great also

PierreTheron
17th August, 2010, 08:16 PM
A cheap programmer i use , not to let me down yet is,is GQ-4x.
regards:idea:

mishu_b
24th August, 2010, 10:30 AM
home made ... cheapest ...

br

Albathebrave
24th August, 2010, 04:50 PM
I have a true usb based on the pickit 2 but with dil sockets also on board,easy install etc and only cpl of jumpers on board,so kept simple.

Waiting to remove 93a66 eeprom from before i comment on how good ir works as i will sub this eeprom with 93c66 if its ok to do that.

Tried a "clip" but no luck,so need to remove eeprom and ordered a soic/sop 8 to dil adapter 150 mil for reading/writing on dil socket on board.

My car ( toyota iq ) is not listed in tachopro calc etc,so if i manage to read orig dump and post here will someone know what to change to correct the odometer?

thx in advance :smokin: